Giant Hairball Help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, I don't think so. That's something to get done though. He really needs an over all checkup especially now. I just don't know how we'll afford that and care for our senior cat that's having issues should she get worse or something.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Emrys seems okay, but at the same time he's having trouble keeping the little bit of food he does nibble on down. He's been spitting it back up off and on today. The vet's office is closed. Any ideas on how to help him. The vet doesn't open til 8am tomorrow morning. Hopefully he'll be feeling totally better by then. I know he'll be okay without food for a bit, but him constantly spitting up or out food can't be good for him. It doesn't look like it makes it to his stomach even it's just like in his mouth, and then he spits it out.

So far he seems to be keeping the bit of food he got down a little while ago, but I'm not sure how long that will last.

Hopefully he gets better soon. Hate seeing him like this.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, it's 3am, and I'm up observing Emrys. He couldn't seem to get food down yesterday, even though he was trying to eat he would usually spit it back up pretty much whole. I picked up food to give his system a break. I left down plenty of water, however. I'm not sure if things are better or worse. Em just heaved like he was going to throw up but nothing but a bit of saliva came out though. He's acting like his belly is uncomfortable again as well. Not sure if this is due to him being without food since yesterday evening or if there's a hairball or something that is stuck and won't move.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
In general, as I reread the thread, I don't think that this is getting better. It seems as if there could be an obstruction of some kind in his stomach or esophagus and I think that he needs to see a vet. If he were having hunger pangs, I think he might eat if he were not more than likely obstructed.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In general, as I reread the thread, I don't think that this is getting better. It seems as if there could be an obstruction of some kind in his stomach or esophagus and I think that he needs to see a vet. If he were having hunger pangs, I think he might eat if he were not more than likely obstructed.
I understand. I've been watching him closely, the only vet appointment I could get is Monday at 4pm. Right now he is doing A LOT better his energy is up, and we got some chicken and broth baby food, and he's eaten some of that and hasn't thrown it up or anything. He's acting more normally as well. He found a bowl of dry food I had down for my other cats that I put down and forgot to pick back up. And ate a few pieces out of it a little while ago, and those have stayed down as well. I'll continue to keep a close eye on him and will rush him in if he starts to slide back.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That appointment is not that far off, so just keep a close eye on him and see if he will continue to eat the wet food that you bought.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm going to blab here because my anxiety is high, and I'm exhausted, and I'm not sure what to do with myself.

Em finally pooped. The rest of this might be gross, but blabs are like that sometimes, you're welcome to skip this if you want. But his poop was lighter than normal and seemed softer. There was also some hair in it. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. As it could mean that the wet food I've gotten him to eat is helping things to move through his system. The bad side is, it could mean that he's got a clump of hair stuck in his digestive system somewhere. Good again, it could mean that it's moving through. I'm scared, and a bit confused on what to do as he's such a picky eater, and it's hard to get him to eat most stuff. I've had no luck getting him to eat cooked egg yolk. I'm not sure if I should try raw right now or what until I know his tummy's settled.

What's odd about my anxiety is emrys is acting pretty normal for him. Though I can tell his tummy still isn't quite right. He seems to be retching or coughing after he grooms himself sometimes. He seems fine before and after, and it's making me nervous. I'm trying to calm down and not fuss too much over him as he can sense my anxiety, and he gets upset too. Maybe it's the sleep deprivation messing with me as the more tired I am the more anxious I get. I am sleeping, but I'm not resting very deeply right now, as I'm listening for noises that may be Emrys in trouble. I'm scared of losing him in a bad way. I'm starting to wish different calls were made when it came to the vet, but it is what it is. I'm both sure he'll be fine til Monday afternoon, which can't come fast enough, but also afraid he won't be. I've been having panic attacks for two days as well, and I just can not calm down so many what ifs, should haves running around in my head. I'm not sure how to cope with any of this.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't think that it is bad at all that he pooped. Given that we are talking about a possible obstruction, something normal looking coming out is a good thing. Some hair in it might mean that there is something in his stomach or intestinal tract though. We can't guess how much or if it might all be starting to move but it seems as if he is holding his own as of right now. I would not worry too much about the lighter color stool or texture right now. When you see the vet, mention all the symptoms and the course this has followed. Write it down if you need to. I do that with any important doctor visit for myself or the animals.

Keep up the wet food at this point as nothing seems to be getting worse and it might be helping.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think that it is bad at all that he pooped. Given that we are talking about a possible obstruction, something normal looking coming out is a good thing. Some hair in it might mean that there is something in his stomach or intestinal tract though. We can't guess how much or if it might all be starting to move, but it seems as if he is holding his own as of right now. I would not worry too much about the lighter color stool or texture right now. When you see the vet, mention all the symptoms and the course this has followed. Write it down if you need to. I do that with any important doctor visit for myself or the animals.

Keep up the wet food at this point, as nothing seems to be getting worse, and it might be helping.
Thank you. Things seem to be getting better. He's still having a rough time with dry cat food but with wet food he's doing fine if I can get him to eat it that is. He's being picky and refusing it. I gave him a tiny bit of tuna about an hour ago, and he ate most of that, and it seems to have settled fine. I'm trying not to panic about him not seeming to eat as much as he normally would and such.

I'm trying to have all the important details in my posts here so they can help me at the vets as well since I keep losing the documents and stuff that I make any kind of notes on. I can access the site from my phone as well.

Last edited:

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Things seem to be getting better. He's still having a rough time with dry cat food but with wet food he's doing fine if I can get him to eat it that is. He's being picky and refusing it. I gave him a tiny bit of tuna about an hour ago, and he ate most of that, and it seems to have settled fine. I'm trying not to panic about him not seeming to eat as much as he normally would and such.

I'm trying to have all the important details in my posts here so they can help me at the vets as well since I keep losing the documents and stuff that I make any kind of notes on. I can access the site from my phone as well.
I know this is from a while ago but what happened?