Giving Liquid Meds

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have good ideas on an easy way to give oral meds with a syringe besides wrapping kitty like a burrito? Greta does NOT like oral liquid meds and I'm afraid when I'm trying to get her mouth open I'll hurt her. She has long black hair around her mouth so it's hard to find in the first place. Then if I do succeed she'll run from me everytime I'm around because she thinks it's syringe time again. I'm thinking of just telling our vet that I can't do liquid meds. Any good ideas?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have had success with giving Feeby liquid meds with either canned tuna or chicken in water. I use just enough of the 'juice' to mix with the meds, let her lap it up, and then I give her a piece of the tuna or chicken as a treat afterward. If neither of those work, you can also try baby food meats (no onion, garlic, etc.) and mix the meds with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately the vet said that I can't put the meds in food. The med is buprenex, a pain med. Her prescription laxative is liquid too and I'm trying to mix that one in food. First try she didn't eat the food but I have a couple other ideas on that one. After reading your idea, I may try to put the laxative in some tuna water (she's on a prescription diet for kidney disease but I think it might work). Thanks for your thoughts:)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Burprenex only works when absorbed by the gums. Can you just slip the tip of the syringe just into the mouth pointing down and squirt the medicine onto the gums? Can someone help hold the cat for you? There is an injectable form of buprenex your vet can give but I'm not sure if the vet can give you a few syringes to inject at home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to see if my hubby can help me with it when he gets home tonight. The idea of an injectable form sounds worth a try. I may ask my vet about that if we can't do the oral. Greta is a long hair tortie with black hair all around her mouth. And my eyesight on anything dark is not very good so between the two I can't even see her mouth:frown: By the time my fingers finally find it she's freaking out and ready to run.:sigh: But i appreciate your info and will figure out something by hook or crook. Thanks much!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I actually prefer liquid meds in a syringe. You have to act quickly because if you hesitate the cat will know something's up. I always come from behind the cat, crouch down, hold him between my legs and promptly place the tip of the syringe in his mouth. I have to admit I've had a lot of practice with this method but it's what works best for me. Good luck!