Giada is fatter even though she's on a diet

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the little round belly isn't fat, it's a pouch that cats have to protect their internal organs if and when they get in fights with other cats. One of a cats most serious fighting moves is to use their back feet to rip open the other cat's stomach. They need to pouch to survive in the wild. If you get rid of the pouch you will have starved your cat to death.

nice picture, pretty kitty.
I agree with Kflowers that she looks good -- if Giada were really overweight, her belly would, hm, look larger, more spread out, on the tiles. (We notice this when our cats lie on the floor...) And it's also so true that looks can be deceiving with the pouch!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The standing view will only be useful if you manage to take the photo from above her center focus on the middle of her spine.

But she really does not look fat, and most look fatter lying down as she is.
If you don't believe me about the primordial Pouch, please look it up. Even the emaciated cats I've rescued had the hanging pouch.

Also, your cats are not going to fight that way with each other, even if you add more cats to the household. The kill or be killed fighting is usually what mother cats do to protect their kittens.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For reference.... this is what a fat cat looks like lying on the floor. 🤣 See how the fat just oozes onto the floor??
20201224_192227.jpg

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hehehe klunick klunick adorable kitty, doing level best to flatten as much as possible to cover as much space as possible. This is known as the subtle, passive territorial claim.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hehehe klunick klunick adorable kitty, doing level best to flatten as much as possible to cover as much space as possible. This is known as the subtle, passive territorial claim.
He was waiting patiently for my youngest to open the bedroom door so he could go in. Might as well sploot while he waits, right??

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here is a very recent pic of Feeby at 12 pounds, and just today during her specialty vet visit they said she is in excellent shape - body condition wise. She is a lot older than Giada, so her primordial pouch is a bit more pronounced as a result, but as you can see when comparing Giada and Feeby, Giada doesn't look any heavier than Feeby.
20210526_195821.jpg

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a very recent pic of Feeby at 12 pounds, and just today during her specialty vet visit they said she is in excellent shape - body condition wise. She is a lot older than Giada, so her primordial pouch is a bit more pronounced as a result, but as you can see when comparing Giada and Feeby, Giada doesn't look any heavier than Feeby. View attachment 393010
That is what our vet wants Boone to weigh. He is currently 14lbs. Gracie is 11lbs and is a skinny mini. Hard to believe that Gracie at 11 looks so much different than Feeby at 12. Must be all the hair Feeby has.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65 , I think Giada looks fine. Go back to weighing her once a month, weight fluctuates daily so I wouldn't worry about a few ounces. Cut the dry down to once a day as suggested above, throw each piece around the room to make her run for it, make a game of it if you can and she will get a little more exercise as well. Here are mine.
Buzz 9.3 lb and eats 280/300 cals a day.
IMG20210823112919.jpg

And here's Kiwi. Weights 11lb and eats 180/200 calories a day.
IMG20210822112722.jpg

Granted that's a lot of fur but there's a big belly there too.
My point is that all cats metabolism is different and you have to find what's right for yours.