Giveaway: Free Lucky Cat Gift Set

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Entry

Cats and Luck.

Mr. Amber Cat, my first cat ever, was getting a bit tubby.  My vet suggested getting a playmate for him.  So one Saturday in October, I went to the local shelter, and explained why I was there.  The woman said usually the second cat in a home is opposite sex, and she had just the one for me.  She showed me a little mackerel tabby kitten.  She explained this one had been there for some time (she was about 5 months old) and was showing signs of kennel depression.  She suspected the vet would be putting her down, next time he saw her.  I immediately signed the adoption papers.

On the drive home, I explained that she was going to have a job, that she would have to keep the other cat active.  I think she took me seriously!  I don't name my pets right away, I like to see the personality.  Over the next day and half, it was clear that this little one was going to bring some sparkle into my life!  So Sparkle became her name.

Sparkle instantly took to teasing Amber, batting him on the rump and dashing off, through my apartment.  She was small enough that she could scramble under a dresser and some other furniture; Amber was too big being adult sized.  She was never frightened, she clearly enjoyed outsmarting him.  Amber did lose weight.

My apartment was a 3rd floor walk up, with a balcony.  I bought a panel to put in the slider so the 2 cats could get out on the balcony.  My vet said it was unlikely they would jump off that high.  Amber loved being out on the balcony; other residents would say they knew they had arrived home when they would walk up the path and see Amber gazing down at them from my balcony.  Sparkle would make me crazy, balancing on the top railing, walking all around.  I bought one of those posts and hung a bird feeder, and that kept the 2 cats entertained all winter.  Once the good weather arrived, the panel went back in the slider so the cats would be able to enjoy their balcony again.  That year, Sparkle caught a bird and brought it in through the pet door THREE different times!  It was crazy, as she would release the bird in my apartment.  The bird would take off, with 2 cats in pursuit, and me rushing behind grabbing lamps, picture frames, vases and such, before they landed on the floor and smashed.  Eventually I would catch the rear most cat, put it in a bedroom, close the door and resume the chase.  Second cat would go in the bedroom and I could take a breather while I figured out what to do about the bird.  I am happy to say that all 3 survived, although 2 had to go to the wildlife vet for help before being released.    I removed the bird feeder, and only put it out in winter.  Sparkle lived with me for 17 years.   In the photo, she is in Santa's lap, far left.  Oh and those 4 plush toys are ours, I took those in for the photo shoot.

View media item 410884

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
ENTRY

Rocket was born in a feral/hoarder situation. She didn't have any human contact; just a woman who looked out her window to watch the kittens play and put out food for them. The woman made a few comments that Rocket must be Links kitten because of their coloring being so close. We made it clear that Link was neutered but the woman seemed to have it set in her head. My Mom made an off hand remark that Rocket was a very pretty kitten and her favorite of the 12 kittens roaming around that time. But there was no intent to get her and the woman was loath to let anyone take any of the kittens because they were "hers" and so cute. 

Rocket's mom vanished as did the other momma cat when the kittens were 5-6 weeks old. At that point the two year old boys who lived in that yard took over the kittens care. Leading the little kittens around like ducklings and herding back the ones who tried to wander off. I had never seen anything like it and probably wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it myself. But the boys took good care of the kittens; well as best they could. In the weeks that followed the kittens slowly started to disappear from 12 original to 6 by the time Rocket was 3-4 months old. 

At that point our neighbor decided that the kittens had passed the cute phase and made a half hearted attempt to catch the kittens. She put a dog crate on the porch and food in the crate. One day she managed to catch one of the older boys and Rocket. She came to our front door with Rocket in the crate still and told me she had the kitten my Mom wanted. I didn't think my Mom actually wanted a kitten but took the little one in anyways. 

I put Rocket in the bathroom and waited. When my Mom got home an hour later the bathroom stunk from Rocket being in there. Not because she went potty but simply because she just stunk. So we gave Rocket a bath and dried her off and decided what to do next. My Mom talked to the neighbor who said that if my Mom had changed her mind then she would take Rocket back and she could live in her yard. Since no cat seemed to last more than two years in that yard it wasn't an option. 

