Going on a vacation?

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, so I have two cats.. Oreo is Two years old (male) and Twix is 6 months old (female).. My family is planning on going on a vacation for a week, out of the country... They said we'll ask someone to take care of Oreo and Twix, I don't know if I should leave them or not, they're not neutered or spayed, my family said that's not good.. I know I won't be able to leave my cats... Should I take them with us? How will they behave in a new country? Would they get scared? Please answer this.. thanks!

kittycaty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hey there.
well,whenever my family and i go on vacation we always leave someone to take of my cats. i know it's hard to leave your cats behind,Lord knows i used to be devasted when i was younger but now it seems alright as long as you have someone you can trust to look after them.taking them with you is not a good idea because cats do not respond very well to new environments,they're house pets,they develop affiliation with the house and can get seriously insecure when introduced to a new enviroment.I would definitely suggest that you do not takethem along for the vacation,leave them home with someone to care of them instead.as long as they're home and have each other,they'll be just fine:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
Almost everyone in my neighborhood hates cats, thats the problem :/ my cats start meowing and crying when me or my mum are not at home (my mum and I take care of the cats), my dad will most likely stay at the house when we're on vacation and that is the biggest problem.. He hates cats, he just let me keep them but whenever my cats go near him, he beats them, then he's all like "oh, I didn't mean to, it was an accident"... Yeah, you throw shoes at cats by accident (sarcasm)... I don't know what I can do in this situation.. We might be going in July by the way.

kittycaty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well in this situation leaving the cats behind is not really going to cause alot of emotional stress for them. cats do miss their humans but if left going about what they usually do, they dont mind it all too much. my family and i once went out of country on a trip that lasted 40 days. when we came back the cats were a little bewildered but recovered almost instantly.Cats dont mind being left at home if that's also your concern,since they have each other that's more then enough. You can either ask one your friends or leave it up to your mom to find someone out who can feed them and keep their water bowl in check amongst other things,and if your dad minds they're presense he can always just restrict them to ur room where they will naturally feel more comfortable.

Last edited:

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I'll try something.. thanks! :)

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, so I have two cats.. Oreo is Two years old (male) and Twix is 6 months old (female).. My family is planning on going on a vacation for a week, out of the country... They said we'll ask someone to take care of Oreo and Twix, I don't know if I should leave them or not, they're not neutered or spayed, my family said that's not good.. I know I won't be able to leave my cats... Should I take them with us? How will they behave in a new country? Would they get scared? Please answer this.. thanks!
Do you know he can get her pregnant? At 6 months, she will soon start going into heat, and he will mount her.

I would suggest a spay as soon as you can. There are low cost spay/neuter organizations in many places, and other members here have information about how to find that assistance.

At 6 months, your girl is too young to handle a litter. A litter of kittens will also make your life A LOT more complicated

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, no.. He won't get her pregnant, I'm pretty sure about that.. He shows no intrest in her, They live together in house all the time and I'm home most of the time because I'm studying for my finals and I don't have school til next month, and if I'm not at home, my mum is.. Twix annoys Oreo so much so he tries to find ways to get rid of her sometimes... He takes care of Twix like she's his daughter, I might not go on vacation if they can't go.. There's no way I'm gonna leave my cats for a week or two, we don't even know if we'll stay there for 1-2 weeks but I'm pretty sure some accidents can happen if I leave my cats with someone, my cousin's cat died when she left her cat with a cat sitter and my uncle's dog ran away for Two months, so I'm not gonna leave my cats like that, I'll miss them and won't be able to have fun with my family..

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@OreoTwix

I believe your male cat will change in an instant and get the female pregnant.  

Spaying her is the only way to completely prevent that.  Spaying and neutering your cats is better for their health.

I adopted a female stray cat last year, and she went into heat before I was able to get her spayed

She was miserable, and several male cats from the neighborhood started hanging around our house.

here's an article from our site about spaying and neutering.  

This is a pro-spay and neuter site.

