Good Cat Litter?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have been using Tidy Cat scoopable for years. Was buying it at Target when they had good deals. But they stopped putting it on sale.
Hoping to find a cheaper brand that is as good. I have 7 cats and all other brands are usually more. I have tried fresh step and tractor supply. Not impressed. Thinking of store brands. Reviews are 50/50 :/

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Walmart brand Special Kitty works as well as any litter I've tried, and is usually one of the cheapest.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was using Arm N Hammer, but it started sticking to his feet. If you don't care too terribly much whether it's scoopable and, again, if you have a Walmart nearby where you could pick up from or select from instore stock, Littermaid Walnut is incredibly good in that it has NO dust and doesn't stick, at least not for me and my boy :)
(ooo, I'll have to pick up a bag of Special Kitty next time I'm in :thumbsup:)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's the Petco brand of litter - I don't know if they still do this but they had a deal where if you purchased one of their buckets to fill, you receive a discounted price. I started to find that it's a bit dusty, but there again, if you wanted to add in just a bit of the littermaid walnut to stretch the budget it would help with the dustiness.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
There's the Petco brand of litter - I don't know if they still do this but they had a deal where if you purchased one of their buckets to fill, you receive a discounted price. I started to find that it's a bit dusty, but there again, if you wanted to add in just a bit of the littermaid walnut to stretch the budget it would help with the dustiness.
I used the Petco brand for a while but found it very dusty with poor odor control. Adding the walnut might help, but I'm not sure I want to keep experimenting when I've found something that works for me.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I apologize, GoldyCat GoldyCat I should have clarified, --I was thinking of the OP in case Walmart isn't an option :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ive been reading reviews and the biggest problem is dust.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It seems like it's inherent in the bentonite clay no matter the brand, and I guess dr elsey's crystals, or maybe crystals in general, are as well.

Mixing litters, as mentioned :), works for me as well to cut the dust.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can second that recommendation EmersonandEvie EmersonandEvie . I tried it out mainly due to the good price and I'm really pleased with it. I don't find it dusty, I'm not finding white paw prints on any of the furniture, I have always cleaned the litter boxes daily and I'm not detecting any odor. It clumps well and I just ordered two more 40lb bags. This is the one we have been using: https://www.chewy.com/frisco-fresh-scent-multi-cat-clumping/dp/133043.
The nice thing about it is while it is scented it isn't overwhelming. I can barely detect it when I open the bag.