We didn't want to upset the balance in the house so we started socializing the Rocket who was feral at that point (hissing, skittish and hiding at us). Exactly one week after we took in Rocket there was a crazy heat wave (104F and dry) and in the middle of a drought so no standing water outside. The neighbor never put out water for the cats/kittens, just food. All the kittens perished in that heat wave except for one who made his way to a different neighbors house and she started caring for him. Two months later started looking for a home. We actually found a home for Rocket and I was set to drive her to the new home. But when the time came to go I just couldn't bring myself to do it. So I called the new home and told them that we just couldn't part with her. 

I bet you are getting to this point and thinking that Rocket is the lucky one in this story.

She's not. 

Link and Nightfury are. Our other two cats coexisting in our home up to that point. No major problems but Link would sometimes annoy Nightfury with his high energy while Nightfury wanted to cuddle and Link wanted none of it. Rocket filled this gap in our household that we didn't even realize existed. She is the little sister both the boys need in their lives. She is Links play buddy. Nightfurys cuddle buddy. She follows them around and looks to them for guidance. Nightfury brings her crickets and lizards and watches her play with them. Link runs to protect her at the slightest cry. The boys both dote on her and protect her. She just fits in a way I couldn't have imagined. She fills the space between them and turned two cats sharing a home into a pride. 

janemulhall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ENTRY.  My husband and I are very lucky to have found our cat Bosco, and so is he.  We moved to a new state and at that time, he was an outside cat.  He got lost the first week.  We  knocked on every ones doors in a 5 block radius and pinned up lost posters.  A week had gone by and we thought he was gone forever.  After the first week had passed we took a casual stroll up and down the blocks calling Bosco's name. My husband saw a cat on a door mat in front of a house 3 doors down from our home that looked like Bosco.  I said it wasn't him - he was too skinny and too dirty.  But, he insisted, so I went over and called his name and the cat came right over to me.  It WAS Bosco!!!  We are all SO lucky to have gotten him back.  We had cried every night together when he was lost.  Best luck ever!

camillel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ENTRY!  My Tigger is lucky because she was left at the vet by her previous owner after being sick. And I was lucky to walk in that day and adopt her. She is my skittish one. Doorbell rings she runs and hide. But, when she is in the mood She will sit next to me and we have a whole conversation. She tells me what Salem and Sam have done to her all day. David laughs at us but does think it is cute. YES you can have a conversation with a cat

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*ENTRY* 

In one of our former homes, there were many "community" cats.  Over the years we worked hard to gain the trust of the matriarch and her many progeny, getting everyone spayed/neutered, vetted, and adopted if tiny kittens, or back with us if they were deemed less adoptable.  One of the latter was a handsome longhaired smokey-colored guy with a white undercoat, who joined our barn compound clowder when we moved up to the Mojave.  I would go into the compound, which was completely secured and safe, and play with the cats with interactive toys such as da Bird.  Bobby loved this toy so much!  He went "airborne" for it, at times almost as high as my head. 

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ENTRY

Having Foxy come into my life was both lucky and bittersweet. This past August, we had to put our cat Feeny down since she was suffering the end stage of kidney failure.  I didn't think we'd be ready for another cat anytime too soon, but as we just said goodbye to Feeny, in the lobby of the vets office there was this tiny 10 week old kitten all alone in this big cage.  It turns out her and her littermates were found on the street and someone brought them in to be adopted. Well, her 6 siblings had been adopted already and after interacting with her for a bit, you can guess what happened next... we asked them to put her on hold and decided to take a day to think about it.  Everyone in the house was on board so we came back the next day for her.  From the moment we took her home she formed a strong attachment to me.  She greets me at the door every day when I get home from work and will then follow me around the house for the rest of the day.  When I have to shut her out of a room, she will cry until I open the door.  She cries when she wants me to play with her and will chase me around and grab my leg often when she's in a playful mood.  She is entertaining and hilarious. And an awesome soccer goalie- nothing gets past her! 

View media item 394293

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ENTRY

Ruby is a lucky cat because she was rescued pregnant and got to raise her babies in a great foster home. Now she is starting to get a bit chubby from living the high life in our home. 

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ENTRY
Mickey is a lucky cat cuz he decided to love up on John when he was a street kitty and now he lives with us.

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ENTRY

My senior cat is lucky. He got adopted in his old age and has a nice home to live his retirement years in.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ENTRY

Lilith. Her majesty. My little queen. My sweetheart. 

