Going to TRY taking Simba to the vet tomorrow, oh wow...

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Well our old guy Simba, 21, 22, 100, we'll never know, has been making congestion noises the last few days on and off and sneezing, and of course he isn't eating as much from it, but he is nibbling a bit and still drinking but his nose is so warm and dry, so we are going to TRY to catch him and take him to a vet right down the street from us as we feel he needs help, we don't want to let this go on very long if he does need help, but we are terrified of doing this, he is the one that we had to get a woman in from the Cat Shack to net him years ago to get his teeth pulled and it was so horrible that she said "I hope I never have to do that again", I even had to help her and it was a war...but we don't want him to get sicker, so we are going to try the local vet only 2 minutes away if that. We don't want him in the car any longer than we have to, Deb is so afraid that he will bang around in the carrier and break something, I surely hope not, but this is going to be a job just trying to catch him and get him into the carrier!!

So please pray for us and wish us luck, it's 8:40 tomorrow morning that we are going, oh God....:gingercat: :eek2: :help: :eek3:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One of mine fights tooth and nail getting into the carrier, but once he's there he's very timid. BUT, now I leave the carriers out with the door off and they actually go in there and sleep and just escape if things get too much for them with the TV blaring, etc. You might try that (probably too late for this particular visit). Any box or laundry basket will do, just have to quickly put some sort of top on it while they are in it and off you go (after securing whatever you use for a top if not a carrier!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Well after not getting much sleep from having this on our minds last night this morning we got the carrier, put it right in front of him as he was laying down, Deb "guided" him from behind and he had no choice but to walk into it, and we could tell he wasn't feeling well since he was pretty quiet so we got him in it and there, and we think Stanley had something to do with it along with many others that we prayed for help to!! The vet was a young girl, and she of course started with the speech about bloodwork but we declined, not at this stage of his life and age, plus we wouldn't put him through anything at this point anyway, and so many of our cats we were told "the bloodwork looks fine" and two days later they were dead, so she understood not to do it. She remarked about how skinny he is, and his age, and said "he might pass this weekend" and we could put him down and I said "he's been thin for awhile now, he's still spry, please just check him for congestion and give him something for it and I'd bet he'll start eating again" so she did. He was very congested, but she listened to his heart and lungs, he did not have a fever, actually was walking around the exam room, and she told us a story about another couple with a very similar situation with an older cat, they gave him a shot and he perked up, so we have a feeling this is how he will be. They gave him a shot, they also clipped his claws, first time in many years, but they had to hold him down for that but they did it, but we got him seen, we knew if we didn't do it he'd get worse, maybe get Pneumonia or something, and this was around 9 this morning and he's already drinking and eating a bit more, and his meows are getting stronger, so we think he will respond to the shot like Samantha did about a month ago when she had a tooth fall out and was sneezing and congested, they wanted to run this test and that test and we said we'd "wait and see" how she responded and she is fine, so hopefully he will be too. But he jumped off the exam table onto the floor, and he is so thin we hope he didn't hurt himself, but he seems okay, they were as startled as we were that he did that!

This is WAY too much for us lately; 11 days ago my Dad who has Aphasia and Dementia had a stroke, they painted the bleakest picture, put him on Hospice, his right side was paralyzed, he wouldn't eat for them and so on, but he's been back with my mom in the nursing home since Wednesday, is moving his right arm and leg, is eating for the nurses, so his story and Simba's are running parallel sort of to each other's, but it would be two HUGE hits to lose them, so as long as they are getting better and want to stick around we surely want them here!!

Thanks for the prayers, they are helping!! Deb & I just hope we can take it!!! :eek2: :oops:

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so glad you were able to get Simba to the vet and he's doing well after his visit. What was the shot he was given?

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you were able to get Simba to the vet and he's doing well after his visit. What was the shot he was given?
I believe it was Convenia, same one that Samantha got a month ago and it cleared her up quickly.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
He is now back to going into his "cave" in the kitchen like he did before, but we're sure it's because he is still shook up from this ordeal today. He ate some chicken for Deb a bit ago and was drinking, I gave him some cheese but he didn't eat it, but we know it'll take time for him to get back. He just used the litter box so that's good, but we hope he doesn't start hiding again. But we bet he feels better with his claws trimmed. We just hope he didn't hurt himself when he jumped off the table, but we think we'd notice that by now?

I didn't care for the fact that the vet started talking about "he could pass" or "putting him down" before she even examined him, but I'll chalk it up to inexperience. She saw that he was thin but the other girl working there said "he's older, people get thin too as they age" which is true. But we got him there and we're sure it'll take some time for him to start eating more, but he is at least interested in it and it takes a bit for the shot to start working. When we go into the kitchen he comes right out to greet us like before!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It does seem like a pre-emptive strike to immediately bring up euthanasia, but if she was competent otherwise I would probably let it go. If she did not know you, it might have been an incorrect assumption given his age, or even a sort of inept way of warning you that he might pass on. She may also be accustomed to seeing clients who are not putting as much work into caring for their pets as you are, especially with an elderly one.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
It does seem like a pre-emptive strike to immediately bring up euthanasia, but if she was competent otherwise I would probably let it go. If she did not know you, it might have been an incorrect assumption given his age, or even a sort of inept way of warning you that he might pass on. She may also be accustomed to seeing clients who are not putting as much work into caring for their pets as you are, especially with an elderly one.
Yes, we only picked this vet because they are right down the street, and we wanted him out for the least amount of time possible, didn't want to drive him far away, the longer the ride the worse they seem to get especially we thought him. But our vet was full, and we were NOT going to go to the ER vet and wait 9 years and pay a crazy amount of money like before, plus we have lost 3 cats there, the only one to ever come out of there alive is Sylvester.

