Gluten Free Recipes

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found this recipe here.http://www.celiac.com/articles/457/1/White-Bread-2-Gluten-Free/Page1.html
I have modified the recipe for mixing in a stand mixer.

Gluten Free Sandwich Bread

1/2 cup corn starch
2/3 cup dry powdered dry milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon xanthan gum
2 packets dry yeast
2 cups white rice flour
1 cup tapioca flour
1 1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cup warm water
1/4 cup cooking oil. I used canola
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
4 eggs lightly beaten

Put all dry ingredients in the bowl to the stand mixer. I use a Kitchen Aid. Mix well one to two minutes on low speed (I used 2 on Kitchen Aid Mixer) Use a Teflon loaf pan or grease another pan and flour lightly with one of the above flours. Pour batter into the pan. Use a rubber spatula. Keep dipping in warm water and smooth out the batter. Let rise in a warm area for 1 1/2 hours. Bake at 350 degrees. Do not allow the top to over brown. I put a sheet of foil lightly over the top about halfway through baking time. Baking time is about 50 minutes. Cool about 10 minutes. Remove and continue to cool about 30 minutes longer. Enjoy.

Last edited:

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Homemade Gluten-Free Cornbread Stuffing: :)

I'll preface this by saying I "eyeball" just about everything, so sorry in advance if the measurements are a little off. Also, for the best "crisp", you really should cook stuffing in a cast iron skillet! Also, this is more of a sweet, Southern cornbread recipe.

I make a GF Buttermilk Cornbread to use as my "breadcrumbs", but Whole Foods also sells gf stuffing breadcrumbs in the frozen section that would work, OR you can just toast up your Gluten-Free bread and pinch it off into crumbs as well.

GF Buttermilk Cornbread:
-First and foremost, if you're cooking Gluten-Free, make sure that your cast iron skillet has been re-seasoned so that you won't contaminate yourself. There are tutorials online on how to re-season a cast iron skillet.

1. Cornbread Ingredients:
-Bob's Red Meal Gluten-Free Cornbread Meal (Got mine at Whole Foods) You can just follow the directions on the package for making it. For the liquid portion, I add in 1 1/2-2 cups of buttermilk, and I also add in 1/2 tsp of sugar, 1/4 cup melted butter, 1 1/2 tsp of hot sauce, 2 beaten eggs, and a pinch of salt and pepper. I follow the cooking directions on the package and cook in a cast iron skillet. If you want to bypass all of that, you could just use GF breadcrumbs from Whole Foods, or toast your own GF bread. Nothing beats cornbread though! ;)

Additional Stuffing Ingredients
(For the apples and veggies, try to dice everything to the same size so it cooks evenly)
-One skillet gf buttermilk cornbread, cooked, and broiled into golden, crunchy pieces.
-Honey Crisp Apples (3, diced)
-Celery (one whole bunch, diced)
-Sweet Yellow Onion (two whole, diced...I like a lot of onion in mine, but you could get away with one if you prefer)
-Garlic (one clove, minced)
-drizzle of EVOO on dish pan and on top of ingredients
-Lousiana Hot Sauce (I eyeball this)
-Garlic Salt (1tsp)
- 2 cups of freshly shredded turkey or chicken ( a rotissary chicken is an easy "short cut")
-2 TBSP chopped parsley
-2 TBSP chopped basil
-2 TBSP chopped thyme
-2TBSP chopped Dill
-2 TBSP sea salt
- 1 - 1 1/4cup of organic, gluten-free chicken stock
-black peppercorn (1 TBSP)
-1 fresh bay leaf (I put it on the very top of everything, so I can remove it after baking)
-Chili powder (2 tsp)
-1/2 stick of unsalted, natural butter, chopped into pieces for more uniform melting.
- 2 eggs, beaten (I use the large brown, organic eggs)

-Preheat oven to 350
I sautee EVOO, onion, celery, garlic, and apples until they're lightly browned on the stove top, then add in a pinch of chicken stock, seasonings, meat, and cornbread, and continue to sautee for about 10 more minutes, keeping an eye on it so I don't burn the edges.

-Pour ingredients into a large mixing bowl, and add in beaten eggs, butter, and chicken stock mixture. Mix well, and then add back into cast iron skillet (You may need to use two cast iron skillets, two disposable aluminum baking tins, or two pyrex glass dishes for this recipe), top with the one bay leaf. Bake in a 350 oven for around 30-40 minutes, until golden brown. Broil on high (keeping a careful eye on it) for about 3-5 minutes to crisp everything up to a nice golden brown. Remove from oven to cool, and then serve. (don't forget to remove the bay leaf)

Last edited:

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gluten Free Black Rice:

-1 cup black rice
- 1& 3/4 cup water
-1 tsp sea salt

Toppings:
- pine nuts
- dried cranberries
Or
-Almond slivers
-dried pomegranate

Prep:
Soak one cup of rice in water for 15 minutes, stir, then rinse and repeat until water is no longer cloudy. (3-4 times)

Directions:
Bring water to bowl on stove, and add in sea salt. Add rice and reduce to low heat, and cover.

