Going In The Litter Box Too Many Times

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello all,
I'm a little concerned and I'm hopeful someone can help me...
So, Skye eats (wet and dry. Mostly wet food) drinks from a water fountain, normal behavior.... she does her normal litter box use daily but in between use, I noticed that she goes in her box a few times and just does a few drips of pee. I noticed it this morning. Should I be concerned?
Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with V verna davies . That is a classic sign of a UTI.

Some people are lucky enough to be able to catch some of the pee in a sterile container (not me). If you can do that you could take it to the vet without taking her in. The vet can do a urinalysis/urine culture to look for bacteria, and prescribe the appropriate antibiotic from that sample. Just make sure your vet will accept the sample before going through the process. I think you can refrigerate it for several hours if you can't get to the vet right away.

Also, depending on how picky your cat is about her litter/litter box, you can buy non-absorbing litter and collect the urine from the litter, with a sterile syringe. Some vets will even provide you with a collection kit, free of charge.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. I agree with V verna davies . That is a classic sign of a UTI.

Some people are lucky enough to be able to catch some of the pee in a sterile container (not me). If you can do that you could take it to the vet without taking her in. The vet can do a urinalysis/urine culture to look for bacteria, and prescribe the appropriate antibiotic from that sample. Just make sure your vet will accept the sample before going through the process. I think you can refrigerate it for several hours if you can't get to the vet right away.

Also, depending on how picky your cat is about her litter/litter box, you can buy non-absorbing litter and collect the urine from the litter, with a sterile syringe. Some vets will even provide you with a collection kit, free of charge.
Thank you. I will call the vet now. I have no idea how I'm going to get a pee sample... she's not easy. She only likes the clumping litter .
Thanks again

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I noticed that she goes in her box a few times and just does a few drips of pee.
If she's going in multiple times and crying and straining to pee, and if she pees marble sized clumps, most likely to be UTI. See if you notice that the clumps are pinkish color. If it is, it's blood trace.

Yes, better take your kitty for a check and if you can catch her peeing, (this was what I did when my boy had UTI last year) place a clean disposable spoon beneath her as she pees and try to catch the pee and then put it in a clean bottle and show it to the vet when she goes see the vet.

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No crying, she peed a few small clumps after peeing her regular size clump, no pinkish color clumps. Completely normal behavior but a few small clumps.
I will take her to the vet.
Thank you

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
No crying, she peed a few small clumps after peeing her regular size clump, no pinkish color clumps. Completely normal behavior but a few small clumps.
I will take her to the vet.
Thank you
To be on the safe side, have her checked by the vet. It's very painful for them when they are hit by UTI.

My heart broke when I saw my boy had it
IMG_3188.GIF

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will take her in as soon as possible.
Thank you

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please let us know how you get on.
So after eating more wet food (I added water to it) and a nap, Skye peed twice bigger clumps, almost normal size.
I'm watching her closely and took pictures of the clumps, just in case the vet would want to see them tomorrow. She's still her normal self, doesn't seem bothered by anything

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So after eating more wet food (I added water to it) and a nap, Skye peed twice bigger clumps, almost normal size.
I'm watching her closely and took pictures of the clumps, just in case the vet would want to see them tomorrow. She's still her normal self, doesn't seem bothered by anything
If you can, grab some sample of the urine. That'll make them have it tested easier.

• Purraise
Reactions: GGG

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you can, grab some sample of the urine. That'll make them have it tested easier.
She won't let me, I was told that the vet will take some tomorrow, they'll keep Skye for a couple of hours until they take a sample.
She's still acting her normal self and eating well, so I'm hoping it's nothing serious

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please let us know how you get on.
Hi there,
Just to let you know that Skye was seen by the vet. They did a full body exam, ultrasound and urine test. It was all good, but she diagnosed Skye with Stress Cistitys and skye's bladder was a little inflamed (due to the stress Cistitys) she gave Skye a medication called " Metacam". Are you familiar with this medication? I read that one of the side effects of the med is deharea which Skye had this morning, I called the vet office to ask and I'm waiting for them to call me back with an answer
Thank you

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of mine has stress related UTI and was on Metacam. It can cause diarrhoea, it says on the box to stop giving it if they get it. Metacam is an anti-inflammatory and pain relief. Do you have to go back for another scan?