Ghost markings, tabby pattern or smoke tabby?

smokey123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently brought a kitten i believe both parents were tabbies. The father looked like a grey/blue tabby and the mother was more of a brownish tabby. In person my kittens fur is a blue/grey colour and he has darker blue/grey marbled/bullseye tabby pattern. I cant work out if this pattern will fade with age or if he will be this pattern older aswell either way I dont mind and I think he's beautiful :) but I was just wondering if anyone else knew? I've never seen a cat solid blue/grey with markings and I wasn't sure if his patterns are too dark for ghost markings.
20220517_125803.jpg
Snapchat-1358458409.jpg

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you share a photo of the head straight on, and the body in full natural lighting? Based on these photos, looks blue solid with ghosting, but I’d need to see other angles to be sure :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smokey123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply :) Its dark right now for me but I have these photos I hope they're good enough :) do you think he will have these markings when he's older or if they will fade with time?
Screenshot_20220517-221530_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220517-221351_Gallery.jpg

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks blue solid, yep :) should fade with time, but the ghosting may remain visible in bright light, especially since the ghosting is classic pattern

smokey123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankyou :) cant wait to see how he turns out either way I dont mind just curious as to how he will turn out because ill probably not find out for another few months yet aha. Thanks again for the reply! :)

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently brought a kitten i believe both parents were tabbies. The father looked like a grey/blue tabby and the mother was more of a brownish tabby. In person my kittens fur is a blue/grey colour and he has darker blue/grey marbled/bullseye tabby pattern. I cant work out if this pattern will fade with age or if he will be this pattern older aswell either way I dont mind and I think he's beautiful :) but I was just wondering if anyone else knew? I've never seen a cat solid blue/grey with markings and I wasn't sure if his patterns are too dark for ghost markings.View attachment 420684View attachment 420685
What a cutie 😻 In the first pic he looks like a light chocolate. It will be interesting to see if he keeps the tabby pattern. I found this pic of a ragamuffin kitten with classic tabby, but darker than his.

https://www.sunhotsell.com/?product_id=167930703_56

smokey123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankyou! :) and I see what you mean I he is much greyer in person but he definitely looks more of a light brownish colour in that picture! I cant wait to see what his fur looks like. I think I've read cats are about 6 months when they get their adult coats but im not sure. I cant see the picture unfortunately :(

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree, blue solid. Seeing this strong ghost markings, you may become unsure...

But in a real tabby, its very seldom you do hesitate... Its obvious tabby...

smokey123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree, blue solid. Seeing this strong ghost markings, you may become unsure...

But in a real tabby, its very seldom you do hesitate... Its obvious tabby...
Thanks for your reply :) That what really confused me i thought ghost markings were lighter than his but they must just be quite dark in his case! His brothers and sisters were a typical brown tabby pattern he was the only one who had a solid colour to him.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou! :) and I see what you mean I he is much greyer in person but he definitely looks more of a light brownish colour in that picture! I cant wait to see what his fur looks like. I think I've read cats are about 6 months when they get their adult coats but im not sure. I cant see the picture unfortunately :(
Yw 😀 kittens can change a lot.

Here it is.. the adult cat lh was described as a brown tabby but looks very red.

E8B88F2B-41ED-4F4E-B398-3FC9579D524A.jpeg
E8B88F2B-41ED-4F4E-B398-3FC9579D524A.jpeg
5D124F07-0D16-4657-92E1-FA04F7D5D51A.jpeg

smokey123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah yes I can see them now :) his fur is about the same colour as the markings on the first picture! He's the same colour all over apart from the markings theyre just a darker shade hes not as fluffy though! This is his fur with flash :)View attachment 420794
It looks like he could keep his pattern maybe. Time will tell.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm going to disagree with most of the others and say he is a tabby, not a solid. The reason there isn't much contrast is because he's a dilute color.

Mistawis22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Midas Shadow- as you can see he appears to be jet black in most situations but one day saw him lying in direct sunlight and did a double take- the jet black had turned to a chocolate reddish brown with darker mackerel tabby stripes!🤯😱 I have never seen this in a cat before. The stripes are only visible in direct sunlight. Would this be considered a ghost tabby? Or is he just a black mackerel tabby?

Attachments