Goat Milk for Adult cats?

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i recently found lactose-free, frozen raw goatmilk people selling online. i wonder if it's any good for cats to get them to drink more and adding to the occasional treats I can give them. what are the risk? is it good for adult cats?

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't buy anything like that online. However I dont think giving your cat goat milk would hurt them as long as it doesn't make them sick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i can try it myself before giving it to them to at least to try it isn't rancid. plus we have instant delivery and frozen stuff can be delivered within 30 mins because the store is near me. should arrive still frozen.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i can try it myself before giving it to them to at least to try it isn't rancid. plus we have instant delivery and frozen stuff can be delivered within 30 mins because the store is near me. should arrive still frozen.
Ok. Though depending on the source the goat milk could be contanimated with things that could make your cats very sick.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok. Though depending on the source the goat milk could be contanimated with things that could make your cats very sick.
yeah, that's worrying. i guess I buy a small pouch, give them a sample of 1 teaspoon, then wait if there are no problems with the stool then I guess it's safe? the seller has hundreds of good reviews so that adds more to the confidence.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the seller has been inspected by the Health Department and follows all the rules that they are supposed to, there shouldn’t be any serious health risks.

You should check up on that before you buy.

Provided you don’t give too much, goat’s milk should be okay for an adult cat.

Just do your homework first. ;)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Goat milk is full of nutrition and is given instead of cow's milk to newborn kittens. (cow's milk is NOT good, most cats get lactose intolerant as they age)If you can verify it is from a good reliable source, I would say go for it!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Raw goats milk or goats milk kefir are both fine, but start with a teaspoon, as a topper on usual food (or on its own, if you think your cats will eat it). I wouldn’t go for “lactose free” if they do something to break down the lactose, as that would increase the quantity of simple sugars, which would be more harmful for cats than the small amount of lactose present in goats milk.

Keep in mind that goats milk is also quite caloric, so you don’t want to feed much even if your cat stomach tolerates it fine.

ETA: I wouldn’t buy from sketchy online marketplaces, either. I get my goats milk kefir from a local shop near home.

Last edited:

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Raw goats milk or goats milk kefir are both fine, but start with a teaspoon, as a topper on usual food (or on its own, if you think your cats will eat it). I wouldn’t go for “lactose free” if they do something to break down the lactose, as that would increase the quantity of simple sugars, which would be more harmful for cats than the small amount of lactose present in goats milk.

Keep in mind that goats milk is also quite caloric, so you don’t want to feed much even if your cat stomach tolerates it fine.

ETA: I wouldn’t buy from sketchy online marketplaces, either. I get my goats milk kefir from a local shop near home.
I got it, and did a taste test, it taste good for me, and i gave them a sample of a single tablespoon. They seem to love it, so i will just need to monitor their bowel movement the next few days.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Their litters are fine today. I couldn't find anything with it, so i guess it's fine and i gave them 2 tbspoon mixed with water today and see tomorrow.

If they are still fine then i plan on giving them 2 or 3 times a week mixed with water so they drink water more too.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In case you missed it and it's a brand in your area

Food Safety Recall: St. John Creamery (Stanwood, WA) recalls St. John Creamery retail raw goat milk (1-pt and half-gal containers; Best by 100321 (10/3) through 101121 (10/11)) due to possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination.