Girl Kitten UTI not going away

njariesgirly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So she is on Clavamox and still going in her litter box squatting. She only passes a little bit of urine each time. Only 5 days left of her medicine. Any ideas? We can't take her back until next week due to money issues. Otherwise she is playing and acting normal. It's just making me worry. She was spayed recently....the vet didn't see anything related to this though.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What were your kitten's symptoms and how did you determine she needed to be seen by a vet? Sometimes, it can take at least half the duration of an antibiotic to even begin to see results. Sometimes, the antibiotic given is the not the correct answer. Did they do a urinalysis AND a urine culture? What was seen in her urine, and what did the urine culture tell you about the most effective antibiotics for her particular bacteria. I am going to guess there was no urine culture done, as it is more expensive, and Clavamox seems to be a 'go to' for UTIs.

For now, all you can do is tell the vet you are not seeing results and see what they say. Also, see if you can get her to drink more water as that can help to flush out the bladder too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

njariesgirly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What were your kitten's symptoms and how did you determine she needed to be seen by a vet? Sometimes, it can take at least half the duration of an antibiotic to even begin to see results. Sometimes, the antibiotic given is the not the correct answer. Did they do a urinalysis AND a urine culture? What was seen in her urine, and what did the urine culture tell you about the most effective antibiotics for her particular bacteria. I am going to guess there was no urine culture done, as it is more expensive, and Clavamox seems to be a 'go to' for UTIs.

For now, all you can do is tell the vet you are not seeing results and see what they say. Also, see if you can get her to drink more water as that can help to flush out the bladder too.
Thank you!! They said she didn't have enough urine to get one. To try Clavamox 1st.

njariesgirly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I found a few cans of urinary so food. This was for my favorite cat that passed away 2 months ago. Would this be ok to give her?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did your vet demonstrate how to check for dehydration? In addition to the loose skin test, checking the gums is important for kittens (pale? tacky? dry?). Until you get to the vet, you can ask your vet, or a holistic vet, about encouraging urine production, such as with herbs like cornsilk (if you use fresh cornsilk from a cob of corn, use only organic corn because corn, as well as wheat, are often heavily treated with pesticides, fungicides, rodenticides) and marshmallow root. Also, you could ask about adding the probiotic S. Boulardii for UT maintenance. And, you probably know this already, be sure to use only filtered or fresh good well water (or high quality bottled) because the chemicals in municipal tap water are hard on the kidneys and bladder.

njariesgirly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to update you. She actually got much better but took over 7 days to stop going in and out of the litter box. I was about to bring her right back to the vet but I waited.