Going On Vacation...

tsb9714

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are going in a weeks vacation in December. We have two cats, each 7 years old. Would you rather keep them home and have someone check on them every few days or bring them to the in-laws where they can have there own room and be seen everyday?? I just worry about the stress they’ll be under. Thanks.

SirenSong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My preference would be to keep them home and have someone check on them daily. It's usually pretty hard on cats to be moved around and you're already not going to be there, which will be stressful for them. It's probably less stress, overall, for them to stay in familiar territory.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you don't have anyone to come see them at least once a day in your home while you are gone, I would suggest that you hire a sitter. I have seen many 'appropriate' sitters on care.com. Most of them are pet lovers, some strictly cat care takers. They will come to your home, meet the cats, learn the routines, and will visit twice a day (or, more) and spend at least an hour at a time. Of course, this all varies by the sitter. You can interview more than one to find a good fit. And, since you aren't going until December, you have time to have the sitter come over beforehand so that your cats get used to the person.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
S SirenSong : Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:

If you leave them at home while you're away, you'll need someone to check on them every day, preferably twice a day.

If that's not possible, taking them to your in-laws might be a better idea. Do your in-laws have any pets of their own? That could make a difference, of course.

Here's a TCS article that may be helpful:
How Long Can You Leave Your Cat Alone For? | TheCatSite

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very responsible and considerate of you to plan ahead for your cats and ensure their well-being while you are away. To avoid stress, the first option will always be for the cats to remain in the place they are most familiar with - and that is your own home. If you can find a sitter then great! Otherwise, better to bring them to your in-laws and secure them in a room of their own. Ask your in-laws to update you daily if you want so you can ease your mind while away.

Have a fun vacation :)

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Unless you are taking your cat with you on a long trip, cats are almost always happiest at home.