Going On Vacation For The First Time

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! I’m a long time lurker of The Cat Site and a proud kitty mama of four cats. My husband and I will be going out of town next month and leaving our cats home for the first time ever! I was thinking of having my neighbor come by daily to check food, water and litter boxes (she, too, is a kitty lover) but I worry about my cats and fear them escaping. They are all very curious of what’s outside the front door and even we are very careful opening any doors. One has escaped on us and that has really made me anxious. We have a kitty door from our master bedroom to a sitting room that is closed off with French doors. I was thinking of keeping the cats contained to our master bedroom and sitting room and telling our neighbor to spend time with them in there if so desired. Food, water, and litter boxes would be set up for them in the sitting room. Does this make me sound crazy? Bad idea? Any other tips for leaving them for the first time?

Signed,
An anxious cat owner

Last edited:

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
My two always run for the door and escape, but can always be lured back inside with food. They are very greedy. Would that work for your cats? Otherwise whatever works to keep them safe. How long are you going for? And is there enough room for them all to stay in two rooms? Will they get bored and destroy things? Hope it all works out for you.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Are you sure you don't want to hire a sitter?
Rover and Care . com are good sources, look for one who will send you photos and video.

The responsibility of taking care of someone else's animals is huge. What if something goes wrong and your neighbor happens to not be there because her own life took precedence?
If you're gone for just a couple of days, your cats should be fine in a smaller area, but be aware that they may still escape from there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Are you sure you don't want to hire a sitter?
Rover and Care . com are good sources, look for one who will send you photos and video.

The responsibility of taking care of someone else's animals is huge. What if something goes wrong and your neighbor happens to not be there because her own life took precedence?
If you're gone for just a couple of days, your cats should be fine in a smaller area, but be aware that they may still escape from there.

I’ve thought about a pet sitter but having a total stranger in our home makes me a little uneasy. I’ll ask for company recommendations nearby and see if we can utilize them. I do like the idea of a trained professional and someone I can bug for updates a little more than my neighbor

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’ve thought about a pet sitter but having a total stranger in our home makes me a little uneasy.
I understand the uneasiness about having a stranger in your home. But, when I tried using care.com, I was able to interview candidates in person, get real referrals, and have them over multiple times before hand so they could get to know my cat - and my cat know them. None of that cost me a dime.

Have the sitter use your garage door opener (if you have one) with a code that can be changed after you are back home. And, in case of a power outage, give your neighbor a house key for back-up. Or, you can buy a lockbox for the front door and use it as opposed to giving the sitter an actual key to your house.