Gives me a little hope in the midst of all this insanity 9.1 million views..if they only each gave a $1 to a local shelter

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The society posted a video of Jerry, who was surrendered on Dec. 22, 2022, on TikTok that started with a letter titled, "TOO AFFECTIONATE!" in all caps and in blue.

A four-year-old cat named Jerry was surrendered to the Humane Society of Broward County in Florida on Dec. 22, 2022 for being too affectionate.

A four-year-old cat named Jerry was surrendered to the Humane Society of Broward County in Florida on Dec. 22, 2022 for being "too affectionate." (Humane Society of Broward County)
"Yup that’s the reason my owner turned me in," the letter read. "She said that I annoyed her and how sweet and affectionate I was. It was too much for her. She said I waited at the door for her and talked too much. I loved her, but she didn’t love me back.

ADOPTING A CAT: HANNAH SHAW OF ‘KITTEN LADY’ ANSWERS IMPORTANT PET CARE QUESTIONS

"I’m hoping somebody will love me for who I am," the letter ended and was signed, "Jerry."
At the bottom of the letter, there was a P.S. that read, "I’ve been waiting a long time for a home," with a frowny face emoji.
The video was watched 9.1 million times, as of Sunday evening, was liked 1.6 million times and had nearly 30,000 comments.

@humanebroward
Too affectionate 💔 That’s the reason 4-year-old Jerry was given-up. Jerry is a sweet cat that loves to be pet and rub up against you, but his former owner said it annoyed her too much. Jerry loved her, but she didn’t love him back, so she turned him in to our shelter. Now he’s heartbroken and confused. He’s hoping that someone will love him for who he is - a lovebug! Will you make Jerry your Valentine this year? ❤ #cat #catrescue #adoptme #catsoftiktok #foryoupage#adoptacat #fyp #foryou
♬ original sound - Humane Society Broward County
The TikTok video was put to the organization’s page on Jan. 26, and the next day there were four families waiting at the shelter in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, ready to meet the 4-year-old black and white domestic short haired cat.
"His new mom saw his video on our social media pages and was here first thing when we opened the next day," a representative from the society said on Sunday.
CALIFORNIA PET STORE BANS SECOND AMENDMENT SUPPORTERS FROM ADOPTING ANIMALS, FACES BACKLASH

By 2:45 p.m., the society updated everyone who reached out from across the country, saying Jerry was adopted.
"Sweet Jerry has found a loving forever home where he can be as affectionate as he wants," the Humane Society said in a new post. "Thanks to all of the shares on social media, Jerry’s video was seen by just the right person, and she ran to the shelter first thing this morning to adopt him. We couldn't have done this without you all."
The shelter had a trio of 2-year-old brothers who were bonded but surrendered because the elderly owner could no longer take care of them. Instead, the shelter said, the owner wanted the three brothers to have a life where they could be spoiled

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This sounds a bit like my orange marmalade boy. He was on the street three times, yet he's the most loving, sweetest cat. The video the shelter posted of him getting chin scritches convinced me, even though we were thinking about finding a younger cat after Poppycat left us.

He is home 💕😻💕

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If only everyone with a great heart would adopt! Maybe more will be moved by that story! I know sometimes we “just see” that cat that calls to our heart. The timing is “just right!” I am so glad that kitty found the timing and the heart! I am so glad that your fur baby found his “just right” too Furballsmom Furballsmom . It does make the world better. For them and for us! :hugs:
The pet store. Such a close call for them and such a tragic story for that woman’s sister. Sad that any creature should have to live with any kind of fear from humans. There are a lot of great hearts still out here! May the great hearts outnumber and bring about healing for all.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This sounds a bit like my orange marmalade boy. He was on the street three times, yet he's the most loving, sweetest cat. The video the shelter posted of him getting chin scritches convinced me, even though we were thinking about finding a younger cat after Poppycat left us.

He is home 💕😻💕
I've heard that orange marmalades are the sweetest cats ever. My Roger was an orange marmalade and he was the sweetest of all of my cats. Not the brightest but the sweetest.

TRUDY1,

That's a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing it with us. Hopefully it will help a lot of cats get adopted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If only everyone with a great heart would adopt! Maybe more will be moved by that story! I know sometimes we “just see” that cat that calls to our heart. The timing is “just right!” I am so glad that kitty found the timing and the heart! I am so glad that your fur baby found his “just right” too Furballsmom Furballsmom . It does make the world better. For them and for us! :hugs:
The pet store. Such a close call for them and such a tragic story for that woman’s sister. Sad that any creature should have to live with any kind of fear from humans. There are a lot of great hearts still out here! May the great hearts outnumber and bring about healing for all.
Yes, our local shelters do such a great job. All are no kill and do the heart breaking job of rescues in all types of situations. But their shelters are full, they receive NO government support in spite of the fact it saves counties and cities vast amounts of money, local vets do nothing to promote s/n unless you have a few hundred dollars and we are known as the puppy mill capital of the USA!
GOD bless those volunteers that combat this 24/7!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So true. If, as you said, every person had given a dollar… My Dad has often said to me that ,” Why should I carry the burden of rescues and that if everyone gave a dollar, the rescues would be helped.” The fact is that most people never think about it that way. A dollar may not seem like much but those dollars would help all the kitties and animals there. The shelter in our counties struggle too. I would have struggled more without their help and I do what I can to give back. Definitely hope that everyone who helps and makes sacrifices to do so is greatly blessed. My whole heart is always with all who take in one or many. I ask for their protection and give my gratitude along with anything I can muster. Relaying information like what you posted counts! Get the word out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, we carry that burden but with the realization that we have been entrusted with their care…all living creatures…and ultimately they are our responsibility.

someday all of us will realize that ….it’s just unfortunate that so many innocent souls , both animals and humans, have to suffer until we do