@sarthur2, @talkingpeanut    I know you're busy in the pregnant cats section, but do you have any additional advice for this OP?
[article="22304"]Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats  [/article]
I don't  think your cats will travel very well.  Where do you live and where are you going?

Leaving the cats with your dad is better than trying to travel with them.

Many countries have quarantine rules for cats and dogs.  

An unneutered male and unspayed female are also more likely to try to escape from you in a strange place and would get lost.

Last edited:

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in London and we're going to Paris, my family is against getting animals neutered or spayed, these are their words: "If animals are born un-neutered and un-spayed, we should let them live like that.. We can't get humans neutered or spayed so we shouldn't do that to animals either" I know that's good for their health but I can't do anything about that.. My family is weird. Thanks for the advice by the way! I will see what I can do :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I can only repeat what foxden foxden has already said. Please read the link she provided regarding the benefits of spaying and neutering.

You need to leave your cats with a friend or relative when you go away. It sounds like that would be a better option for the cats.

I'm afraid your female cat will be pregnant by then since your male cat is not neutered. Are you prepared for kittens? Please discuss this with your mother. How old are you?

mysticotala

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, your male cat will turn in a second if the girl goes into heat, it doesn't matter how uninterested he seems. I even had my fixed male go after my new cat when she was in heat, nothing will ever stop them! And your family will change their minds when the girl starts yowling constantly while in heat. That is the worst!
But that is besides the point. As far as vacation goes, I feel like they would be more comfortable in their familiar surroundings than going on vacation and like it was mentioned, many many countries have quarantine restrictions and it really isn't feasible for short trips. I'd have someone stop over or stay there with them. Is there a way you can get some sort of webcam or nanny cam that hooks up to the internet so you can watch or check on them? I have a security system like that to watch my cats while I'm away. Usually I just cut open a bag a food, and leave a lot of litterboxes and water around and they take care of themselves without problems. If you are really concerned, you can always board them somewhere. I don't know what their rules are on unfixed cats though. Good luck! Go on vacation and have fun, your cats are young and strong and will be fine :)

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 I'm 15 right now, my cousins want the kittens of my cat, my mum said we are prepared for the first time Twix will have kittens, after that I'll ask my mum to get her spayed as soon as possible. All my friends live far from my house, they might not be able to take care of my cats.. My aunt's friend's might take care of my cats but she already have four cats ( a cat and three kittens ).
We'll need to ask someone to take good care of the cats..

Last edited:

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
mysticotala mysticotala I will get my cat spayed in two months, I hope I find someone who can take care of my cats while I'm gone.. Thanks for the help though! :)

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@sarthur2 I'm 15 right now, my cousins want the kittens of my cat, my mum said we are prepared for the first time Twix will have kittens, after that I'll ask my mum to get her spayed as soon as possible. All my friends live far from my house, they might not be able to take care of my cats.. My aunt's friend's might take care of my cats but she already have four cats ( a cat and three kittens ).
We'll need to ask someone to take good care of the cats..
Please don't allow your cat to have "just one litter."  You live in a house that is abusive to the cats you already have.  Adding additional cats who are completely defenseless is a horrible idea!  Mom will also become aggressive if she does not feel safe.

She is also far to young to have kittens.  She should not be allowed to have a litter before 1 year.  If you are going to do nothing to prevent a pregnancy, it will happen much sooner.  This is bad for mom's health.

Please reconsider and get them both fixed now.  Waiting until after your trip, or waiting at all, seems to be a recipe for disaster.  With cats, fathers mate with their daughters, mothers with their sons, siblings together.  There is no sense of family.

