Going through a lot right now...miss it on here

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't been on here much lately at all. I miss you guys. I'm going through a lot of stressful things at once. I am losing my nanny job after 13 years. They only need a few hours a week and I need full time work. I live here too, in a separate apartment in the backyard, so I will need to find a new place to live too. I feel overwhelmed trying to find a new job and a new place to live at the same time. It's hard because I really love the kids.

Also, Grover was having health issues with scaly patches and hairloss on his front legs. He had 5 of them since August. The vet thinks it's allergies, not something more serious thank goodness! I really didn't want to put him under anesthesia for a biopsy unless the vet thought I needed to. He had 10 days of steroids and the last spot is healed now. This suggests allergies too. He's on a new diet. Hound and Gatos canned.

Last edited by a moderator:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear all that.  13 years is a long time to be with one family.  I'm glad Grover is feeling better!  Hopefully the new food agrees with him!!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Smitten, I'm so sorry about everything you're going through right now. I hope you'll find a new place and that things will get better for you. Good luck with your Grover, too.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for the stressful time
 At least that is one good thing about hard moments in life, is that they are usually temporary - you will find something in due time, I'm sure!

Glad the kitty is doing ok!

Much love and support hon!

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear what all you're going thru right now.  I hope things will get better for you and glad to hear your kitty is doing much better.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry to hear you have so much going on.  Leaving a family and kids after 13 years must be really hard even without the accommodation stuff and Grover not being 100%.  Just a thought but could Grover's alergies be related to some of the stress you have just now?  Cats are so sensitive, and I know Mouse's herpes tends to come out when I'm not well or stressed.  I'm about to leave my job in a few weeks too and hoping my increasing stress levels don't make him sick again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your nice replies. Cat people are the best

I'm looking into finishing my teaching degree. It looks like only a few credits will count though, after 17 years. Have any of you gone back to college after almost 20 years? Did they put your old credits towards your degree or did you have to start all over?

MServant- I have thought about that, although his skin problems started a while back. I was thinking about giving him Bach Rescue Remedy or Feliway in case stress was a factor. I'm not sure though because the vet said almost anything could cause skin allergies in a cat. I guess that could include the flowers in Rescue Remedy. Then I'll be back at square one not knowing if it's the new diet trial or that. I wish he didn't have any problems at all but I'm relieved it doesn't appear to be something more serious. Does L-Lysine help your kitty with outbreaks? Maybe start him on a dose now.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck with getting back in to your teaching degree.  Can you do it as distance learning or will it affect where you live?

The other thing you might find counts towards going back in to study is the work you have been doing, and if you have done any other study in child development or anything while you were working with this family?

Can you carry on working where you are until you find something else or are you having to sort everything out with a time frame for when you will move and leave your post with the kids?

I'm trying to look at my recent experiences and decision to leave my job and career as an opportunity: not sure what for yet but I'm sure something will come to me. 
   Until then I need to manage my stress levels and therefore Mouse's.  I think L Lysine does help him a lot, he has had a runny eye since starting it a couple of months ago but he got over it in about a week without any other medication.  He's also more bouncy and energetic.  I ran out last week and need to get to the vet and pick up another bottle:  He has been noticeably quieter this week and I miss him bouncing about everywhere and chewing my arm telling me to get off TCS.

Hope Grover's new food does the trick and his skin continues to look soft and the fur grows back fully.  

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about the cut in hours and having to look for a new job.

Seeing that they don't need someone there full time, chances are the new person won't be living on site. Is there anyway you can remain in the apartment where you are and pay them rent?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh I'm so sorry to hear that. :( I know how much you love the kids and your job. :( Many :vibes: that this will all work out for the better. :hugs: