Giardiasis diagnosis given fenbendazole for canine

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Took dolly to the vet. They said stool sample showed giardia and I was given a Merck product to put in her food. Says fenbendazole but also specifically say Canine Dewormer! I’m confused!

Is this right or just more sw Missouri vetting?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From Wikipedia:

Fenbendazole is a broad spectrum benzimidazole anthelmintic used against gastrointestinal parasites including: giardia, roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, the tapeworm genus Taenia (but not effective against Dipylidium caninum, a common dog tapeworm), pinworms, aelurostrongylus, paragonimiasis, strongyles, and strongyloides that can be administered to sheep, cattle, horses, fish, dogs, cats, rabbits, most reptiles, Dwarf freshwater shrimp tanks as Planaria and Hydra treatments as well as seals.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're welcome! :)

It's nice to know that, if your pet seal needs anti-worm medicine, you can give Fenbendazole! ;)

It would also have been nice if the vet would have told you something like, "It's a broad-spectrum remedy that works on many different animals... Just follow instructions and you'll be okay. Call me back if you have questions or problems."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well good to know. I’m of that era that never said “it’s ok he/she’s a doctor “ha!
While I respect the medical field that old adage “doctors bury their mistakes “ is also true for vets just like MDs