Going To The Vet

Mari333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm curious how your cats react when you take them to the vet. We have a 30 min. drive to get to our vet. We had to go to another location for Wes and he was so calm they came out and said he slept while being examined for HCM heart disease so that was as easy as it gets! More importantly he came out negative for the disease but he still has a heart murmur. Our other one Samson when going to our vet for a regular checkup meowed the entire way there and the entire way back. While he's otherwise gentle with strangers he was hissing and stressed through the exam. As for him I wonder what could calm Samson so he's not so stressed when we need another trip to the vet?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried Feliway spray. You spray the carrier 20/30 minutes before putting your cat in. There are other products about but I have tried Feliway and it works for my cat. She now lies down quietly the whole journey and seems calmer during the examination.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mari333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Feliway spray. You spray the carrier 20/30 minutes before putting your cat in. There are other products about but I have tried Feliway and it works for my cat. She now lies down quietly the whole journey and seems calmer during the examination.
I'll try a Feliway spray.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on the cat. Our semi-feral is silent the way there and back. My beloved Dante? Started hyperventilating on the way to the vet! My kitten? Well he commutes a lot so he just generally complains every time he is on the freeway ... but at the vet, they are silent. The other male kitten is horriable in cat rides and meows at an ear piercing decibel. The female kitten gets carsick and drools/vomits but is getting better.

I will try feliway. Most car trips for the kittens do not end in the vet, but rather at my house yo see their brother, or for their brother to come seem them. So it is just general, I want out of this car, let me out, protests.

* I take away wet food 2-3 hours before a car ride & dry food 1-2 hour before the car ride. I think they travel better if they have no food 2 hours prior.
*I have their crate out all the time and they are very comfortable in it. To comfortable .... the little brats have figured out how to wiggle their zipper open in their soft carrier.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It just depends on why Feeby is going as to how she reacts. If she is feeling good and is going in for a check up, she generally softly protests with little squawks. But, curiosity gets the better of her as she spends most of the time looking around at the sites she can see from her carrier. The worst part is getting her in the carrier - last time she tried running away when she saw it. Good thing she doesn't move fast!!

If she is not feeling well, she is usually very quiet and subdued. Almost as if she understands why she is going.

I'm lucky though, my vet is no more than 5-10 minutes from my home, depending on traffic lights.

Mari333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our trip depending on traffic can take up to 40+ minutes. I'm definitely going to look into Feliway and ask about Gabapentin next time for Samson. I don't like to see him in distress for so long, it starts making me anxious too and I can't wait to get the ride over with. But our vet is very good so we'd like to stick with her.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A side effect of gabapetin is loss of coordination so be ware of that if you use it for sedation purposes. Emma had a dose of gabapetin yesterday before her orthopedic appointment. The full effect didn't show up until after the appointment. She stumbled out of her carrier like a drunk person and was wobbly for hours :eek: The gabapetin was only because Emma had flipped out at the appointment a few weeks ago with the cardiologist. I don't think she liked the cardiologist :dunno:

Both cats are fine with the regular vet. The trip to the vet involves some complaining, mostly from Leroy.

Mari333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A side effect of gabapetin is loss of coordination so be ware of that if you use it for sedation purposes. Emma had a dose of gabapetin yesterday before her orthopedic appointment. The full effect didn't show up until after the appointment. She stumbled out of her carrier like a drunk person and was wobbly for hours :eek: The gabapetin was only because Emma had flipped out at the appointment a few weeks ago with the cardiologist. I don't think she liked the cardiologist :dunno:

Both cats are fine with the regular vet. The trip to the vet involves some complaining, mostly from Leroy.
Thanks for the insight. Under the circumstances I think I'll try Feliway if anything.