Glitter in Coat?

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm spefically calling on all the Bengal people on the list, but I welcome any and all other opinions.

Pictured below is a the colored part of a cat whose fur is very reflective. The cat is a cream and white. His owner and I were wondering if he might have glitter--the cat's sparkling coat is very hard to photograph, and the owner says that this photograph does not do it justice.

I was wondering if this could be glitter. Any opinions, guys?

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh cool! I had no clue this had a name. Capone has “Glitter†we always call him retro boy because he has so many reflective strands of fur. I always thought it was a flaw. So, since we are on this subject…what exactly is Glitter?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My understanding is that what is referred to as "glitter" with the Bengal breed is unique to that breed. I think what makes it different from the what might be seen on other breeds is that on a Bengal it is just the tip of the hair that is reflective. It makes it look like the Bengal is sprinkled with glitter as opposed to just having a shiny coat.

Thats what I gather from the glitter I see on Coco but the Bengal experts may say differently.

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

My understanding is that what is referred to as "glitter" with the Bengal breed is unique to that breed. I think what makes it different from the what might be seen on other breeds is that on a Bengal it is just the tip of the hair that is reflective. It makes it look like the Bengal is sprinkled with glitter as opposed to just having a shiny coat.

Thats what I gather from the glitter I see on Coco but the Bengal experts may say differently.
Is the "glitter" on a bengal sort of like the frosting on a blue cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
:Glitter isn't exclusive to the Bengal breed, but to my knowledge, they are the only breed that selectively breeds for the trait. I would trust a Bengal person's eye over anybody else in this matter.

Glitter was introduced into the breed by the Millwood cats that would serve both as foundations for the Bengal breed and the source of the Indian lines in the Egyptian Mau breed. We've had entire litters of glittered Maus, so it still crops up. I'm actually hoping that Niles will throw glitter, since he traces back to those Millwood cats
. Recessives are forever!

The cat in question has a completely unknown pedigree.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CalicoPrincess

Is the "glitter" on a bengal sort of like the frosting on a blue cat?

Hopefully someone in the know will be along soon...

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FerrisCat

:Glitter was introduced into the breed by the Millwood cats that would serve both as foundations for the Bengal breed and the source of the Indian lines in the Egyptian Mau breed. We've had entire litters of glittered Maus, so it still crops up. I'm actually hoping that Niles will throw glitter, since he traces back to those Millwood cats
. Recessives are forever!

The cat in question has a completely unknown pedigree.
My Bengal is loaded with glitter. I don't know if it has to do with Millwood cats. Zoey's grandpa is Millwood Xclaim. All I know about Glitter is that it's very pretty!!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some have mentioned that in some of Charlie's pictures he looks like he has glitter. But its not. I've seen the Bengal glitter (in pictures) and in person and its different.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glitter is very hard to photograph and it just doesn't show up well enough on the photo there to judge really. It sounds like it could be glitter though and I know it isn't confined to the bengal breed, more like has been mentioned that it's only selectively bred for there.

Here's my best glitter photo of Nikita:

You can see it's not just the coat being shiny, it actually pretty much sparkles as well.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siggav

Glitter is very hard to photograph and it just doesn't show up well enough on the photo there to judge really. It sounds like it could be glitter though and I know it isn't confined to the bengal breed, more like has been mentioned that it's only selectively bred for there.

Here's my best glitter photo of Nikita:

You can see it's not just the coat being shiny, it actually pretty much sparkles as well.
Beautiful Picture of Nikita!!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Siggav, I showed the owner that picture of Nikita. I still am amazed at how nicely you caputed the glitter

Since this cat is a cream and white, I wonder if it makes it harder to tell. The owner has described the cat as sparkling as well. It's so hard to determine these things based on a photo. . .

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Bengal glitter is very different from others (or so I've been told
). Toygers have the same glitter, that obviously comes directly from bengals which were used when toyger-breed was developed.
I have a secret crush on silver bengals and silver/white toygers..

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a bit harder to tell with a paler coat. However then the sparkle tends to look like snow frosting, like how snow and frost can sparkle in sunlight rather than the gold dust effect on the darker cats.

It could very well be that the cat is glittered, it's just extremely hard to show it on the internet in photos! heh.. it took me hours to get that one and I had direct but angled sunlight shining through which tends to show it the best

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Love those Nikita glitter photos. Great job Siggav!

Here's an interesting read on Glitter, Satin and Grizzle:

http://www.messybeast.com/satin-glitter.htm
Very good article. I recently joined the gene-pool yahoo group and that guy working with Tennessee Rexs is very devoted. I visited the website and I must say I hope this is a breed that continues and eventually makes full recognition in registries.

Echolane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
DFDBA6E0-07B1-4F54-8F42-2BFB84791EBA.jpeg
7FBF64ED-A4E0-4B5D-B8B9-A47BCF0016F0.jpeg
My cat Gemini is lying in late afternoon sun and her coat is alive with sparkles almost everywhere! She is a solid brown cat and it makes her hairs look very silvery. Ot maybe like they've become colorless and are lit up with brilliant sparkle.

I did an internet search in the past and it suggests this characteristic is called “glitter”. I’ve written about this before, but I find it so amazing I can’t resist mentioning it again. Gem and her brother Timo were found abandoned on a street at less than one week of age, so it’s unlikely they have much pure blood. They were farmed out by our local SPCA to be fostered by humans who did round the clock feeding until they could eat on their own. The brother is a ticked gray. The only unusual characteristics are that they are really long bodied. I call them my Dachsund cats. And the brown cat has an ultra (ultra!) soft coat.

The photo doesn’t do the glitter justice but the bright areas are alight with a very strong glitter. The male glitters too, but not to the degree of his sister.

Here’s a photo of them both. Gem liked to stretch out like this. Timo likes to look regal. Oops, the photo appears above rather than here. Oh well, I guess I don’t that part figured out.

hortusgirlii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Very good article. I recently joined the gene-pool yahoo group and that guy working with Tennessee Rexs is very devoted. I visited the website and I must say I hope this is a breed that continues and eventually makes full recognition in registries.
Tennessee Rex breed has been active again for about 6 yrs, and is now PNB poised for ANB

Attachments