Glyco Flex Plus Is Not As Effective After 6 Months???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tbh, it seems it is all a guessing game - and our kits are somewhat guinea pigs. But, I guess that's pretty much true of humans too.

Keep us posted on the hemp oil addition for Lily! Maybe have to add it to Feeby's regiment!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Keep us posted on the hemp oil addition for Lily! Maybe have to add it to Feeby's regiment!
I will. She doesn’t like the taste, and you’re supposed to give it on an empty stomach. But I tried squirting it in her mouth a couple of times, and she started to run when she saw me coming. So now I crumble one nugget of S&C freeze-dried Duck Duck Goose, drip the hemp oil into it, and then crumble another nugget on top. She can smell the stuff, of course, but she’s so food motivated that she eats it anyway, even though I can tell she’s not happy that I’ve ruined some perfectly good Duck Duck Goose. I’ll give it a couple of weeks, and if it doesn’t seem to help, I’ll stop.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, boy. That's too bad about the taste for her. Kind of crummy. Certainly wouldn't bother if it doesn't help. No other options in terms of gettiing some other version with some sort of flavoring?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have read that Adequan can be injected at home subcutaneously. If that’s the case, then it’s no harder than B-12 to do.

But it seems to be a variation on either the glucosamine or chondroitin. I’m worried that those shots would soup Krista’s poops just the same as GlycoFlex/Cosequin.

That’s why I’ve purchased the Assisi Loop for Krista. Just ordered it this morning so should have it next week.

A couple other things I have tried are Wild Salmon Oil which has more of the EFAs than the fish oil and CBD oil from the cannabis dispensaries. For the oils, I mix a daily dose into a can of food and then stir that up good. I put a sticker on the side of that can that tells me it has the oil. Then because my fur pig eats more than a can a day, I figure out what ratio I need to mix in from a food that doesn’t have oil added so that she only gets the daily dose. For CBD, I’m thinking about putting in two days’ dose into a 5.5 oz can so I can feed half the proportion of the oil added food vs the “unpoisoned” food. ;)

That said, I’m probably going to take her off the CBD oil barely after we started (last night) so I can see what the Assisi does for her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
6 weeks into the Glyco Flex and it has helped some with her jumping up on stuff that she had stopped before - not back to where she was back in Feb/Mar, but better than 6 weeks ago. I guess that is the best I can hope for.

However, now she has stopped crawling under the bed when she is scared by thunder storms (alas, all her life). She has resorted to hiding in the closet - so another agility issue I presume.

I am going to start a new thread about the fused vertebrae in her back to see if anyone else has experiences with such a thing. I was told by the vet that arthritic meds would not likely help much with this issue. :(

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you call up Assisi Animal Health and see if Feeby would be a good candidate for the Loop?

Krista is getting up and laying down like her joints aren't bothering her as much anymore. Where she used to watch me from the ground about half the time, she now joins me on the counter for meal prep every meal now. I even caught her jumping onto the one counter she's not allowed on (the stovetop counter) when she's got an easier way to get up there. She has an easier way up to the meal prep counter which she readily uses. She also has an easy path onto my desk (I've been building her arthritis-friendly paths to her favorite perches) but she has started making that desk jump again. So the Loop is doing something for her.

Assisi Animal Health

There is also a Facebook group for Loop users that you may be able to post in to see if someone is using it for the same condition.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks! That is good to hear about Krista!

I will contact the Assisi groups and see if anyone has a cat with fused vertebrae is/has been using the Loop. Certainly can't hurt to try!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even her body condition looks better since we started the Loop. Maybe without so much inflammation in her body, her calories are going to muscle building rather than tissue inflammation? I don't know for sure but she's been looking better, moving better, sleeping better, talking more, and she's more affectionate (was that even possible?) because she can climb into my lap more often.

It works on pain and inflammation by mechanisms that work in humans too. I don't know about you, but I certainly have enough inflammation to use it if it wasn't working for her. It does not have a rechargeable battery so it has a finite number of uses. The loading dose should take us through her first Loop. When we switch to maintenance, I may end up sharing the next Loop with her. ;)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you call up Assisi Animal Health and see if Feeby would be a good candidate for the Loop?
Just out of curiosity, did you talk to your vet about the Loop - just to see what their opinion of it was?

I did that with my vet when I researched Glyco Flex and then he researched it as well, and called me with his opinion. I might just do the same with this Assisi Loop - if nothing else, I will find out how tolerant he is... :rolleyes::fear:

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve been waiting to update my (well, Lily’s) experience with Pet Releaf Hemp Oil 330. I wanted to give it plenty of time. She’s been on it now for about three weeks.

According to the manufacturer, it contains 100 mg. active CBD per bottle or 3.3 mg. per dropper full. Lily gets half a dropper in the morning and half in the evening based on her size.

Here are my observations:
  • She still often limps badly on her right front leg.
  • She appears to be calmer about Mocha’s presence in our lives. She doesn’t hiss and growl as much and is more tolerant about Mocha coming up to touch noses. Mocha is the very non-aggressive, semi-feral cat I adopted in Oct. 2017.
  • It has a noticeable herb-y odor, and Lily hated it at first. It’s supposed to be absorbed better on an empty stomach, but Lily started to run away from me when she saw me coming with the dropper. Now I cut two S&C Duck Duck Goose freeze-dried morsels in half, drip the oil on them, then flip them over so the oil is on the bottom. Then I give her half of an untreated morsel to get her started. She then will eat the others and I finish her off with another untreated morsel. She does try to wait me out on the untreated morsels, but she finally eats the treated ones. But she is a very food-motivated cat.
So. I don’t think the CBD is helping her arthritis, but I do think she seems...less grumpy. She actually tried to play a bit in some Chewy packing paper, and I can’t remember the last time I saw her do that. I’ll keep giving it to her as long as she seems to be a bit more relaxed.

