Glass stovetop cleaning tip

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I was on Pinterest this morning and came across this. If you have a glass stove top that is dirty and you've tried everything else to keep it clean....

Drizzle some Dawn dishwashing liquid on the glass top. Then sprinkle baking soda on top of the Dawn. Then drizzle hydrogen peroxide on top of that. Take a brush and get to work, rubbing with the brush and mixing it all together. Give it a good rubbing for at least five minutes. And then wipe down.

Hint: It took a while to completely wipe the glass top down, with all that Dawn!

And....it works! It really works! This is quite possibly the shiniest my glass top has looked in a long time. Even Dear Richard was impressed! Had I known that it would actually work that well, I would have taken before and after pictures!

Try it!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have done that before and it never worked for me. Maybe I didn't get the amounts right. My stove top isn't all that dirty but when I do get dried stuff on it, I have cleaner specifically for glass stovetops or I use a brillo pad with a very light hand.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I use glass top cleaner and a scotch bright pad on the caked spots and then rub with a paper towel. I also take a butter knife and gently scrape anything left over after that. Usually only take a couple minutes and if you do it once a week a pretty easy job. Two things really help keep your cooktop clean. Wipe up spills, of course, but also make sure that when you wash your cookware that you clean the bottom on your pans really well. It’s usually bottom of the pan gunk that gets burned into the burners.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use peroxide and baking soda on pans and baking dishes that get gunked up. It works well! I might need to try on a few little spots on my stove top. I've had a few pots boil over and of course you can't wipe down a burner in use with all that starchy water on it! :doh:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I use the detergent/baking soda thing but not the peroxide.. I'll give it a go. :)
The amount you cook Winchester Winchester , I'd say this is very exciting. :lol:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so happy to have the kind of stove that I do that I clean it with kitchen cleaner after each use.When I have a stubborn spot,I just let the cleaner set for awhile.A couple of times I've gotten after it with bio clean an d that takes care of it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I wipe it down with a damp cloth every day and use a special cleaner and a razor blade once every week or two. Our 19-year-old glass top still looks like new.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think that would work well for a gas stove top? The area around the burners and the covers are an absolute mess. I have even used industrial grease/grime remover that you use for tools and such...
Some of the not nice areas are because I think they just need to be re-glazed or whatever finish is on it, but I have spent an entire day trying to get my stove top clean. Where I would let stuff sit, then scrub, then clean and do the process all over again, and letting the burner covers soak in my sink for hours..and I just can't seem to get all the grime off.

I love cooking on/in a gas stove/oven...but the maintenance is a pain in the butt!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jem Jem Jem Jem , have you tried Easy Off?
I have before, I can't remember why I don't use it....it might just be because I don't have any and haven't thought of buying any more...thanks for reminding me. I'll try it again and see how it does.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
@Easy Off would work well, I'm thinking. Barkeeper's Friend?