Glue the water bowl to the floor

AmandaRox

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old was your cat when they became sufficient at drinking from a water bowl?
Rox is 6 months, and has always preferred the outdoor faucet or the sink. I have tried 2 different water fountains, and she just paws and splashes the water everywhere. She is actually pretty good about "washing her paws" after the litter box and when we come in from a walk.. but that's not what I intended the water bowl for. Currently, I have a water bowl that I set in the shower when I go to work, because I know she will knock it over. Every bowl- steel, saucer, colored, glass, white, black, plates, cups. EVERY BOWL is the same issue: stands in with both paws, spashes, knocks over, drinks from puddle.
I also have this feeling that she has a bit of Abyssinian in her. I heard they like water. She is also leash trained and has no problem going out in the rain, and "fishing" in the creek (does not go deeper than her belly) , and the oddest behavior of any cat I've owned- she sits in the shower with me! Just not with head in the direct water stream. I cant even train her with a spray bottle. She just looks at me dumbfounded and licks herself as I spray.
I diverse.
I just want to be able to have fresh water for her all day while I work. Unfortunately come home and it's just dirty paw water in and around her fountain and a bowl knocked over in the shower.
Anyone else have a cat that would rather play in water than drink it? Advice??

Attachments

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the same problem with my boy, so I bought bowls with a suction that can’t be moved and it works perfectly. He also stopped playing with it since he didn’t manage to knock it over. But I actually leave him some bowls in the sink to play with, so that he can get some moisture when he licks himself after play. That’s the only time he actually gets any water by himself these days.
this is my model:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XP1Q2R7/?tag=thecatsite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AmandaRox

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have the same problem with my boy, so I bought bowls with a suction that can’t be moved and it works perfectly. He also stopped playing with it since he didn’t manage to knock it over. But I actually leave him some bowls in the sink to play with, so that he can get some moisture when he licks himself after play. That’s the only time he actually gets any water by himself these days.
this is my model:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XP1Q2R7/?tag=thecatsite
That's awesome! Ordering ASAP. Thank you so much!!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ordered the double feeder. :woohoo: Boone makes messes with the dry food and if I miss one piece and it gets on the floor, we get ants. (For some reason if a piece of dry food lands on the placemat underneath the bowls, no ants. 🤷‍♀️ ). Plus he plays with the water bowl and turns it sideways every day.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not all Abyssinians play water. My purebreed one does not. Some cats are just fascinated with water.

Some people leave a faucet trickle all day so the cat can have water but not make a mess. Obviously that wastes water and causes your water bill to go up. Placing the bowl in the bathtub or shower or in a shallow tray will contain messes. A suction cup bowl also works.

AmandaRox

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good to know. I'm wondering if she will grow out of it. I just hate the idea of her getting dehydrated.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good to know. I'm wondering if she will grow out of it. I just hate the idea of her getting dehydrated.
They really don't need to drink much at all if you are feeding wet food.

My feeding strategy is that I put down a half a can, and if they aren't done with it the second feeding gets delayed maybe an hour or two. If they still aren't done with it, and its browned, I put the new food in, add a tiny bit of water and mix it up. Makes the smell pop, and they go nuts for it, plus they get a little extra water. I essentially never see my cats drinking water.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cost of letting the kitchen sink faucet slowly drip. It can't add more than a toilet flush of water per day if its a slow drip. Hair in the drain is a bigger issue for me, since who wants to fuss with a clog.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t suggest gluing but perhaps some Velcro on the bottom and on a lipped tray will keep the water and water bowl contained. The alternative is a heavy self waterer. Those aren’t always foolproof,thiugh I did have one who figured out how to use her head to pop the liter bottle out of its holder.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A bowl or other source of water should always be available regardless of the type of diet fed or if you ever see a cat drinking or not :) There's already been suggestions on how to minimize puddles and splashes.