She just limped over to the sofa and jumped up to lie down next to me. I may have to give up and try the meloxicam. It just makes me feel terrible to see her having so much trouble walking. :(

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the Assisi website, they have an information pdf you can give to your vet. Your vet needs to sign off on the prescription anyway. But if you consult the fb group or you call Assisi and find out if it’s helping other cats with Feeby’s condition, you might be in a better place to convince your vet if he needs convincing.

This is what my vet said:

“Just as an FYI, I haven't found much of any research regarding EM therapy in a controlled environment. There's lots of anecdotal support. So, just be aware it may not do anything for her, and there's always a chance she might respond negatively to it.”

I’m used to having disagreements or skepticism from my vet(s). But my vet was willing to sign off on it anyway.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 - here is the response I received from Assisi Animal Health:

"We are not able to give you any veterinary advice as you'd have to speak to your veterinarian regarding the prognosis for your cat. What we can do is provide you with information on where the LOOP has been effectively used to reduce pain and inflammation due to the microcurrent targeting the body's own natural anti-inflammatory process by enhancing nitric oxide production."

So, if my assumption is correct about Feeby's condition (See Fused Vertebrae/spondylosis Deformans), then the Assisi Loop wouldn't do anything for her as it would seem she does not have pain or inflammation related to what I think is now her primary mobility issue.

Oh well, it was worth a try.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tobermory Tobermory , since Lily has trouble with her front leg, have you considered buying light tissue paper, the stuff you put in gifts, and crumpling that for her to play with?

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Did you ever try the Glyco Flex and did you ever get x-rays done?
I’m still using Cosequin. I increased the dosage in April and it helped a bit. Based on the chart you did awhile ago, the dosage I’m currently using has the same amount of chondroitin and glucosamine as the Glyco Flex, although none of the other ingredients. Where do you buy yours? So many reviewers say the chews are rock hard and seem stale when they get them. I might try the Glyco Flex for Lily, but I’ll keep her sister, Iris, on Cosequin. Iris’s arthritis isn’t nearly as bad. I haven’t had Lily in for an X-ray. I may fold that into her regular vet visit in a couple of months.

Tobermory Tobermory , since Lily has trouble with her front leg, have you considered buying light tissue paper, the stuff you put in gifts, and crumpling that for her to play with?
Great minds! :) I made the girls crinkle balls out of iridescent cellophane wrapping paper a few months ago, but honestly, they aren’t very excited about them. But what all three love are these small weightless yarn balls I found at the grocery store.

Lily says, “Meh” to the homemade toy.
4AF58434-15AF-492F-AB1B-B94AC2669E62.jpeg
“But I will bat this yarn ball around, and I love to lie next to it.”
C0493324-9368-47C3-8D68-6A354AAF89D2.jpeg

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Little yarn balls are nice. I'm crazy about iridescent cellophane wrapping paper and the Mylar balls that aren't good for cats. (when they get wet the dye comes off on the cats or in the water bowl. I don't get them wet and happily keep them in a nice jar to look at.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
the dosage I’m currently using has the same amount of chondroitin and glucosamine as the Glyco Flex, although none of the other ingredients. Where do you buy yours? So many reviewers say the chews are rock hard and seem stale when they get them.
I got mine through Amazon, and there are multiple 'suppliers'. So, with the last incident with Glyco Flex Plus, I think I am sticking with the "EntirelyPets' supplier. The chews are big, and somewhat hard; but, I cut them up into about 5 pieces and Feeby eats them that way (along with her hairball treats). I have also found it is not that hard to crumble them with my fingers when Feeby leaves a piece behind - then, I add it to her wet dinner meal.

“But I will bat this yarn ball around, and I love to lie next to it.”
:lol: Feeby will bat at a yarn ball ONCE, after that it is TOO FAR AWAY from her to bother. She is happy to play with something for a minute or two, as long as she can be laying on her back, and doesn't have to move otherwise!!

:flail:This is Feeby, without as much movement!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tobermory Tobermory , in all seriousness, when you do get x-rays done, and if they say there are vertebrae involved, be prepared to ask about what that means. When you have some time, read my other thread (Fused Vertebrae/spondylosis Deformans). This condition is not as rare as you might think. It may not apply, but it can't hurt to be prepared.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , I wanted to come back to this thread and update you on the Pet Releaf Hemp Oil I’ve been giving Lily for her arthritis. She’s been on it now almost five months, and while she’s a little stiff, the bad limp Is gone!:woo:

Ideally it should be given on an empty stomach, but I can’t squirt it in her mouth because she runs away. So I hold back a tiny amount of food at each of her two meals. Then about two hours later, I mix the hemp oil with the dab of food and feed it to her. She’s so used to the taste now that she doesn’t hesitate to scarf it down. Of course, the other two cats are outraged that Lily is getting a treat and they’re not, so I have to give them a little nibble of something. :)