Give kitty to a friend while traveling?

oldguy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I'd like opinions please... I travel about once a month for a week or more. Friends having been checking in on my 1 year old Russian Blue kitten. I do have a friend who would take her while I'm traveling. She's usually VERY quiet and shy when I take her out of the house. Is giving her to a friend for a couple of weeks too traumatizing? Or is it better than having her alone?
Thanks for the help,
-a

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That all depends on your kitten. Does she know your friend - is she comfortable with him - has she been over his house - how is she behaving when there. Might want to give it a test run.

What is normally considered the least stressful way is not to change the environment and have someone that you and she is comfortable with come in at least twice a day to check on her, clean out her litterbox, feed her and play with her. If you decide on the this make sure the person you choose comes over several times before you leave on your next trip to establish a comford zone. Hope this helps a little. Good luck to you and your little one.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might want to make several day over trips and then maybe an overnight trip before the long periods. Cats are very social creatures and is best for them to be with someone for long periods of time. The other option, if I may be so bold..is to get the russian a play mate and hire someone or ask someone to come over to take care of them while you are gone.