Goat's Milk for Cats With a Tooth Extraction

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This week my almost 8 year old cat had an extraction of a tooth.

Some one told me that goat's milk is good for him.

Is this correct?

mollsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have given a poorly cat goats milk before with no issues. It seemed to help. It at least hydrated him and I  added a small amount of water and warmed it a little. He seemed to really like it. Goats milk is milder on digestion than cows milk. It sounds like a reasonable idea to me. You could also try a little warm yogurt also. Or gently cook some ground meat with added water and give just the broth. Or take their regular wet food, add some warm water and just give the more brothy part to start.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Goat's milk is ok as a treat but definitely not as the main diet. If your cat isn't eat much because of the tooth extraction, try feeding canned food. It's easier to eat than dry food. You can even add water to the canned food to turn it into "soup" and feed that.

Tooth extractions are painful. Did the vet prescribe any pain medicine? If not, ask for it. A liquid pain medicine would be easiest to give.

canopener

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most cats cope quite well with fewer teeth and can continue with their normal diet--my vet has known entirely toothless cats to do fine with kibble. In the post-operative period, if your cat is having discomfort eating, you can try mixing water into his canned food to create more of a slurry. That said, when mine had several teeth removed, she wanted nothing to do with the slurry I prepared for her and insisted on eating the food at its regular consistency.

stephanie42

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
one of mine had all four canine teeth extracted at one visit.  she ate wet food mixed with a good amount of warm water that night.  she was eating normally the day after.  none of my cats seemed to like the goat's milk, but only one of them liked cow's milk.  goat's milk has less casein and lactose, which is why most cats can digest it.