Going To Get To The Bottom Of This...hips Don't Lie

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Dexter has had what I call his "wonky waddle" since we got him. He is around 5 months old (possibly a little older, he lost his canines about a month ago). We have had him since early November. Here is what I have observed:

- He does not have "streamline" kitten body. He isn't bloated per se, but he definitely has some slight distension in his tummy area that is there constantly. This distension is soft and does not affect him.
- He swings his hind legs out when he walks. Think like how a cowboy would walk, that exaggerated step.
- He sometimes cries when he gets held, but only when I pick him up (less than 25% of the time). My husband can darn near sling him to ceiling and he would be fine with it, but I can pick him up and he hollers at me.
- He just recently learned to jump up to the countertops (~4 feet). I don't think he has any problems with doing so.
- He scrambles up the cat tree lickity split, no problems.
- I have never witnessed him suddenly fall over or otherwise suggest that his back legs give out randomly.
- He does not limp.
- He does not "bunny hop" when he runs.
- He can balance on his back legs to bat at toys on sticks.
- Sometimes when he lays down in a loafing position, he...w-sits. If you have ever seen small children w-sit, it looks exactly like that with a tail. Google it if you need a visual.
- He will hold his tail straight up like a flagpole, but he doesn't do it very often.
- His back is not hunched or sloped.
- He runs around and chases his toys normally.
- He runs around the house chasing his brother and sister. Also play fights.
- He. Eats. Like. A. MACHINE.
- Litterbox antics are normal.
- He has put on a pooch ever since he got neutered. I'm assuming this is normal? I know it happens in female cats.

I know he is still a baby and has a lot of growing to do. Maybe I am being paranoid. Maybe I need to make a vet appointment. Maybe he will grow out of whatever this is. Maybe this is just how he was made. :dunno:

Bonus Dexter picture (third eyelids are showing because I woke him up for the picture):

Attachments

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Are his feet slightly turned in either direction? Some cats are duck-footed or pigeon-toed, just like some people, which can give them an odd gait.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
His back feet do seem to face outward more than my other cat's feet.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All cats walk weird if you watch them from behind. Dexter sounds perfectly normal. They have a strange stiff legged waddle like you describe, watch another walk and see. Males do get that pouch underneath, I have had several males that people think are nursing moms! Dexter is awfully young though, it usually comes later in life. If you have any concerns, write them down and bring them up at the next vet visit.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I also think the slight, soft tummy distension is fine. Kitten can be a little chubby, especially if they're "eating machines." My 9-month-old is still like that, and the vet told me not to worry.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
All cats walk weird if you watch them from behind. Dexter sounds perfectly normal. They have a strange stiff legged waddle like you describe, watch another walk and see. Males do get that pouch underneath, I have had several males that people think are nursing moms! Dexter is awfully young though, it usually comes later in life. If you have any concerns, write them down and bring them up at the next vet visit.
I thought he got that pooch rather quickly myself. It's only been about 3 weeks since his neuter and it's very obvious, especially when you touch his tummy (assuming you can sneak attack and do so...lol). It doesn't sway when he walks or anything but it's there. Could it be because he eats so much? Maybe as he grows it will stretch out with him.

I'm comparing his walking to my older two cats. They walk more...linear, I suppose. If you were to see them walk in sand, the back pawprint would be right next to the front pawprint. Dexter's would be out to the side. Although now that you mention it..my mom has a male cat that also walks somewhat like Dex, though less exaggerated.
My husband think I'm paranoid but I don't want to miss something major and cause problems down the line. I'll definitely ask my vet at his next appointment.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I also think the slight, soft tummy distension is fine. Kitten can be a little chubby, especially if they're "eating machines." My 9-month-old is still like that, and the vet told me not to worry.
(She's also got a bit of a waddle. It's funny when she's galloping around the house.)

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
We don't free feed Dexter, so I was hoping that would prevent him from getting too fat...but you also can't overfeed a kitten...? Sigh. He gets 3 scheduled meals (raw in the morning and then 2 wet meals at noon and supper), unless husband and I are at work/school. Then he gets raw, 1/4 cup of Instinct dry kitten food during the day, and wet at night. We will only be able to do the dry for a bit longer because the setup we have so the other cats can't get to it is dependent on how big Dex gets...lol.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We don't free feed Dexter, so I was hoping that would prevent him from getting too fat...but you also can't overfeed a kitten...? Sigh. He gets 3 scheduled meals (raw in the morning and then 2 wet meals at noon and supper), unless husband and I are at work/school. Then he gets raw, 1/4 cup of Instinct dry kitten food during the day, and wet at night. We will only be able to do the dry for a bit longer because the setup we have so the other cats can't get to it is dependent on how big Dex gets...lol.
The vet and other people on this site have told me that kitten chub isn't really an issue unless they never grow into/out of it or unless it gets in the way of the kitten's activity. Yours might even go through a growth spurt soon and lose it all at once. Definitely don't feed him less -- you really can't overfeed him.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The "pooch" is normal, even unneutered cats get it. It's apparently a survival thing to protect a cat during cat fights. It's called a primordial pouch. Different cats have different sizes but they all have it.

I know what you mean when you describe the way he walks. I think it's just normal for some cats.
he...w-sits.
(Very OT side note, but I googled that and jeee-eeez, the things some people pick on their kids about. I still sit like that (I didn't know there was a name for it though) and my hips haven't fallen off yet! I think I would have become depressed if anyone had told me I sat wrong when I was little.)

Last edited:

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
(Very OT side note, but I googled that and jeee-eeez, the things some people pick on their kids about. I still sit like that (I didn't know there was a name for it though) and my hips haven't fallen off yet! I think I would have become depressed if anyone had told me I sat wrong when I was little.)
:lol::lol:

It took me a second to realize that OT meant "off topic" and not "occupational therapy"...

I worked in an outpatient pediatric rehab facility for a while (almost went to school to be an Occupational Therapist). The issue with kids that we saw and sat like that is due to the fact that they are typically trying to compensate for having a weak core or being hypotonic in general (think kids with Down syndrome). The w-sit position widens their base of support and doesn't allow for the development of trunk and core muscles. So they tried to dissuade those kids from w sitting an d encouraged side-sitting or criss cross applesauce sitting instead to help develop the aforementioned muscles.

It's my understand that "normal" kids sitting like that isn't typically an issue unless it's their constant state. I just don't like it because 1. It can hinder some spinal development and 2. It looks like it hurts! Especially because I am so un-flexible...I know that I can't personally make my legs splay like that and have my butt touching the floor! I have never seen a cat do it either until Dex haha.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I won't say I'm normal ;). And I did sit like that all the time. But my spine seems OK so far. I was such an anxious and self-conscious kid anyway, I'm glad the adults didn't know to bother me about that back then. I couldn't/can't sit criss-cross; too awkward.

Does he lie on the floor frog legs like some dogs? Or does he sit Spunky style? spunky sitting rocko - Google Search:

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Wait, do you mean a pooch hanging down or chubbiness around the middle?
Both I guess? He only got the pooch after he got fixed 3 weeks ago. It's literally a little fat pad on his lower tummy, exactly where my spayed female's pooch is. He has always had the mild tummy distension/chubbiness.