GI distress

blob99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday my cat developed bad diarrhea that progressed from slightly soft to completely liquid with some mucous and blood. She then also regurgitated her food and later some water. At this point she was otherwise acting normal--bright eyed and still playful. But, we made a visit to the emergency vet. Her vitals and bloodwork looked normal other than dehydration. We did an x-ray to see if there was an obstruction and the x-ray wasn't very conclusive. They gave her fluids and sent me home with some easy to digest food and antibiotics.

Today she's been very unlike her normal self and it is obvious she does not feel well. Very lathargic, can't seem to get comfortable. She has eaten a full 5 oz can of the easy to digest food and has kept it down. But she has yet to produce any stool. I called the vet and they said after diarrhea it can take a long time for cats to poop again. But I'm worried that even though her GI symptoms are better, she seems worse.

Could this be a symptom of the antibiotics? Is there anything I can do to help her feel better? I'm trying to figure out at what point does she need to go to the vet again.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have a soft warming pet bed? It's hard to say if she'd stay in it but it might help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blob99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have a soft warming pet bed? It's hard to say if she'd stay in it but it might help.
I do not, but I could warm up some blankets in the drier and see if she finds it appealing.

She is sleeping on a folded up fleece blanket that I put on the floor right now, she has not been wanting to jump up on the the couches or chairs like she normally does

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's possible her gastro tract is inflamed. That can cause discomfort when laying down or "loafing". Once the inflammation subsides, she should be able to relax. As long as she keeps her food down, I would expect a bowel movement in 24 hours. If she starts with diarrhea again, I would try saccharomyces boulardii mixed in with wet food or a little bit of plain meat baby food. Be sure she's is also staying hydrated.