She asked "how long has he been this skinny?" so she was basing his chances on that before she even did anything and that's okay, but she should've examined him first and later said something about him, but she looked like she was about 15 years old, I know she wasn't but she sure looked it!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Well after not getting much sleep from having this on our minds last night this morning we got the carrier, put it right in front of him as he was laying down, Deb "guided" him from behind and he had no choice but to walk into it, and we could tell he wasn't feeling well since he was pretty quiet so we got him in it and there, and we think Stanley had something to do with it along with many others that we prayed for help to!! The vet was a young girl, and she of course started with the speech about bloodwork but we declined, not at this stage of his life and age, plus we wouldn't put him through anything at this point anyway, and so many of our cats we were told "the bloodwork looks fine" and two days later they were dead, so she understood not to do it. She remarked about how skinny he is, and his age, and said "he might pass this weekend" and we could put him down and I said "he's been thin for awhile now, he's still spry, please just check him for congestion and give him something for it and I'd bet he'll start eating again" so she did. He was very congested, but she listened to his heart and lungs, he did not have a fever, actually was walking around the exam room, and she told us a story about another couple with a very similar situation with an older cat, they gave him a shot and he perked up, so we have a feeling this is how he will be. They gave him a shot, they also clipped his claws, first time in many years, but they had to hold him down for that but they did it, but we got him seen, we knew if we didn't do it he'd get worse, maybe get Pneumonia or something, and this was around 9 this morning and he's already drinking and eating a bit more, and his meows are getting stronger, so we think he will respond to the shot like Samantha did about a month ago when she had a tooth fall out and was sneezing and congested, they wanted to run this test and that test and we said we'd "wait and see" how she responded and she is fine, so hopefully he will be too. But he jumped off the exam table onto the floor, and he is so thin we hope he didn't hurt himself, but he seems okay, they were as startled as we were that he did that!

This is WAY too much for us lately; 11 days ago my Dad who has Aphasia and Dementia had a stroke, they painted the bleakest picture, put him on Hospice, his right side was paralyzed, he wouldn't eat for them and so on, but he's been back with my mom in the nursing home since Wednesday, is moving his right arm and leg, is eating for the nurses, so his story and Simba's are running parallel sort of to each other's, but it would be two HUGE hits to lose them, so as long as they are getting better and want to stick around we surely want them here!!

Thanks for the prayers, they are helping!! Deb & I just hope we can take it!!! :eek2: :oops:
So glad to hear that both your dad and Simba are doing better.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad to hear that both your dad and Simba are doing better.
Thank you. Simba was right in the kitchen ready to eat today and he ate good and is drinking. We don't hear that awful congestion noise anymore, just a little breathing sniffling sound every now and then but that will improve too.

It's just so tough and draining emotionally, physically, spiritually, every way. Going from thinking "is my father dying?" to "is Simba dying?" all in a few weeks...plus all of the other stresses over the last few years, it is exhausting and depressing.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Simba was right in the kitchen ready to eat today and he ate good and is drinking. We don't hear that awful congestion noise anymore, just a little breathing sniffling sound every now and then but that will improve too.

It's just so tough and draining emotionally, physically, spiritually, every way. Going from thinking "is my father dying?" to "is Simba dying?" all in a few weeks...plus all of the other stresses over the last few years, it is exhausting and depressing.
Yes, I can imagine it is. I am sorry.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Well we stopped after church at the local farmers market and I bought him a block of low salt Cheddar cheese, I had done that before and he loved it, and this way we can cut or break off bigger "pieces" for him so he can eat it, he loves cheese but the thin slices he can't lift up all the time so we got him this, Deb cut some pieces up and he gobbled it right up, so that makes us smile!

Plus we can hide the holistic thyroid pills in it this way!

And today's sermon was about the "storms of life" that we all go through, and I said something to our Pastor afterwards how I really needed to hear that and she said "I was thinking I'm glad you're here" and it helped...

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
He's eating a lot now, and we see some yellow discharge coming from his right eye and he is sniffling a bit so it is breaking up, but it'll take time and he'll feel a bit off for awhile. But it's obvious that he has an upper respiratory issue, which we knew going in there but are pleased to see that we were right and that is all that it is!

IslandGirl242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

God Bless you all 🙏🙏🙏

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
He's looking better everyday since this happened last week, back to eating a lot and yelling at us for food so we know he is better! And he lays on the carpet near the flagstone in the dining room, he doesn't hide in his little "cave" in the kitchen anymore so I went back to putting my lunch kettle there by the "entrance", and he looks so so relaxed when he is laying down, we are so thankful that we took him and that he rebounded. And I shudder when I think about that young vet talking about him dying or putting him down, but I just have to let that go, but that is NOT the way to handle a patient who is seeing you!

Deb said he was sleeping on his side yesterday and she had put food out for them, she started to pet him slowly and talk to him letting him know food was out, and she said he slowly opened his eyes and looked at her, almost like he was saying "oh, hi!", but then he spotted the others eating, jerked his head real fast and stared at them, then got up like a cannon shot and raced over to the food lol!!!

That's our funny guy Simba!! :gingercat: :jester:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baby vets are a trial, but to get vets you have to work with them, just like to get cats you have to work with kittens.

Just remember to talk to the senior vet if you think maybe, just maybe you should. Oh, and you did really well with her.

Since she's new she probably told the senior vet about your visit and they helped her see what could have been a better approach.