Ghost has seizures

Angel7472

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, we trapped a semi feral cat outside a few years ago. Found out that he was someone's pet that they got as a kitten and when the kids and the kitten didn't get along threw him outside. They thought this was best for the cat. So we fed him for a summer and then managed to trap him in October of 2018 and re-socialized him. He's my baby now. Every morning I sit at the kitchen table and read the news on my laptop while drinking my coffee. He comes up to me and gently touches me with a paw to get my attention. I then call him up and we cuddle. This is his cuddle time.

Fast forward and about 6 months ago he had his first seizure. My husband couldn't sleep and went downstairs to the couch. He was laying there when he felt shaking. He turned on the light and Ghost was there making what he describes as chirping noises and shaking. It was 2 in the morning and husband said it lasted about 30 seconds.

So then nothing. Literally, nothing for the longest time. Then another one occured a few months later. Again maybe a minute. Then a bomb hit. I heard my cat before I actually saw him. I went upstairs and he was thrashing across the floor. It was terrifying. I thought my cat was dying. To me this lasted a lifetime as I sat there watching my baby boy convulse across the floor and had no idea what was going on. I ran downstairs and told my daughter and her boyfriend that I think my cat is dying. This seemed to go on forever. His body went completely rigid and I thought this is it. He was twitching and his eyes were glazed over. Then a couple minutes later he trilled at me and wanted up. He walked over and started cleaning himself since he lost control of his bladder.

There was no denying what was happening, my cat was having seizures. The one I actually witnessed was a full blown seizure. That was March16th. I've been keeping track of them now. I took him to the vet and they did a complete work up and of course nothing was found. Which from everything I've read is typical. He's a very healthy male cat at normal weight. Looking back I think he's been having mini seizures. I just thought he was a vivid dreamer. I don't know what happened to him the first 10 months of his life. But reading everything suggests he is in the age frame for epilepsy. It usually strikes around 4 years old and he just turned 4 this spring. They asked if I want to medicate him now or wait and see. They explained everything to me and of course there's this sight and the entire internet at my beck and call. So, because it was only happening every other month we decided to wait.

Soooo, here's where it gets bad. My oldest daughter took my dog to the forest preserve and she came back infested with ticks. They were crawling on my youngest daughter in the middle of the night, that's where the dog sleeps. My house was infested. So not thinking I treated my dog with more tick killer, and treated ALL my cats, just in case. That's when the seizure thing got REAL!

Stupid me!!! My cat has now been having full blown seizures every other day and night. There's no rhyme or reason to the timing. So now it's April 28, May 3rd and May 6th. That's it time to call the vet and get meds.

Here's where I need your help. He's on 1ml of Levetiracetam every 8 hours. I gave him the first dose when I got home yesterday afternoon. He's fighting me!! Some of it dripped on my pants. But I did get it in his mouth with my oldest daughter's help. Last night my husband and youngest tried to give it to him and he FOUGHT!!! This morning I tried to kitty burrito him and he burrowed into the blanket. We get it in but does anyone have any tricks? I gave him treats afterward this morning because he's food motivated. Hoping to give positive reinforcement with the meds. But he's not food motivated enough to put it in wet food.

He's due for a seizure today and I'm crossing my fingers this works. He's already changed. He doesn't purr as much anymore. You could look at him and he would be purring before you touch him. He's also not cuddling with me as much this morning. It also makes him a little loopy. I watched him walk down the stairs and he was almost tripping over his feet. But if it helps in the long run it's for the best.

Anyway, sorry for the super long post. Any way to get this liquid in my cat? Tips? Tricks? All suggestions welcome!!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get Hartz Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors and give all my cat's meds in that. They have never refused. I order it online at Target, Walmart, and Amazon. A twelve pack costs around 10-12 dollars. Since I share one packet amongst three cats you might try a small amount and give the rest when he laps it up with the medicine. Your little one will return to normal, but when they start meds like that it takes weeks for them to build a tolerance so they get back to normal. It also takes about that long to work. He may need his dose adjusted as he goes along. My heart goes out to you, I'll pray for your little boy.....

stoorworm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried using these feeding syringes with longer nozzles?
They sell feeding nozzles separately too so you can put them on different sized
I was giving my kitty some anti nausea meds for a while. He spits out pills so my vet crushes them up, I mix them with a little water, pull them in a syringe, sit behind him, place the syringe in through the side of his mouth and inject.
Mine has extra steps seeing that your meds already come in liquid form.
I’ve found that if you can control the injection speed, bigger syringes (5ml for me) are easier to use than smaller ones thanks to requiring less hand movements but each to their own.

He hated it at first but with time it became just a routine we went through before breakfast.
I used syringes without feeding nozzles but I think it’ll be easier to use one with.
67EEBB65-A07D-42DA-90DA-F780914ADD1F.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Angel7472

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The syringe isn't the problem I don't think. I'm used to syringes due to my own medical condition and having to use them for the past 15 years. He is also missing a canine from when we trapped him and he chipped it on the trap we think. So we had the vet remove it when he got neutered and a complete work up in 2018. So I got a little pocket I can shoot it into. I'm hoping this just becomes routine and he takes it eventually. But until then I have to come up with tricks. I'll be alone this afternoon for the first time trying to give it to him. Fingers crossed.
I was really hoping that the meds would just kick him. Delusional is my middle name:lol:
I'm supposed to call if he has another seizure. If I go by the last week he's due for one today but I don't know when, and if he's not in the room in the middle of the night I won't know.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would suggest trying other ways to administer meds that don't require force syringing them. Here are the things I have used with Feeby, all of them successful with either liquid or crushable pills. These worked well even with a med that made Feeby foam at the mouth when administered via oral syringe. You use just enough to make sure that he ingests all of the meds.
1.) 'juice' from canned tuna and chicken, and then give him a piece of the meat as a treat afterward
2.) baby food meats (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut)
3.) lickable treats, such as Applaws, Wholehearted, Tiki Cat Stix, Inaba Churu, Vitakraft - just to name a few
4.) Tiki Cat Mousse (which is complete meal, not a treat)

Angel7472

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with the not wanting to shove a syringe down his throat. He already is starting to show apprehension towards me. Hence why the treats afterwards. I tried baby food when he was semi-feral and trying to trap him. He wasn't motivated by it too much. I'll try the lick-able treats.
My youngest daughter's cat has to have joint supplements. She just sits her on her lap tilts her head back pops one in her mouth and she swallows it. I'm really wishing it was that easy.
Hopefully the vet will understand if I run out of meds sooner due to trying this.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I tried baby food when he was semi-feral and trying to trap him. He wasn't motivated by it too much. I'll try the lick-able treats.
Cats' preferences can change, so just buy a couple jars of baby food in case he might go for it this time, especially if the lickable treats don't do it.
Hopefully the vet will understand if I run out of meds sooner due to trying this.
Trust me - they will understand. You aren't the first, nor the last, person who has had to get more meds because of this!! ;)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had several who were hard to pill. What might work, my cat that I needed it to work for, was too big for it, is a cat bag. The vet suggested it. All of the cat except the head goes into the bag and it zips up. The cat can't unroll it the way they can a towel. The one I had was canvas material. Warning, it was a fight to get him in the bag. I think if the one I had was big enough, it would have been less of a fight.
the mesh ones for bathing look like they might catch claws.

this one looks tougher than the mesh ones for bathing.
1620512049113.png

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0098AOY0K/?tag=thecatsite

Angel7472

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So far we have tried 2 different kinds of lickable treats. He likes them at first but as soon as I put the meds in he stuck his nose up at it. So again the fight.
I remembered he loves tuna water. So I put some in a dish of tuna water and he took it. My husband took some tuna I put in the fridge from draining the water and he broke it up and added the meds. The tuna absorbs the meds and he eats it. So far that's worked the last 3 times. Just now I broke it up and he ate half, so I had to open another can and put a tiny bit of broth. So, I just now looked up how to make tuna water broth:lol:
Luckily I eat low sodium pole and line caught wild tuna so it's not filled with a ton of sodium. It's also a bit smellier tuna if that makes sense. I may look into the kitty bag thing. But so far the tuna seems to be doing the job.:yess:
I do appreciate the suggestions though. Thank you all!!!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use tuna packed in water for Sweet Gum's meds. I freeze cubes of tuna in an ice tray. Then put the cubes in a freezer container. Put one in the fridge at night to thaw by morning, In the morning mix her medicine in the clump of tuna. So far she's liked it and it's been years.

Angel7472

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly, what makes me mad was that when I first spoke with the vet regarding the seizures he actually called me. He stated that everything with his blood work was ok and he was very healthy. He stated that there were multiple drugs on the market and that this one shows great promise without all the side effects. He stated that only downside was the every 8 hours administration. To which I replied "ICK". I already didn't like the idea of shoving liquid down his throat, much less every 8 hours.
Anyway, fast forward to now and the bi-daily seizures and the vet prescribes the one I didn't show an enthusiasm for. So, long story short, this wasn't the drug I really wanted. There is an extended release pill that I'm really hoping he can be switched over too. My vet is also making me buy the drugs from him instead of just calling in a prescription. On Goodrx 300ml (which would last forever) is only $16.10. But I had to pick up a bottle of 60ML for $20. He may call something in if this is going for the long run, but I don't know. Some vets administer drugs for 2 weeks, ween them off and see if they have seizures again. I really dislike the whole Covid and the grabbing my pet from the car. He didn't even call me when I called in telling them he was having multiple seizures, I only spoke to the receptionist. "He was in surgery" and he never called after to ask questions or anything. I really debated going to another vet but the other one is REALLY REALLY expensive.
Anyway, thanks for coming to my Ted talk today. :lol:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you decide to go to a different vet, be aware that you are entitled to copies of EVERY SINGLE page of your pet's medical records, not just a listing of what shots he's gotten. Some vets have to be reminded of that several times. The best way is to go without your pet when you ask for the records and say you will stay right there at the door until the records are given to you.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The TED Talk part made me actually snort. Thanks for the laugh but I completely see your point. Do you think that the other vet, along with the high price, is just a whole lot better and would cost you less in the long run and work with you? If so, I would give it a try. It completely burns me when a vet will not allow orders from an outside source and then manipulates the prescription.

I don't think that you are getting good service from the current vet, which means that kitty might not be getting the best care. I would really want information on the time released medication since it seems so much more expedient.

And yes, every shred of documentation and paperwork about your cat is yours and you have to be given it upon asking. This can all be checked online if you need to go further with it and threaten to report them for non compliance.

Angel7472

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been to both vets actually. The expensive vet actually told me NOT to get my female cat spayed there. She said that they cost a small fortune for a simple procedure. She straight forward admitted to me that they don't do anything more than any other vet. So my pets have been going to the country vet. He's been the one I've been going to for years but this new thing has kinda just got me irked. They haven't even followed up with me in the past few days asking if all is going well or anything.
The other expensive vet is where I take my daughters guinea pigs because they're the only "exotic" pet vet in area. They're also the ones that I took Slinky to when I first found her and couldn't get her to eat from the bottle at 5 days old.
This afternoon he wouldn't take the tuna and I had to bundle him and try to shove the syringe in his mouth. Obviously, it didn't work too well in my favor with a stubborn, squirmy cat. Some of it ended up on my foot and pants. Either I'm just aggravated because of my cat or this really is going to become a very long 14-16 years of annoyance. I love my cat but every 8 hours is a bit much. I have to set timers to remind me to dose him. I went to walk outside and went oh wait I gotta dose Ghost I can't go and start stuff in the yard.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The more expensive vet may not be doing more but they might be more informed or on top of things. My cat vet charges a lot for a spay or neuter and yes, it can be safely done elsewhere for a lot less, so I can see saving that kind of money. Spaying and neutering is basically the same everyplace you go so I can see her point in telling you that. This case might be different though since you have your hands full with the cat, a so so response from the vet, and frustration. The lack of follow up is telling to me.

Angel7472

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I see the point you're making and completely understand. More than likely I will be taking him to the other vet just because of the simple point that I don't believe that I was given a completely educated choice in this.
Upon researching, this medication could have been done in treat form and other forms. From a vet perspective they're used to dosing cats and know every trick to man. I'm sure given a few years of doing this I would also become a pro. But being a full blown noob here should have been taken into account.
This morning I again mixed his meds in what I call the tuna slurry(tuna boiled in water and then blended smooth) and he refused to eat it. I then had to put him in my lap and gave him half a dose since he did eat some but unsure exactly how much. He took it easier this time and it didn't go everywhere, but again it's the point I had to fight him.
I do believe if it was a pill or cat treat I could easily pop it in his mouth and get him to swallow it whole like my daughter's cat does.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Vets don't automatically prescribe compounded meds as they are more expensive and not everyone wants to pay more than they have to. Vets also don't have compounded meds readily available, so there is a waiting time to get the prescription to a compounding pharmacy and have them fill it. And, you could go through several compounded medications before you might find one that works - more money involved.

The key to putting meds in tuna, or whatever medium one chooses, is to NOT give a whole lot of it to them with the med - just enough to get them to eat that little bit and then feed them more afterward. Your cat will learn that if he eats that little bit, he will get more.

I go through this with Feeby every morning for her breakfast. She gets her meds in a small amount of food, she eats it, and sits there waiting for the rest. She is a very patient calm cat, so it really only took a day or two for her to realize how the process was going to work. Later in the day, when she isn't as hungry is when I pull out the baby food meat or the lickable treats to give her the second dose of meds.

It really is a learning process for a care taker to figure out what works best for their cat. And, some cats are easier than others, just by virtue of their own personality. But, even experienced cat owners have to go through this process to find out what works - each time it involves a different cat. Hang in there!