Cook for 40 minutes on low heat, covered. Remove from heat, fluff with fork, and let sit for 5-7 minutes. Fluff again, then serve.

I like to add a pinch of butter or EVOO to mine. I also add Sea Salt, and Pepper. I top it with pine nuts and dried cranberries, or almond slivers and dried pomegranate. Delish!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Today I made a gluten free banana pudding. Actually it was so easy because I used mixes to do it. I bought a box of Hodgson Mill cookie mix from Wal Mart. I baked the cookies according to the package directions. Then I mixed a box of gluten free vanilla pudding (Baker's Corner Brand) according to the package directions except I used 2% milk, not fat free. I let the cookies cool, then laid them out on the bottom of a casserole dish. I sliced bananas on top of them. Then I poured vanilla pudding on top and spread it around. I then put another layer of the cookies on top of the pudding and sliced more bananas. I topped it with the rest of the pudding. I put it in fridge to chill. When I served it, I topped it with Cool Whip. It tasted so good to me because I don't get many desserts. Hubby ate it and said nobody would ever know if I didn't tell that it was gluten free. :lol3:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Calling all fruitcake lovers who are gluten free. I have really been craving some myself and I finally figured out how to do it. I have my aunt's recipe for icebox fruitcake which used graham cracker crumbs to hold it together. I couldn't find them at a price I could afford, small boxes, large prices, etc. So I hit on a way to substitute for the graham cracker crumbs. Here is what I did.

I used what I had in the pantry which was on Bob's Red Mill shortbread cookie mix and a box of Hodgson Mill cookie mix. both gluten free of course.
Bake cookies and cool them. I put them in the blender, hit the crumb button and measured until I had crumbs.

1 cup evaporated milk. (Condensed milk might also work here)
4 cups mini marshmallows (use 32 large and cut in pieces if desired)
6 tablespoons of orange juice or alcohol flavoring (I used imitation rum flavoring)

Put it all into a large 3 qt bowl.

In another large bowl

Measure 8 cups of gluten free cookie crumbs
2 cups of raisins (Use 1 cup dark and 1 cup golden)
1 cup chopped dates
1 1/2 cups broken nuts (I used pecans because that is what I have in my yard.)
1 1/2 cup mixed candied fruit

Add these ingredients to the milk mixture and mix with hands until thoroughly moistened.

I sprayed two glass loaf pans with canola spray. Then divide the mixture and press firmly into the pan. I covered the top with waxed paper. One cake is in the refrigerator and one is in my freezer. Because there are no preservatives in the cookies, didn't want my second cake to mold in the refrigerator.

My aunt's recipe called for spices, 1/2 teaspoon each of cinnamon and nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon cloves. I didn't want my fruitcake to taste like a spiced one, so I omitted the spices.

Chill the cake at least four hours before trying to slice. I am going to leave them in the loaf pants and slice them from there.

I thought there might be someone who might just try to make this if they are really hungry for fruitcake. I am proud of it and I think it turned out great for a first time effort.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here's a delicious gluten free brownie:    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/161701/black-bean-brownies/

I'm not gluten intolerant, but I am vegetarian, so I appreciate the extra protein in these. 

Per reviews on the site, I add 1 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp baking powder to the recipe, and omit the coffee.  

The beans seem like an odd ingredient, but so far everyone who has tried them agree they are very brownie-like.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's a delicious gluten free brownie:    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/161701/black-bean-brownies/

I'm not gluten intolerant, but I am vegetarian, so I appreciate the extra protein in these. 
Per reviews on the site, I add 1 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp baking powder to the recipe, and omit the coffee.  

The beans seem like an odd ingredient, but so far everyone who has tried them agree they are very brownie-like.
rubysmama rubysmama I am saving this recipe to try somewhere down the road. Right now, we are still eating fruitcake. :lol3:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm always interested in new dessert recipes and do quite a bit of searching online for them, and sometimes i come across recipes for gluten free desserts.

some of our members here at TCS are gluten free, and from what i've read here in various threads, gluten free baking can be......a challenge. so i thought we'd start a thread where gluten free dessert recipes could be posted, as well as links to websites offering gluten free dessert recipes.

i found this website today, which offers gluten free dessert recipes, as well as gluten free baking tips (see the 'Gluten Free' tab up at the top right of the webpage) --
https://sweetnessandbite.com/super-easy-3-ingredient-chocolate-mousse/
Super Easy 3 Ingredient Chocolate Mousse - Sweetness & Bite

i was searching for a good and relatively simple mousse recipe, will be using carob instead of dark chocolate. if you look at the recipes section, see tab up at the top of the webpage, you'll see quite a few gluten free recipes for cakes, cookies, and cupcakes.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise