Good? Bad? Ugly? Lots Of Questions!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JBMOA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's always a bit traumatic when cats fight. Of my crew, there are weekly, screaming/terror/horror fights, between a very energetic Blue (a siamese / tonkinese mix ), and her black/white tuxedo sister. It really does suck, and I'm always talking to Blue and trying to distract her!

The main key though is, how are your cats behaving, outside of these events? As long as they are both appearing confident (nobody should be slinking around the edges of a room), and nobody is just growling at the very sight of the other, I think all is good in your home!
For the past two days, they seemed fine. They would lay by each-other in the living room with us, share a food bowl of wet food, play with the same toy, and follow each other around. I don't see any bullying or scared behavior. Both eat out of the same bowl with no problems. I don't see anyone blocking the other from food or the litter box. They actually look like they are chasing each other around the house at times. One will run up the stairs and wait at the top. The other will follow. Then one run down and the other will follow. I don't see any fighting and they are actually making a playful sound when running. They can also walk away from each other with no issues.

I think the trigger is my bedroom. It was where both fights were. I think my current cat just gets a little more territorial in there because it is where we all sleep.

Do your cats have fur flying in their fights? I've only seen the nails come out twice during the two fights. When they play, I don't see them or the horrible howling. I also wonder if it is still figuring out the top cat. I'm just not sure how many fights is too much.

Sorry this is so long, but I'm just giving as much detail as possible in case I'm missing something good or bad.

JBMOA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with Feebysowner. I wouldn’t have let them be together for a month! Given the second fight maybe two months!!! Please take it slow. Use a crate to switch them if need be.

Also my boy Dante (R.I.P.) used to get into the odds scuffle with my mom’s reformed feral Chester ..... did get a small scar on the bridge of his nose from the Chess....... and they got along pretty well. They did have to sort out their hierarchy though.

:goodluck:
Thank you! I had planned on keeping them separated longer, but it got unbearable for both cats when locked up. I would let one out and lock up the other. Both struggled. I hadn't thought of a crate. I'll look into that today. Where did you keep it?

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do your cats have fur flying in their fights? I've only seen the nails come out twice during the two fights. When they play, I don't see them or the horrible howling. I also wonder if it is still figuring out the top cat. I'm just not sure how many fights is too much.
Not often, but yes, fur will flow sometimes. Blue has just never quite learned to stop. It's not aggression, she justs gets fixated and over-stimulated. (I mean, see my profile pic - on that day, she was even trying to figure out if fire was something that could entertain her!)

I don't believe cats have an "alpha / top cat" structure, like dogs. Their interactions are more about peaceful co-existence, and mutually-agreed upon interactions, meals, playtime, and if they are really really friendly, grooming.

That your cats will relax / sleep in the same room, and eating together, tells me they do not need to be isolated. As far as your bedroom, you might just need to be sure there are places (i.e, a cat tree, beds, etc) both cats can go and claim. Even a simple bath towel, on any flat surface (say a dresser or night stand), turns that surface into a cat bed!

JBMOA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just wanted to update! So far we haven’t had anymore fights. :) We have been separating them at night because we feel the fight was over who sleeps in the bed. I feel horrible locking out my new cat who just wants to cuddle all night. I’m hoping we can get over that soon. I’ve been in bed with both trying to show it’s ok. We will get there. I am so thankful to everyone who helped me the last two weeks while I panicked!