Glaucoma

Caoimhe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We went to the vet with my mother's cat today as his left eye has been acting up with a dilated pupil. It turns out that he has glaucoma in his eye. The eye pressure was 90 mm Hg, whereas the normal pressure is somewhere around 10-20 mm Hg. Blood tests ruled out FeLV, FIP, FIV etc, but we are waiting for some more results in a few days. He is also getting pain meds, of course, as well as a couple of different eye drops in a desperate attempt to save the eye.
The vet mentioned that sometimes, the glaucoma can come to affect the healthy eye as well in a few months.

There is the option of having the eye removed if it doesn't get better, as it probably causes him pain. Now, removing one eye would be okay, if only there was a big chance that the other eye DOES NOT become affected. We don't want to put him through the pain and hardships of eye removal only for his other eye to get sick soon after. Of course, it's one thing if it takes years before his healthy eye is affected, but if it only takes a few months, then it wouldn't be worth it. This is an outdoor cat that is used to coming and going as he likes, and, frankly, in this case it is not an option to have a completely blind cat.

So, I'm curious to hear of other's experience with feline glaucoma. Has it stayed in just one eye, or did both eyes get affected? If the latter, how long time passed before the healthy eye turned bad? Did you ever get to know the underlying cause of the glaucoma?

Edit: I should probably also add that we don't know for sure how old he is. He came to my mom after his previous owner died, and they had not had him as a kitten. We have been guessing/estimating his age to be around eight or nine at this point, but he could definitely be older as well.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have no personal experience with this, but am not sure that because one eye is involved that it is a almost near certainty that it will involve the other eye. I don't know if in Sweden there are cat ophthalmologists, but if there are I would recommend you make an appointment with one. Not only are there meds to lower the pressure in the eye with glaucoma to reduce the chance of blindness/salvage vision - as it would seem you might already be getting - there are also precautions/treatments to help prevent the other eye from being affected.

The key is if the other eye can be protected, and the currently affected eye has to be removed, the cat may still have one good eye. I think a vet ophthalmologist would in the best position to determine the possible course(s) of action. I hope you can find one.

I also hope other members on this site who have personal experience can offer their input/insight. Some times it takes a while for members to be able to log on and look through posts, so please be patient and check back often for new responses.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll ask our eye surgeon Tues. Far as I know if integrity of other eye is/was good often there's just something that one eye could not sustain. some say all genes others say injury/blunt trauma or 2ndary disease. the question is; what's the possiblities of that 2ndary diseases?

sueb696

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, our cat (13 yrs old) was diagnosed with glaucoma about 2 1/2 years ago. From what we were told, glaucoma is usually a secondary issue to another underlying problem in cats, but our cat seems to have no other health issues. We have been administering drops 2x per day . We bring him every six months for a pressure test and both eyes are normal. We were also told that the good eye could also be affected but luckily this has not been the case yet. If his glaucoma can no longer be treated with drops, I would not hesitate to have it removed, as the pressure is so very painful. Good luck with your kitty!

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sue, TY very much. So far she's adjusted to her l eye only & eats well unlike prior to removal when she was in pain.
She gets her 6 mos. followup to test pressure in l eye then. In her case it was a sharp cut (doc thinks another cat did it to her) thus no worry yet re inherited but rather a sharp trauma. Either way, blunt or sharp, she lost her eye & this still bothers me .