Goat Owners

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have some questions about goats. If anyone owns any could you respond or please PM me? Thanks =)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I owned a pet goat many years ago. Dont know if I can help but will try
We're considering a pair to use as weed control, for the stuff the others don't touch.
I'm not sure if sheep or goats would be best. I like both, but I've read and heard goats can be fence murderers.
Do you remember how they were around fencing?
Thank you for replying =)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I personally have never had goats but the mechanic I go to lives down the road from me and he's been keeping goats in a huge pen on his property for years. I have never seen any damage to the fence and I don't see them go near it unless someone stops by to say hello to them. I will likely drive past his place sometime this weekend and I'll take a picture of his setup. The goats actually have two pens. One by the road and one behind the house. They are SO friendly. I have stopped to pet them and feed them carrots many times. Lots of people do. I love goats. He used to keep pigs too but someone stole all the piglets. Someone also stole his old billy goat. Likely for stud purposes as he was likely too old for eatin' purposes. He was a handsome, sassy old bugger. I still miss him.

Anyway. I found this if it will help. Keeping Goats As Pets - Know the Needs When Rearing Goats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally have never had goats but the mechanic I go to lives down the road from me and he's been keeping goats in a huge pen on his property for years. I have never seen any damage to the fence and I don't see them go near it unless someone stops by to say hello to them. I will likely drive past his place sometime this weekend and I'll take a picture of his setup. The goats actually have two pens. One by the road and one behind the house. They are SO friendly. I have stopped to pet them and feed them carrots many times. Lots of people do. I love goats. He used to keep pigs too but someone stole all the piglets. Someone also stole his old billy goat. Likely for stud purposes as he was likely too old for eatin' purposes. He was a handsome, sassy old bugger. I still miss him.

Anyway. I found this if it will help. Keeping Goats As Pets - Know the Needs When Rearing Goats
Thank you for the link!!!
If he doesn't mind a set up shot, I'd love it. We have about 4 areas they'd be rotated on, two already fenced. We're kind of thinking pygmy, we'd love goats milk but the small size of a Pygmy might be easier to handle?
Provided the fencing doesn't need barbed wire or extra electricity we would be good. We could put up a simple goat fence in no time.
The pasture is growing up in weeds and I heard they like things other than grass.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's also someone down the street from my job who has 2 goats who do full time lawn maintenance. It's an older residential area with big lots and the goats are always in the front yard. There is nothing special about their fence and I have never seen the goats near it. I see them every day on my way home. 2 cuties. :cloud9:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for the link!!!
If he doesn't mind a set up shot, I'd love it. We have about 4 areas they'd be rotated on, two already fenced. We're kind of thinking pygmy, we'd love goats milk but the small size of a Pygmy might be easier to handle?
Provided the fencing doesn't need barbed wire or extra electricity we would be good. We could put up a simple goat fence in no time.
The pasture is growing up in weeds and I heard they like things other than grass.
He's so used to people stopping to say hello to them and give them treats. Hopefully they will be in the pen by the road when I go by. DH and I used to go see them often and he used to take pictures of them. Nobody minded. They were used to it. I'll look around to see if I can find the pictures he took. There have been goats on that property at least as long as I've been here (almost 16 years).

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looks like you have your answers. I didnt have any problems with mine doing any damage. Two goats would be lovely as they like company. Please post photos when you get them.

ChickenLady047

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We're considering a pair to use as weed control, for the stuff the others don't touch.
I'm not sure if sheep or goats would be best. I like both, but I've read and heard goats can be fence murderers.
Do you remember how they were around fencing?
Thank you for replying =)
Looks like you've got everything you need, but I figured I'd drop in my two cents anyway. :p

In my experience, sheep are crazy skittish and an overall pain in the butt. One of my friends has a couple that she shows, and I'd definitely choose her goats over the sheep. Goats can be rough on fences, but sheep are way worse in my experience.