She's a diva. She's the queen of the house. She's 5 pounds soaking wet. She suffers no fools and puts up with no nonsense from anyone. She also knows when I am upset or don't feel well and glues herself to my side. She will stroke my arm with her little paw to make me feel better. She's very vocal and when she wants to, she sounds like a toddler girl. She calls me. The other night, I knew she was looking for me because I heard her call MAMA from the living room. Yes, she can say a few words or what I think sounds like words. She soaks up praise like a sponge. She loves it when I tell her how pretty she is, how sweet and what a good friend she is. She keeps us all in line and never lets us forget who the boss is but she's also super loving and sweet. it's Lily's world and the rest of us are lucky to live in it. 

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Entry

Cats and Luck.

Once I adopted Sparkle from the shelter, I returned regularly to spend some time in the cat room.  I'd take out one or 2 at a time and let them roam, play with them, and clip their nails.  I went in about once a week.  After about 7 months, I went in one day and was told the cat room was closed and I could not go in; they had an outbreak of some illness.  So I went to work.

Soon after, I received a phone call at work, the receptionist from the shelter.  She said she knew I had really enjoyed playing with this long haired cat, and as that kitty did not currently have signs of illness, could I please just come and get her?  I rushed home for one of my cat carriers, went and adopted the sweet long haired girl, and took her back home.  I released her in one bedroom with supplies, left the door closed and returned to work for the rest of the day.  More than 90% of the cats in the shelter that day died of the illness (I was very new to cats, and no idea what it was).  So I get this sweet kitty life.  Life in Italian is Vita.  So that is what I named her. 

Vita was a cuddler.  All she wanted in life was to snuggle in my lap and be cuddled.  Nothing else mattered.  She lived with me for 11 years.  And she took over helping Sparkle develop from a wild kitten to an adult mature cat.  Even though she was smaller than both Amber and Sparkle, she was the ruler, no doubt about that.

In this photo, Vita is held by Mrs. Claus.

View media item 411077

fantisticat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The Catster site talks about Fortune Cats here: http://www.catster.com/lifestyle/maneki-neko-fortune-cat-5-interesting-facts   Those are those ubiquitous ceramic cats with one paw raised.  I liked the section commenting on the good luck of the raised paw, in part, because my cat frequently shows me The Paw each morning.  Before gently touching my face - an experience I know many of you have and love! -  I especially love the moment the paw is just hovering there, raised, in Fortune Cat fashion!

This picture shows a box I will no doubt now keep for a year or more, since the Bonster has claimed it!

View media item 411092
 I know Bonnie, aka the Bonster, would enjoy these giveaway items!  Thanks for the opportunity to enter this sumptuous giveaway!

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ENTRY

I consider myself very lucky because I have "outgrown" my serious cat allergy. I thought I would never be able to have cats as a child, but lo and behold, with the help of allergy shots and a slow increase of exposure to cats as I went from volunteering at my local shelter to fostering to finally owning, I rarely even need an allergy pill most days much less an inhaler!

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is now 16 weeks and very VERY spoiled. I have planned on surrendering him to the shelter I volunteer for and when I get ready to take him, I can't. I have 6 cats in the house and really don't need any more but after what we went through with him I'm not sure if I could let him go,
View media item 395770
Mommy, you know you're not letting me go.

purplepeapod

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ENTRY

I often feel so grateful and lucky to have an amazing dog, and then to have found the best possible cat to join our little family. Porter didn't wait long to wrap me, my husband and our dog Waldo around his adorable little paw. Behold said (ridiculously cute purple-pink) paws below! Waldo just loves him. We could just watch them play-fight all day. We always thought Waldo to be a very cat-like dog. Well, Porter is a very dog-like cat, racing Waldo to catch toys when we play fetch. He's teething now and has sequestered one of Waldo's squeaky toys to gnaw on. We were so relieved to NOT find the dog at the top of the cat tree after hearing 'Waldo squeaky noises' coming from there. Yes, we're all charmed by Porter. Even Waldo, who always seems to be watching Porter lovingly/warily/with mild terror/with fond amusement. We all feel lucky to be around this feisty, loving Little Rock star. [emoji]127775[/emoji]

My previous black cats always had solid black paws... Porter's is now pinkish, but with a black sheen that gives it an overall purple-plum look. ACK, so CUTE! It might turn all black as he gets older, I'm not sure. Pets have all these little magical features that we find so precious and fascinating... 

Waldo: "Who sent you???"

;)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
ENTRY

In Japan, the Maneki-neko was always been seen as an incarnation of the Goddess of Mercy and the bringer of good fortune.