Ginger Bald Spot

Fleetwood Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Cat Community,

Would love some expertise/advice on my cat Sushi’s bald spot- vet has said possibility of anxiety, no skin irritation (but seeing a bit of dermatitis since he has worked it), worm/flea up to date.
Anyone recognise the below as something they have seen before? Any recommendations for anxiety treatment and/or getting another cat friend?
Thank you in advance!

9547A1B5-E6A3-4838-B96B-34C76CE42B35.jpeg

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You might ask the vet if this could be fungal in nature. The skin in that area looks dry, which is often related to some sort of fungal infection. A skin scraping and tissue analysis, which is pretty much harmless and pain free, might be able to determine what it is. I would try that route before going down the path of anti-anxiety treatment.

A home remedy to see if that might clear up the area may be worth a shot. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking they are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then dab some on that spot with cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day.

Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for Sushi to ingest should he attempt do so.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may very well be anxiety about something, cats are very good at hiding that. I have a cat with severe anxiety/allergies and she scratches herself raw. Big bare patches. I tried literally everything and finally tried CBD oil for pets. THAT seems to help. She still scratches but not near what she was. You might try it, I found it behind the counter of my local pharmacy.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For anxiety, you could also try some Feliway. Basically, it's a synthetic version of the pheromones cats emit and distribute all around their home (and on their humans, BTW). For cats, the smell of Feliway says, "Good place. Home. Safe."

You can get it either as a spray or as a plug-in infuser; I tend to favor the spray since the infusers get pretty hot, which could be a fire hazard. However, be careful not to spray too much of it. I have congenital anosmia (I was born with a seriously impaired sense of smell) and if I spray too much Feliway even I can smell it! Not good.

Margret

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fleetwood Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Cat Friends,

Thank you all for your replies! Wanted to post an update- this forum empowered me to return to the vet and reject the original diagnosis of stress induced overgrooming. Whilst I think this could’ve definitely been valid- I think a vet should rule out the possible biological causes such as, fungal infection, before assuming stress/anxiety causes.

After my complaint to the vet, a complimentary consultation was given- bald spots/irritation along cat spine in this area are nearly always caused by allergies. In this case, it would have most likely been a quick flea bite (no fleas, just one biting in passing) which caused the allergic reaction.

Cortisol injection and Sushi is on the mend.

thank you again for your time and advice, this forum is invaluable!