Going In The Litter Box Too Many Times

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of mine has stress related UTI and was on Metacam. It can cause diarrhoea, it says on the box to stop giving it if they get it. Metacam is an anti-inflammatory and pain relief. Do you have to go back for another scan?
The vet said to go back once Skye is 100% back to normal.
The vet office called me ( but it was a different vet) and said if Skye has deharea again today, to stop it.. if not, to give it again tonight and if she has deharea tomorrow to stop it and call the vet office and speak to the vet who we saw yesterday. ( it wasn't our vet that we saw yesterday, it was someone else but they work in the same clinic)

Skye had deharea once today, she is still eating, drinking and acting normal

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hopefully Skye will settle tomorrow, it can upset their system for a day or so. Hopefully she will be back to normal in a couple of days. Keep us updated.

• Purraise
Reactions: GGG

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hopefully Skye will settle tomorrow, it can upset their system for a day or so. Hopefully she will be back to normal in a couple of days. Keep us updated.
Thank you!
I will keep you posted.
Thank you again for your help.

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet said to go back once Skye is 100% back to normal.
The vet office called me ( but it was a different vet) and said if Skye has deharea again today, to stop it.. if not, to give it again tonight and if she has deharea tomorrow to stop it and call the vet office and speak to the vet who we saw yesterday. ( it wasn't our vet that we saw yesterday, it was someone else but they work in the same clinic)

Skye had deharea once today, she is still eating, drinking and acting normal
I'm so upset

So ski got diagnosed with Strest Cistitys and inflammation in her bladder ( No UTI) the vet put her on medication METACAM " It didn't go well with skye's tummy. She threw up a couple of times, so we're Stopped the medication. Now she's on probiotic. The vet wants me to change her food ( the dry food only) she eats different brands of wet food and Instinct by nature variety dry food. The vet wants to switch her to Royal Canin S/O dry food. I'm not a fan of the ingredients in RC dry food and it's expensive. I don't know what to do...
Does anyone feed their fur friends that foods or what do you think about it?

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so upset

So ski got diagnosed with Strest Cistitys and inflammation in her bladder ( No UTI) the vet put her on medication METACAM " It didn't go well with skye's tummy. She threw up a couple of times, so we're Stopped the medication. Now she's on probiotic. The vet wants me to change her food ( the dry food only) she eats different brands of wet food and Instinct by nature variety dry food. The vet wants to switch her to Royal Canin S/O dry food. I'm not a fan of the ingredients in RC dry food and it's expensive. I don't know what to do...
They recommend to use FELIWAY diffuser to make her feel better

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Most any med can cause stomach upset, so it is always best to try to give them with food, or food immediately before/after.

Feeby is on RC SO and Hill's C/D (both wet and dry) and has been for about 10 years now. She had to have bladder surgery for oxalate stones and was put on these foods at that time. She has not had any further issues with stones. RC SO is generally prescribed to alter the PH balance of the urine in order to dissolve stones and prevent reoccurrence.

I am not exactly clear on how this food helps control inflammation or stress cystitis if there are no crystals or stones involved - unless it is to help reduce the chance of them occurring in Skye.

• Purraise

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most any med can cause stomach upset, so it is always best to try to give them with food, or food immediately before/after.

Feeby is on RC SO and Hill's C/D (both wet and dry) and has been for about 10 years now. She had to have bladder surgery for oxalate stones and was put on these foods at that time. She has not had any further issues with stones. RC SO is generally prescribed to alter the PH balance of the urine in order to dissolve stones and prevent reoccurrence.

I am not exactly clear on how this food helps control inflammation or stress cystitis if there are no crystals or stones involved - unless it is to help reduce the chance of them occurring in Skye.
Yes, that's why I'm not sure what's to do. I think it's to prevent that in the future gets worse, the vet said that some times the strest Cistitys is severe ( not in skye's case) but it's something genetic, and siamese cats are prone to it.
I don't know, but maybe because I'm overwhelmed I find it confusing. It's my first time since I have Skye ( first pet ever) having to deal with this.
That's why I reached out to the group, I'm confused on what to do. Change her food or not.
I gave her the medication right after she ate ( I stopped it now because she started to throw up)
Put the probiotic on the food like I was told but she doesn't want to eat

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so upset

I would just switch your cat to an all wet food diet. The number one thing cats need is moisture in their food. This page has lots of good information about prescription diets and how they can be unnecessary: Cat Urinary Tract Diseases: Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection

Edit: I would never put my cat on a prescription RC food for prevention. The best prevention of urinary disease is WATER. All wet food diet is the best prevention.

• Purraise