Going On A Trip Later This Year, What To Do With Cats

leeksychan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My fiance and I are going on a small trip (4 days) out of state in September. We have 2 cats. Sandy is 9 years old, and she's moved A LOT before settling in with me and my fiance. Reese is 1 year old, and has been with us since she was 5 months. I worry more about Reese than Sandy, because Reese has never been away from me. I know Sandy would adjust quickly like she always has.

I would have wanted a petsitter to come in a couple times a day, but we live in a city that is an hour away from family. I worry about Reese because she is very dependent on attention. When I work an 8 hour shift and come home she acts like I was gone for days. She is ALWAYS at my feet or on my lap or shadowing me around the house. I'm afraid the separation will affect her really badly.

One of our options is to take them to my mother in law. I'm opposed to this because when we took Sandy from her house, Sandy came with fleas. And when we visit I always see his mom's cat scratching itself and I'm positive the poor thing has fleas. All she does is put a weak flea collar on him and call it done. I don't really want my cats in there and then have to bathe them and de-flea them and our house AGAIN.

Another option is my grandparents. My grandma doesn't really like cats, but her house is clean and she doesn't have any other pets. If I took Reese and Sandy there, I would know that they'd be well taken care of and grandpa and my cousin would pay attention to them. But if one of the cats had an "accident" or tore something up grandma would have a fit. Plus they live in a big house and I'm afraid Reese and Sandy might not be able to find their litter boxes?? Reese and Sandy have never had an accident outside of the litter box. Sandy barfs sometimes, but it cleans up pretty easily. Could I trust that they would use their litter box at grandma's house?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Do your grandparents have a space in their house that can be closed off? My sister has a large bathroom where she puts my cats when she is away. There's room for a litter box and their food dishes to be separated. They have the run of most of the house when she's home and they've never had any problems finding the litter box. Just be sure to show them where it is when you first take them in. It wouldn't have to be a bathroom. Any large room will work as long as it has light and good air circulation.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
You could hire a professional pet sitter. If you call your vet's office, they will often have recommendations for good pet sitters in your area.

marypetlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think they will be fine at your grandmas especially if they have an area they have a room to close them in, preferably with no carpet just in case. Otherwise I would definitely look at getting a petsitter or taking them to a place that will take care of them for a few days.