Glycerin suppositories??

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd call the vet as soon as the office opens and ask to be 100% sure. Can you use Miralax or generic equivalent (Polyethylene glycol 3350, no other ingredients) in the meantime? A safe cat sized dose is 1/8 teaspoon dissolved in about a tablespoon or so of water and then mixed into canned cat food or other moist treat. You can give up to twice a day until you can speak with the vet. Adding canned pumpkin puree to the diet may help but some cats won't eat it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

P+P's Meom

What if I don't want to stay calm?
Adult Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 , Thank you!!
:bouquet:

short reply:
Woke today to discover a small amount of ... success ... after days of 2x/day of miralax. Both Pitter + I feel a bit better - tho I know he's got more to ... "share." He's feeling better, so I'm feeling better. Will stick with miralax and check in with his vet tomorrow, just for future reference.

LONG REPLY:
P+P both eat only wet food. I actually add some some miralax into the recipe as a preventative - they both have a history of problems with constipation, but especially Pitter. Also in the recipe: just enough pumpkin baby food that Patter can pretend to not taste it and some Slippery Elm Bark, which Pitter loves + Patter's ok with.

As for trying to hide anything in their food ...
:flail:

When extra miralax is needed I put it/water in a syringe to make sure the right cat actually gets it. Both are on daily meds + take capsules/pills without a problem. (Preceded + followed by a drink of water via oral syringe!)

I have packets of Tiki Cat Pumpkin + Wheatgrass to give for a tummy aches - or for when he doesn't want to eat at all. (Hard to believe that ever happens. He's become quite a chonk. 😬) Have discovered that adding chicken baby food to the pumpkin helps. (Chicken + broth as only ingredients! or turkey/broth or beef/broth.)

Bit of background:
In 2019, Pitter was diagnosed with pancreatitis and ibd, both via ultrasound by an Internal Medicine vet. He's got a weird set of symptoms.
In 2016, Patter was diagnosed with epilepsy (focal seizures, no convulsions.) She's been fairly stable on meds the past few years. Have recently added cbd which has eased her stress over her big brother being sick.

They turned 7 years old last month!
:devilcat2::lovecat:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, the pediatric suppositories are safe, but you still need to cut off a more cat-sized piece to insert. They usually bring on a poop in tiny kittens in about 20-30 minutes after stimulation. I’ve not used them on an adult cat, so if you do, please let us know the result. Best of luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

P+P's Meom

What if I don't want to stay calm?
Adult Cat
Purraise
:redheartpump: Thank you catsknowme catsknowme and Sarthur2 Sarthur2 ! :redheartpump:

Fortunately, Pitter saw the little jar of suppositories, and decided he'd poop on his own. It just took a bit longer for the miralax to help + I was getting worried.

OMG! Those things are huge! I was not looking forward to giving him even a bit of one!

It sounded like a good idea, but upon further thought, I've decided that anything that needs to go in the hiney, is getting done by his vet - unless it's an absolute emergency ... I like my blood on the inside.

A bit of olive oil sounds like a good idea! Any recommendations on an amount to start with? I'll need to put it in capsules instead of their food to make sure they each get a reasonable amount. Patter gets cbd oil in a capsule 3×/day, I can just add a drop or 2 of olive oil to her existing caps.

(Here I am, all grown up + still talking about animals pooping . . .) :crazy: