Going On Holidays And Worried About Bored Cats.

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello!

I'm going to be going away for about a week soon on holidays. This'll be my first time away for this length since my cats came to me and I'm far more nervous about it than I thought I would be. My family are going to take turns to look after the kitty cats, they're all dog people, which I know is not quite the same as cat people, but I trust their judgement when it comes to animals.

One of my main concerns (at the moment) is how to prevent my cats from getting bored. Although my family will be calling in every day and will play with them, they probably won't be staying around for a few hours/overnight etc.. My cats are only recently converted to being indoor cats (they used to be indoor/outdoor) and I think without the human interaction they're used to they might find it a bit tough going.:climbcat:

I'm working on creating height but as I rent I can't do too much structurally, but have bought in a reasonably tall hidey-hole that Scamp likes to sit on rather than in, as well as some cat beds etc. for them to climb around in, but would any of you have any recommendations for interactive toys or anything similar that your cats like that I can just leave out and they can hopefully entertain themselves with? I have the usual little cat toys/balls etc. that they do enjoy chasing around, but mainly if I'm throwing them...

Thanks again for your help! :greenpaw:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! I’m on holiday right now actually, and it’s my first time with Olive. We have a cat sitter coming twice a day (since our piggy cat would eat all the food in the morning otherwise) and I think it’s great your family will come over for play.

You can also add in some puzzle feeders (even kibble in a box with holes cut into it can work) cat TV (Netflix has some options), buy a new fresh catnip toy for your family to give them halfway through the week.

If you work they are used to you being away for long periods and most cats sleep a lot. They will probably be a little bored but it sounds like you are doing good giving them new heights and stimulation. I rent too but we easily made some cat shelves using wood, brackets and carpet that made the same size hole as a picture would have. Maybe not before your trip but it could be a good option.

Hav fun on your holiday! If you are worried I have the cat sitters text me photos so I can stop worrying about them.

Nicky88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

I just got back from my first long trip since I've had Messi, 10 nights, had the same feeling and was so happy to get back to him. I had people pop up and play/feed him but he's a very needy cat and follows us wherever we go, so i knew it would be hard.

Those who went to visit him said he was really overly friendly to them when they came up and a few days before we came back he was starting to get restless knocking furniture over and obviously having a lot more crazies. The night we got back he was yowling for me even when i used the bathroom, and did not leave my side.

We just made sure we bought loads of toys before we went so he had a field day of balls and mice to run around with, if im honest i probably got him to be fed a bit more than i normally do (well we all want to comfort eat when we feel a bit sad!!). We are doing it again in August, always will be a worry but they will survive!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Brilliant! - I'll grab some toys and maybe give them to my family so that they're "new" for the cats and might generate interest.

I like the idea of puzzle feeders too, the cat I'm most worried about is a bit of a guzzler and very energetic and the other cat isn't quite quick enough for feeders like that so I'd worry Scamp the piggy might get all the food; the food left out normally plus the food in the puzzles :crazy:, but you got me thinking and I have some treats that only he likes so, again, I might put together something and he can be thrown it after they're fed or the like. Food for thought, fantastic!

:thanks: