Giving a Wedding Toast (please help with ideas)

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My niece is getting married soon, she's the only daughter of my sister who passed away. I will be giving a toast at the wedding and could really use some help or any ideas how to do it.

Before my sister died, she asked me to give / say a particular quotation for her at her daughter's wedding. I know I will start crying - how do I stand up and deliver a message from her, especially now that she's gone, without blubbering all over the place? 

The wedding will be bittersweet enough, my poor niece posted on facebook how tough it was to get her dress fitting without her mother there. (She and her mom picked out the dress together.) Everyone at the wedding knew and loved my sister, we'll all be thinking how we wish she could be there.

So… how do I present the quotation? It seems saying it once would go by too fast, especially if I'm crying while trying to say it. Should I get it printed on a board or something and hold it up, give everyone a visual? I though maybe have it printed on two wine glasses, one line per glass, but then it's always so sad when they get broken. 

I asked my niece if she wants the quotation before the wedding, maybe print it on the napkins or whatever, but she said no, she would wait.

Any ideas, any tips?

p.s. My husband told me to stop fighting and "embrace the blubbering." lol

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
EVERYONE would understand if you blubber, it will be very emotional. I think that is a wonderful idea to maybe print it out on a beautiful poster, with some pictures attached, even better a video with the quote in writing that you could read to the family ( if you can) along with pictures. The only way to 'stem' your emotions would be to practice the quote often until you feel comfortable. But I know the emotions are going to be high, my heart goes out to you and your niece. You have both lost a very loved and special person in your life, I hope you can take comfort in your memories and know she'll be with you in spirit. I wish you both every happiness on that special day.

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Is the quote suitable for framing? I wonder if you could get it printed up nice and present it in a nice frame to the bride and groom?

I think everyone will understand the blubbering. :hugs: Her absence will be a big elephant in the room and it's probably best to acknowledge it and embrace it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, guys. I do agree I need to have it printed on something. Here's the quotation by Lao Tzu:

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.

I don't know what else to say, how to introduce it, nothing.  I feel this is so important, a message from her mother on her wedding day… I normally don't have problems thinking what to do, but this is so emotional I can't really think straight.

Thanks for the encouraging words.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

Thanks, guys. I do agree I need to have it printed on something. Here's the quotation by Lao Tzu:

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.

I don't know what else to say, how to introduce it, nothing.  I feel this is so important, a message from her mother on her wedding day… I normally don't have problems thinking what to do, but this is so emotional I can't really think straight.

Thanks for the encouraging words.
Short, dignified, yet still meaningful, is the best way of delivering a toast. I love the quote!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
That's a really lovely quote. :heart2: Maybe you can introduce it as a wedding gift from her mother?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: okay, so I'm going to wimp out and not give a toast. I just don't want to be dreading it half the night. 

But my niece is still getting the quotation; I decided to have it engraved on a picture frame. She can decide if she wants a wedding photo in it, or a picture of her mom.
 Meanwhile, I plan to relax at the wedding and enjoy some wine at the reception. 

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
It's OK to wimp out if you are that uncomfortable with it. I'm sure your niece and sister would want you to enjoy the day and not be stressed out. :hugs: