Gifted Cat Tree - How to clean it?

ellymqueen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All - any advice on how to clean a cat tree from another person? I wonder if my kitten will be avoidant of it because she may smell another cat all over it?

Thanks!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You may be right about that, although any new thing in a house will take a bit to warm up to.  Cats are very cautious by nature.

Depending on what the tree is made of, Resolve Carpet or Upholstery cleaner will generally do the trick, but make sure you sponge of the residue very well.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have not had to do it before myself but.... I would vaccum the carpeted parts and use a cat specific cleaner (Natures Miracle is my go to) and wipe down any hard surfaces. I would then most the whole thing with the cleaner and set it outside in a sunny spot to dry. Probably leave it outside for a week and rotate/flip so all sides get plenty of sun. Between vacuuming loose debris, the cleaner, ultraviolet light and time that should take care of most possible germs and smells left by the past owner. Of course make sure your cat is up to date on vaccines just in case.

If you know the previous owners cat had FIP don't take the cat tree. The virus can live on surfaces for weeks, just not worth the risk.

catmom marcia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've done it several times.  I vacuumn then spray with a bleach solution (test a tiny area first for color fastness) then wipe it so the solution gets into the fibers very well.  I then set it in the garage for 2 weeks.  If the bleach is not practical use a general pet safe disinfectant (NOT Pinesol or similiar) and continue as above.  Time and sunlight are great disinfectants, too.

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Do you know anyone with a steam cleaner? The procedure at the shelter is: vacuum/brush, disinfect, then steam clean.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
The carpet on my cat tree gets covered in cat hair.  I have two long-haired cats that shed all over it.  I have found the best way to get the hair out of the carpet is with one of these brushes, called a slicker brush.  It has metal teeth that are in a soft base.  For me, it does a much better job than a vacuum!