Glyco Flex Plus Is Not As Effective After 6 Months???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Update: 1 week into the new bag, and no change yet. I am sure that I am being overly impatient. We'll see what happens after Week 2...:crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

She is still readily eating readily them like she used to before that last bag.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
At least Feeby’s happier about this new bag! I hope week 2 will see improvement.

I guess it’s been about a month since I increased Lily’s Cosequin. I don’t think it’s made much of a difference. And what concerns me is that she’s only 15 and can reasonably be expected to live several more years, as my cats do. What am I going to do if her arthritis continues to get worse and she’s has trouble walking? I worry. :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I guess it’s been about a month since I increased Lily’s Cosequin. I don’t think it’s made much of a difference.
You might have already said, and I forgot (sorry), but did you have Lily x-rayed to see where there are arthritic/joint issues? The only reason I ask is that while Feeby has a bit of arthritis in one elbow and a few toes, her x-rays also showed two nearly fused vertebrae in her upper spine. The vet wasn't sure Glyco Flex, or any other similar product, would do anything for her if the spine was the cause of her limping. So, when I tried it and it worked, I figured it was the elbow/toes arthritis that was acting up.

Now, if it doesn't work this time, I might be asking the vet about what can be done to help with the fused vertebrae, and could that have somehow gotten worse since her last x-ray (which was about a year ago).

Hope that is not the case with your Lily.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my dog's hip dysplasure became bad enough that we realized it existed we started her on Rimidyll and cosequin. over the years we increased the dose of Rimidyll and continued the cosequin. But she needed both. You could tell the difference if she didn't get the cosequin. But the cosequin alone was never enough for her condition. With SG I'm just hoping there will be something she isn't allergic to when she needs a stronger medicine to go with the dasuquin. I hope the same is true for Feeby and Lily.

We did have a cat who did well on cortisone. He was 18 when we got him. I know neither of you wants to consider cortisone, the stuff scares me after another cat developed diabetes with it and the other one Cushings, but it is something to keep in mind.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And I forgot to say, I'm glad Feeby is at least eating the medicine. When we started the dasuquin the vet said it could take a month to see the effect. It was much quicker than that. However, Feeby's lowered the amount in her body from the bottle she didn't like and must rebuild her level. Did I get that right?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
However, Feeby's lowered the amount in her body from the bottle she didn't like and must rebuild her level. Did I get that right?
If the old bag did have something wrong with it, then technically she would have been off the Glyco for nearly a month before I started the new bag. The instructions say to give two a day for the first 3-4 weeks, and then continue thereafter with one a day. I never did give her two, and I swear I saw results in a week - but, hey, maybe I just lost track of time - and as I said now I am being overly impatient!!!

I hate to consider Rimidyll, but if I have to give her a mild pain med, I guess I will.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
You might have already said, and I forgot (sorry), but did you have Lily x-rayed to see where there are arthritic/joint issues?
She hasn’t had an X-ray. I just described her symptoms to the vet, and he felt around on her joints and tail and down her spine. He said he could feel the results of arthritis particularly around her lower spine near the base of her tail. But I can see that her front legs are getting a bit curved, and she’s limping on her front right leg. She walks stiffly.

I know neither of you wants to consider cortisone, the stuff scares me after another cat developed diabetes with it and the other one Cushings, but it is something to keep in mind.
Yeah, I really hate the thought of pain meds or cortisone. I still haven’t tried the Meloxidyl because of the warnings about it, but at some point, I may have to cautiously try some of these things.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She hasn’t had an X-ray. I just described her symptoms to the vet, and he felt around on her joints and tail and down her spine. He said he could feel the results of arthritis particularly around her lower spine near the base of her tail. But I can see that her front legs are getting a bit curved, and she’s limping on her front right leg. She walks stiffly.
Bummer. :( I don't see Feeby's front legs curving, but she does limp when first getting up and walks stiffly too until she gets moving. But, then since she doesn't move a lot - a lot of her walking is stiff. :ohwell: It all sucks...

You and I - and all others - will keep plugging on until we find something!! You might want to consider getting an x-ray at some point, just to see how extensive it all is. I think I paid $140 for 3 different frames/shots - and that wasn't a year ago like I thought, it was about 8 months ago.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly don't know if cats can have Rimidyll. My dog started on it the day she couldn't stand up period. She was four years old.

