Giveaway! Win a FREE copy of "Makin' Biscuits"!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ENTRY

Speedboat was the best lap cat I ever had. He didn't give up my lap for anything or anybody. The other cats knew it too.

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
ENTRY

Before I realized how dangerous outdoor living could be for a cat, I allowed my rainbow cat Welsey to go out when he requested.   We lived in a townhouse community and he never went very far, returning as soon as I called him.  Our second year there, he stopped returning when called and eventually came home smelling of perfume.  It didn't take me long to figure out that he'd conned the elderly woman next door into feeding him, by presenting himself at her front door and meowing.  She adored him and introduced him to the delights of ham, warmed to just the right temperature in the microwave.   It was obvious that they loved each other so I decided to let Wesley continue his visits.  Once or twice a day, he would go to our front door and meow, I would let him out, and he would trot over to her door and start meowing again.  Within minutes, the door opened and in he'd go with a flick of his black tail.  Several times, she asked if he could spend the night, which he did quite happily.

When it came time for me to move, my neighbor came over with a couple of packages of sliced ham so he wouldn't go without.  Of course, he went through the ham in no time and subsequently developed a taste for other items, including potato chips, triscuits, lettuce with salad dressing on it and...paperback book covers.  He really loved paperback book covers, but only the corners.   He'd go from book to book and pull them off the shelf and lie down for a tasty treat.  Once the corners were chewed off, he'd pull down another book.  I started investing in ham, much to his delight.  Unfortunately he never did stop eating my books. 

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ENTRY

One day many years ago I was going for a walk and encountered a neighbor whom I hadn't met before.  Our green belt goes right behind her house, and she had planted some trees in it and was out tending them.  We got to talking, and eventually (all right, almost immediately) the subject of our cats came up.

Her cat was a formerly feral tom that she'd rescued.  He was starving and in serious need of medical care when she rescued him, and she had tenderly nursed him back to health, so he was extremely devoted to her.  He was an indoor/outdoor cat.

One day when he was outside, this woman was visited by some missionaries, trying to convert her to their particular denomination.  She didn't invite them in, but she was too polite to simply tell them that she was uninterested and they should go away and leave her alone, and they were disinclined to take a hint.  So they kept her standing on her doorstep for nearly an hour, preaching at her (I'm sure that's not how they would have characterized it), while she kept trying to find a polite way to tell them to get lost, and her feet, legs, and back became progressively more painful.

Fortunately for her, cats don't worry about human niceties like being polite to annoying people.  Her cat was hiding in the shrubbery near her front door, and he could tell that she wasn't happy about these people.  And as she became less and less happy about it, he became more and more impatient with waiting for her to kick the interlopers out, so he finally decided to take matters into his own claws.  He leaped out of the bushes, a whirlwind of claws and teeth, and attacked them quite viciously as my neighbor tried to calm him.  (Halfheartedly, perhaps, but she did try.)  The missionaries suddenly decided that it was time to go to the next house (before they incurred any serious injuries), and the cat gave off attacking them as soon as they started to leave, opting instead to come inside and comfort his human.

Ever since, when missionaries come to the neighborhood, this woman sees them coming down the street, and after they call on the house next to hers they cross the street to bypass her house.  They don't want to get anywhere near her cat.

Margret

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
***ENTRY***

Our beloved little Birman beauty Tashi was sweet and saucy, and I know she loved us all, but she had a special "thing" for my then-husband, who always used to say she was Mae West cat because of her personality and the way she sashayed her fluffy hips and tail. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
The giveaway is now officially closed for new entries. I will be announcing the winners soon, so stay tuned!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

ENTRY

Boris would get a little nutty when we played with a string toy.   He would run up and down and around the cat tree, then start hopping around, starting and ending in a crouch.  Then he would attack the scratching post, biting it while rolling his eyes back to look at me, as if to say, "See how tough I am?"  Then he would continue chasing the string toy.  He kept me entertained!

ENTRY:   Here's one last story about Milo.  He liked chewing the ends off the leaves of my houseplants and knowing  this, it was dumb of me to put a fern on the floor while cleaning the top of the bookcase where it usually sat.  Milo was there in a shot. I told him NO, finished cleaning and put it back on top of the bookcase which was about 4 feet high.  Milo had never paid any attention to it before but to be on the safe side, I had covered the rest of the surface with various knickknacks.  For the rest of the day, I noticed him periodically staring up at the plant with what I could have sworn was a speculative look in his eyes.  Night came and we went to bed, Milo in his usual spot beside me.  About 20 minutes after I'd fallen asleep, my sleep was shattered by a tremendous CRASH!!  I sat bolt upright in bed with my heart pounding only to see Milo sitting on top of the bookshelf and the plant and its pot in pieces on the floor.  It's the only time I've ever seen a cat really look guilty.  He knew he'd been Bad.  However, he looked so darn cute sitting up there all wide eyed and afraid he was about to get a scolding that I didn't have the heart to actually give him one.   He did learn his lesson though. He never went after that plant again.  

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bravo Margd and Boris Diiamond!!
 I have enjoyed your stories.  MILO looks a lot like my Cucumella and sounds  just as  naughty.

Last edited:

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
Congrats!!  I have loved reading all the stories and seeing all the pictures!!

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks again for all the congratulations!  My copy arrived on Christmas eve.  Very nice!  It is personally inscribed and signed by the author and included a nifty "Makin' Biscuits" bookmark!  I'm looking forward to getting started!