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have water cats and the water dish in the shower - we use very heavy dishes made for huge dogs and they work well and. do not get tipped over - in. the rest of the house ... we have the water dishes in low bins ... I don't mind them splashing all too much this way ... my cats all love to lick up shower water - and they love getting a ball in a bin of water for fun ... I have siamese/ Manx mixes and Ragdoll babies ... and water is a big enrichment thing here ;-)

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There's always those water bottles with a ball in the lid that is used in cages (you've probably seen them for rodent cages). I know the lids/corks come in sizes large enough for small dogs. You'd have to fasten it somewhere though.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Koshka went through a faze where she would knock her water bowel over. I eventually used a circle of duct tape to secure her bowel on the bottom to her feeding mat. I put a big bowel of water in the tub to let her get it out of her system. She is still completely fascinated by the water in her bowel. Every time I give her fresh (and I don’t have to tape anymore) she will rush over to look down into the bowel. “Don’t put your paws in that!” Lol

AmandaRox

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have water cats and the water dish in the shower - we use very heavy dishes made for huge dogs and they work well and. do not get tipped over - in. the rest of the house ... we have the water dishes in low bins ... I don't mind them splashing all too much this way ... my cats all love to lick up shower water - and they love getting a ball in a bin of water for fun ... I have siamese/ Manx mixes and Ragdoll babies ... and water is a big enrichment thing here ;-)
That made me happy. A house of clean paws and little puddles lol

AmandaRox

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They really don't need to drink much at all if you are feeding wet food.

My feeding strategy is that I put down a half a can, and if they aren't done with it the second feeding gets delayed maybe an hour or two. If they still aren't done with it, and its browned, I put the new food in, add a tiny bit of water and mix it up. Makes the smell pop, and they go nuts for it, plus they get a little extra water. I essentially never see my cats drinking water.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cost of letting the kitchen sink faucet slowly drip. It can't add more than a toilet flush of water per day if its a slow drip. Hair in the drain is a bigger issue for me, since who wants to fuss with a clog.
I would definitely try to drip my sink, since she prefers it, but we live in an RV and need to be conservative with my 40gal(~151L) tank

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ordered the double feeder. :woohoo: Boone makes messes with the dry food and if I miss one piece and it gets on the floor, we get ants. (For some reason if a piece of dry food lands on the placemat underneath the bowls, no ants. 🤷‍♀️ ). Plus he plays with the water bowl and turns it sideways every day.
It came yesterday and it has already helped stop Boone's messes. Only a little bit of water on the pad (which might have been from me putting the bowl in the hole) and only one piece of dry food on the pad instead of 50.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I decided to just set up two feeding stations so I put the placemat and bowls back down for dry food and water. I will use the other for wet food. The bowls weren't that easy to put in and remove with water in it and I kept spilling.

I put it down with the bowls in it and Boone thought it was time to eat again. I had to remove the bowls and stick them in the pantry.
20201031_115142.jpg

AmandaRox

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I decided to just set up two feeding stations so I put the placemat and bowls back down for dry food and water. I will use the other for wet food. The bowls weren't that easy to put in and remove with water in it and I kept spilling.

I put it down with the bowls in it and Boone thought it was time to eat again. I had to remove the bowls and stick them in the pantry.
View attachment 356981
Looks good though lol

AmandaRox

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried using Shes A Witch's suction bowls, tried a cast iron pot for weight, and tried a magnetic hardware bowl too (it sticks well to the floor over my axles) but Rox just splashes it all out so I'm staying with the shower water bowl. I saw a fountain on Amazon that had a top tray and little drain hole to the reservoir so it seems promising because theres no way to get to the water, only the stream is exposed. Rox and I live in a 20ft×7ft trailer. There is no room for a splash party lol

hurricanemix100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a huge problem with my cat playing in her water bowl and moving it. I finally solved it by getting a water fountain and putting it on a thick feeding mat with raised edges to prevent water running on the floor. Then I bought these thumbtacks on amazon that instead of the normal colored plastic push parts have a small wooden block for that part. I pressed these in to the mat around the perimeter of the fountain. That was she can't move the water fountain. I also put clamps on the top of the fountain to prevent her getting the lid off. Here is a pic of my contraption. It's not pretty but it's impenetrable and immovable and most importantly it permanently solved the problem.

Attachments

AmandaRox

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think this picture really portrays just how crazy about water your kitty is and just how crazy it has made you. (In a mad scientist way) I applaud you and plan on copying your cat sippy cup thing!! 🤘🤘🤘