Back in the day when my first cat to develop arthritis to the point where she couldn't stand up there was nothing offered, not even the cortisone (which is weird now that I think about it, because later we found the 18 year old with bad arthritis and they gave it to him. This was in the 70s.) I bought a large window air conditioner and that made all the difference. As long as she stayed in the room with it and those rooms connected to that room she could walk okay. No running and jumping, but walking.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I bought a large window air conditioner and that made all the difference. As long as she stayed in the room with it and those rooms connected to that room she could walk okay. No running and jumping, but walking.
Thankfully because we live in FL, Feeby LOVES to lay on the screened in patio - in the sun - in the middle of the summer!! I am guessing the heat soothes her 'achy bones'? Or, she just takes after her 'mama' and loves the sun!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I can tell arthritis takes people and cats and dogs differently. I think the a/c drying the air out helped. One of my friend's dogs found long warm soaks helped, while mine liked the water as cold as I could make it. She jumped in on her own and splashed the water all over the living room.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Closing in on Week 3 (started new Glyco Flex Plus bag 5/1), and maybe, maybe, maybe a tiny bit of improvement??

She is still no where close to jumping up on all of her favorite spots like she was back in March - but she is at least doing it some of the time now.

Guess I will just keep at it and hope to see more improvement by the end of Week 4. I swear it didn't take this long back when she started Glyco last October...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok, at the end of Week 4 I might see a tad bit more agility from Feeby, but certainly not where she was back in February/March. I am going to look at the other Glyco Flex products and refresh my memory about what amount of chondroitin, glucosamine, and green lipped mussels were in each - as well as any other ingredients. Perhaps, she needs more of one of the above ingredients and less of another?

Or, maybe this is just her new norm? I do believe that the level of desire is playing a role, as she jumps up on some (not all) of her old favorite places with some regularity now. Maybe it is just like what she has done with all of her toys and she has now gotten tired of some of these places?

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd do the research because that's what I do. What does your vet say?

It is summer now. Perhaps she's less interested in moving much in the warm weather.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The vet said no harm in keeping her on Glyco Flex Plus regardless of whether is as effective as it was, as he thought it probably is helping her some. But, that is when he mentioned the Adequan shots - he believes study results and a panel of vets he participates in has convinced him that this is probably the most effective arthritic treatment at this time. He didn't push it, just said to think about it and watch her to see if things worsen/improve. I was just turned off by it because for the first 4 weeks it is a weekly shot and quarterly thereafter - and, at this time must be administered by a vet. I haven't done the research on Adequan either, but will add it to my list.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, that didn't help much really - in terms of comparing the 3 Glyco Flex products and then looking at Adequan.

Adequan is a polysulfated glycosaminoglycan, a cartilage protective agent and is basically made from cows' tracheae (I guess the same thing as the chondroitin listed in the products below which are all noted as "bovine cartilage"). It was originally approved for horses and dogs, and has been expanded for use with cats. If there are other active ingredients in it, I wasn't able to find that.

Pro: Proven to help cats with urinary issues (FLUTD, cystitis) as well as arthritis.
Con: Can thin the blood, so must be discontinued before any surgery.
Side Effects: Possible injection site irritation/inflammation.

It is administered via an intra-muscular injection.

As far as the 3 Glyco Flex products, as well as standard versions of Cosequin & Dasuquin - a comparison of them on the chart below.

I think I am sticking with Glyco Flex Plus for now. Can't really see a reason not to.

IMG_20190530_0002.jpg

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
This chart is really interesting. Thank you for putting it together! Lily has been getting two Cosequin capsules twice a day since early April. That equals one Glyco Flex Plus in terms of the amount of glucosamine and chondroitin. I wonder what role the other ingredients in Glyco Flex Plus play (besides the green lipped mussel). I do add fish oil and Vitamins B and E to their food. But even increasing her Cosequin from once a day to twice a day, she still has many days where she limps badly on her right front leg.

I also started her on Pet Releaf’s Hemp Oil 330 about three days ago. It contains CBD. We’ll see if it helps.