"Go-Limp" trait in cats other than Ragdolls?

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if this is a behavior or health (genetic) question so I'll post it here. Mods, feel free to move if needed.

We all know that Ragdolls and their related breeds have the eponymous tendency to go limp like a ragdoll when picked up. Rain has the same tendency to turn into a sack of potatoes when she's picked up, especially when she's dozing or just chilling out, and surely other cats do it too. Rain seems to do it just as much as a Ragdoll kitty, though I seriously doubt that she has any kind of Raggy parentage. She even often stays limp when laying in my lap, and she loves to be held on my lap or in our arms on her back, like a little baby. She sometimes gets so floppy, it's just like trying to pick up a Slinky toy! Yet there's no obvious health issue going on that causes her to show a lack of muscle tone. Indeed, she will turn into a spring when she wants to play! I even call her my little Fur Slinky!

However, even the first Ragdoll cats showed this trait "at random", and the foundation litter was the result of a woman who bred her white cat to free-roaming neighborhood cats who were almost certainly of unknown parentage.

According to CFA,

Ragdolls were developed in the 1960’s by Ann Baker; a breeder in Riverside California. The origin of the Ragdoll breed consisted almost entirely of free-roaming cats. Ann bred Josephine, a domestic longhaired white female that was found running loose in her neighborhood, to other cats she owned or found. The offspring of this female had unique temperament traits that were very endearing. By selecting individuals with the look, temperament and criteria she wanted for her breeding program, she created the Ragdoll breed.
Breed Profile: The Ragdoll
So, here's the question-- is the "Go-Limp" trait a genetic thing or is it behavioral? And, who here has a cat that does the Fur Slinky thing, yet is not a known Ragdoll or Raggy mix or related breed (like a Ragamuffin)? If your Fur Slinky is a purebred or known mix... what breed is your cat?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my previous cats, just an ordinary domestic shorthair, turned limp when you picked her up. My son used to hold her and move her like an accordion and she just loved it. I think it is a personality trait of some cats to love and trust humans so much that laying in our arms or being picked up totally relaxes them.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
My Willow is starting to go limp when I pick her up for grooming or to move her and she is in the mood to just snuggle in my lap for awhile. She is just an ordinary domestic shorthair, and about Rain's age, IIRC. I had two pre-existing dogs and she bonded well with them, but seems to be becoming much more interested in and affectionate towards "the human" lately.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I observe Ragdolls at shows, although they seem like nice friendly cats, their behavior does not appear to be significantly different from other cats when they are picked up by judges. So I am skeptical about the claim that Ragdolls have a special way of "going limp" when picked up that is different from other breeds.

Chibi-Miki13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
whatever it is I think my Krieg has it! I have no idea of his origin bit he goes limp all the time. He has a slight " ragdoll- like" look to him but still without knowing he is just a domestic short-medium? haired boy

image_468779_19700119_000254_by_points_for_paws_ddlaca3-pre.jpg

20190823_014637.jpg