Giving Vitamin B12 Shots

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not sure if you are still having some trouble, but we had a perfect, jump-free and trouble-free injection near the scruff this morning! We couldn't do it last night because Trin ran away when he felt the poke, so we thought we would wait until his calmest, most serene moment, which is between us in bed right when we wake up. We woke up, cuddled him from either side, and the needle went in seamlessly and he didn't even notice.

Is there a time when your kitty is happiest? Sunbathing, or during naptime? I really recommend picking the right moment, no matter where you inject. I was surprised how great it worked! (to be fair, it probably helped that my boyfriend was too sleepy to be really nerved about when he stabbed him. He gets so anxious I'm sure it affects Trin).
Today is the day, actually, as I haven't done a shot since before posting this. He has a very relaxing spot that's hard to reach, so I'm hoping maybe I can get him to spread out on the couch tonight and give him a shot like that. For the meantime we're switching to oral B12, although if I find a good way to inject I'll do that. He's definitely been livelier since he's been getting them so I want him to stay feeling well.

Congrats on your successful injection. It makes me feel like maybe there's a little hope if yours went ok.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
KarenKat KarenKat

Oh my goodness. Last night I tried to give him a shot when he was calm. As soon as I started trying to tent he thought we were playing and started gnawing on my arm. Then stole the syringe cap and ran off with it. I'm going to try again one day! But maybe not right now, ha ha.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow! Sorry, r-kins r-kins , I did not expect that reaction! It would be funny and cute if you didn't have to worry about trying all over again! Cats are little furdevils, lol.

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! It depends on the type of b12 and the preservatives in it. I have pernicious anemia and if I inject hydroxocobalamin I cannot handle the pain. I've noticed cyanocobalamin and methylcobalamin dont sting at all. I've even tested his vial on myself and it didnt sting. He just doesnt like the needle even though it's a diabetic one

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was inspired to give my kitty a B-12 shot after reading this thread. She’s likely squirting through her stores with a clostridium infection. :(

I have seen a video of a vet or tech who gave the shot going from the front. I have tried both. They both make Krista jump when the plunger is pushed. The only time she jumps when the needle is inserted is if I don’t have a good tent. But yes, the jumping when the plunger is pushed has left me with a wet cat a few times and much doubt whether any of it made it in her. This morning, I only had a slightly damp cat. I think that’s acceptable leakage.

:crossfingers: that her poops firm up again soon. (I’m also giving her saccharomyces boulardii and we finished a course of metro. Likely in between courses now but she needs a gut rest before another course.)

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was inspired to give my kitty a B-12 shot after reading this thread. She’s likely squirting through her stores with a clostridium infection. :(

I have seen a video of a vet or tech who gave the shot going from the front. I have tried both. They both make Krista jump when the plunger is pushed. The only time she jumps when the needle is inserted is if I don’t have a good tent. But yes, the jumping when the plunger is pushed has left me with a wet cat a few times and much doubt whether any of it made it in her. This morning, I only had a slightly damp cat. I think that’s acceptable leakage.

:crossfingers: that her poops firm up again soon. (I’m also giving her saccharomyces boulardii and we finished a course of metro. Likely in between courses now but she needs a gut rest before another course.)
Do you have rx Clay? I fill a size 1 capsule and give it twice a day and it always gets rid of my kitty's diarrhea

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have rx Clay? I fill a size 1 capsule and give it twice a day and it always gets rid of my kitty's diarrhea
Clostridium is far more stubborn than occasional diarrhea. She finished a course of metro but it didn’t solve it. Now I have to give her stomach a rest because her eating went way down on metro. Fortunately she likes the saccharomyces boulardii that’s supposed to be helpful against this. So everything else I might want her to try gets folded into a small food portion underneath a pile of yeast.

Do you pill your cat with the clay capsules you make or do you simply toss the capsule into the food and let kitty chew through it? I pill her every other day for mirtazapine and that’s about the limit of pilling for the both of us.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Just a reminder that the topic of this thread is B-12 shots. :) Can we stay on topic please?