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
talkingpeanut talkingpeanut Actually, I'm not gonna keep the kittens, my cousins are. Many, many cats have came in our house and had kittens in the backyard.. My dad never hurt the kittens, just the cats if they go near him. My mum, aunt, cousins and I are ready for the kittens.. All cats can have kittens at age of six months, I had keep 2 six month old cats who were pregnant and had kittens in our backyard, my house is safe for the kittens.. My dad used to beat cats when my granddad was alive, now my granddad passed away 3 months ago, my dad has changed a little, he still doesn't like cats but he promised to never hurt them. I got Oreo when he was 2 weeks old, his mum came and had three kittens but 2 weeks later, she got hit by a car and died, all the kittens were fine and we gave them away when they were 2 months old but only kept Oreo.. I got Twix when she was 3 weeks old, she was alone in the backyard, I asked everyone if she was their kitten, everyone said no, she was a stray.. I kept her... Almost all the strays come in my house and I take care of them. Twix is also lost at the moment, I don't know if she'll ever come back or not. I've been crying and looking for her all day, my aunt saw her and when she got near Twix.. Twix hissed at her, I don't know if she remembers us or not, I hope she comes back...

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
talkingpeanut talkingpeanut Actually, I'm not gonna keep the kittens, my cousins are. Many, many cats have came in our house and had kittens in the backyard.. My dad never hurt the kittens, just the cats if they go near him. My mum, aunt, cousins and I are ready for the kittens.. All cats can have kittens at age of six months, I had keep 2 six month old cats who were pregnant and had kittens in our backyard, my house is safe for the kittens.. My dad used to beat cats when my granddad was alive, now my granddad passed away 3 months ago, my dad has changed a little, he still doesn't like cats but he promised to never hurt them. I got Oreo when he was 2 weeks old, his mum came and had three kittens but 2 weeks later, she got hit by a car and died, all the kittens were fine and we gave them away when they were 2 months old but only kept Oreo.. I got Twix when she was 3 weeks old, she was alone in the backyard, I asked everyone if she was their kitten, everyone said no, she was a stray.. I kept her... Almost all the strays come in my house and I take care of them. Twix is also lost at the moment, I don't know if she'll ever come back or not. I've been crying and looking for her all day, my aunt saw her and when she got near Twix.. Twix hissed at her, I don't know if she remembers us or not, I hope she comes back...
Spaying and neutering is the best possible thing that you can do for your cats, regardless of any of the above. She is likely out mating. It's not healthy for kittens to be having kittens, whether they are physically able or not.

You could make a real difference here.

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please understand my problem, there's no vet near my house, I'm only 15 and I can't take Twix to get her spayed on my own, I just asked the question that if I should take my cats with me on vacation or not, I asked nothing about neutering or spaying... If Twix ever comes back, I'll take her with my mum to get her spayed, I'll take her after my finals, I don't want to worry about spaying because I'm not able to study, if I fail, my dad will give both of my cats away that'll be worse than un-spayed cat. Thank you for letting me know that neutering and spaying is important, I'll make sure to get my cats neutered and spayed :)

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please understand my problem, there's no vet near my house, I'm only 15 and I can't take Twix to get her spayed on my own, I just asked the question that if I should take my cats with me on vacation or not, I asked nothing about neutering or spaying... If Twix ever comes back, I'll take her with my mum to get her spayed, I'll take her after my finals, I don't want to worry about spaying because I'm not able to study, if I fail, my dad will give both of my cats away that'll be worse than un-spayed cat. Thank you for letting me know that neutering and spaying is important, I'll make sure to get my cats neutered and spayed :)
You definitely should not travel with intact cat so. It's very possible they will run off. And yes, this is an easy way that you can take care of your cats. Keep them inside and separate until they are done. It does, unfortunately, need to be a priority.

Keep us updated, and best of luck.

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
talkingpeanut talkingpeanut I'll keep y'all updated :) but, do you know any ways to find a lost cat? Twix hasn't came home since 32 hours, she's my first female cat who got lost/ran away :( I miss her so much, Oreo keeps looking for her, they might fight a lot, but they're good friends too. Oreo is a male cat, he runs off for 1-3 days, no longer than that though, but its been two days since Twix went out, yesterday at 8:35 Am, she saw the door open and ran out with this male cat who's coming in the backyard from two months, we try to make him go away but he doesn't.. He was my granddad's cat and my granddad passed away and we couldn't take care of him because we already have Oreo and male cats fight a lot. Do you have any advice on finding Twix? Or just please pray for her to come back or something? I would appreciate if you do, Thanks! :)