Getting used to larger vehicle

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it looks like I'm going to have to get a larger vehicle, possibly a van, so I can transport my husband plus a wheelchair once he gets out of the nursing home 🤞.) We're selling some property, so I should be able to afford it, but the problem is that for many years now I've been driving compact cars. When I briefly got a larger car I had a lot of trouble with things like running over curbs because I didn't have a feel for where the right side was. Does anyone have any suggestions of ways to get a feel for where the edges of a new vehicle are? I am not looking forward to the learning curve on this one.

Margret

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I learned how to drive in a big car, so when I went to small one I was amazed at how puny I felt...and I was such an amazing parker! LOL! (I still am BTW) Now I'm back in a big vehicle (van). It's so much better. The thing about being in a van, is you sit much higher up so it easier to see the end of the hood, and the edges of the hood so you know how to judge your corners. Judging the back is super easy, because it's flat, so the end of your van is the end...don't have to worry about a trunk sticking out....well there's the bumper, but that's only a few inches that stick out.
Best advice I can give you is re-learn how to use your mirrors. They are bigger in a van, and I find are easier to use than in a small car. Sounds weird because I'm sure they make them appropriately sized depending on the vehicle, but...they just seem easier to use. Perhaps it's also because, as I said, you sit higher in the vehicle so the line of sight around you is much clearer.
If you get a truck...sorry no help...I've never had one. But I'm sure if you get a crossover type vehicle...it would be almost the same as a van as they too have flat backs and you sit higher.
If you get a van...get the "stow and go" back seats...they are GREAT! They fold right into the floor so all your husbands medical equipment would easily fit but you can still have seats if you need them without messing with a pull out bench.
Also with a van, although expensive...you can get lifts put in the side sliding door if he ever uses an electric chair.
Good Luck!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Jem Jem . Don't know about an electric chair yet, right now he's stuck in the nursing home until it's safe for him to put his feet on the floor again (he keeps injuring his feet somehow, and every time he tries to use them he ends up getting infections in the wounds that are already there). They'll decide what he needs in the way of chairs once he gets to that point.

There's no way I can help him transfer from the wheelchair to, say, the toilet until he can use his feet to help himself (the man is 6'7", i.e. 2 meters tall, and I'm all of 5 feet, i.e. 1.5 meters tall). I've already found a good handyman who can put a wheelchair lift in the garage, with a new door opening directly from the lift into the living room, and also make the bathroom wheelchair accessible, and beyond that I'm mostly just trying to plan, and keep up with bills. My hope is that eventually Roger will once again be able to get around with a walker, but we can't rely on that, and even then a wheelchair accessible van would make transporting him easier.

My other hope is that I'll be able to find a good used van, from a private seller; I really don't want to mess around with a dealer -- they tend to think they can take advantage of a woman and it takes forever to disabuse them of this notion. And I can't even start shopping until the property sale goes through, which is just over a month from now. And either I need more caffeine or I'm getting a headache just thinking about all of it (or both :lol: ).

I used to drive a van, learned to drive a stick shift in a van, in fact, but that was 45 or so years ago. I'm finding that I've become less, um, flexible as I age, mentally as well as physically. I don't remember having trouble switching from the van to the compact car way back when, but I had a horrible time when I switched from my old compact to that lemon of a Dodge Dart I bought a couple of years ago.

Sigh. The last year has been hell, but things are finally looking up, with the sale of the property. Just got to keep hanging in there a little bit longer...

Margret

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it looks like I'm going to have to get a larger vehicle, possibly a van, so I can transport my husband plus a wheelchair once he gets out of the nursing home 🤞.) We're selling some property, so I should be able to afford it, but the problem is that for many years now I've been driving compact cars. When I briefly got a larger car I had a lot of trouble with things like running over curbs because I didn't have a feel for where the right side was. Does anyone have any suggestions of ways to get a feel for where the edges of a new vehicle are? I am not looking forward to the learning curve on this one.

Margret
after hours parking lot and some cones or big card board boxes(practice your turns) :) can also use your side mirrors at first to get an idea of where the middle of your van is and take your time turn slow dont worry about the drivers in back etc.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I stuck to the back roads at first when we upgraded to the suv. And parked toward the back of parking lots. I’m assuming you’ll have a handicap placard though so you should get larger spaces and that will help.

Maybe get the tall orange poles that go along driveways and curbs in the winter? Then you can see where they are at home as you get more familiar with it.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I stuck to the back roads at first when we upgraded to the suv. And parked toward the back of parking lots. I’m assuming you’ll have a handicap placard though so you should get larger spaces and that will help.
Yes, we have a handicap card to hang from the mirror, though I'm only allowed to use it when:
  1. Roger is along.
  2. Roger is either getting out of or into the van. If he's just going to wait in the vehicle while I go into the grocery store for a few items I have to park in a standard space. Ditto if I'm just using it to go to the store by myself. And I can't see hanging onto the compact car for my personal use (much as I'd like to) since I don't think we can fit both of them into the garage.
Obviously, I still need to think things out here.

Margret

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(he keeps injuring his feet somehow, and every time he tries to use them he ends up getting infections in the wounds that are already there).
Is he diabetic? That can definitely makes things difficult...but if the goal is to get his feet healthy so he can use them, here are some tips.
Inspect the feet DAILY. It doesn't take long for things to take a turn. If you find ANYTHING, get treatment right away.
Bathe the feet in warm, not hot, water daily. Be gentle and use a soft cloth. Tops, bottoms, sides under the folded parts of the toes, between the toes....everywhere. Dry by blotting or patting the skin, and ensure that around, under and between the toes are also dry. One thing I've learned is that many people don't even wash their feet, they think that just letting the soapy water swish around them is enough......yeah...that's not enough. Most people also don't dry their feet properly either. I now it can get difficult with age but I hope he can find a way to make sure his feet are cared for properly.
Moisturize the feet but avoid moisturizing between the toes.
Cut nails carefully, Cut them straight across and file the edges. Too short and/or curved can lead to ingrown nails.
Have regular pedicures from someone experienced with medical foot care to keep calluses and corns at bay, and to help prevent cracking and ingrowns.
Always wear clean dry socks, change them throughout the day if sweaty feet is an issue.
Also consider diabetic socks. They are made with more cushioning, don't have elastic tops, are higher than the ankle, are are made with moisture wicking fabric.
If sweaty feet are a real issue, consider using an antiperspirant on the bottoms of the feet....as long as there are no open wounds on the area.
Never walk barefoot, even in the home, this will help prevent future cuts or wounds
Overall, keeping the feet warm and dry is important.

Even if he's not diabetic, he's obviously prone to "bad feet" so I would still treat his feet as if they are diabetic...it will only help the situation...hope this helps! :)

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, definitely diabetic. And the reason we don't know how he's injuring his feet is that he has diabetic neuropathy so bad that he can't feel it when he hurts himself. He's also unable to take care of his own feet - at 6'7" he can't reach his feet to care for them. I've been trying to take care of them for him for decades now, with varying degrees of success. I have a vivid memory of getting him to the doctor for a blister on his toe that was in the early stages of infection. He insisted that I come along, so the doctor could tell me to my face that I was over-reacting, and the doctor took one look and said "Oh, good! You caught it early this time!"

As for diabetic socks, we have to order them online (the man wears size 15 shoes). And I'm going to have to find some kind of tub I can use to bathe his feet, maybe an unused litter box would be big enough. His bathtub (which he's never used as a tub anyway) will be changed to a shower, so he can get into it, and we already have a shower chair.

I got some, hm, I'm not sure what it's called, but it's like thin batting with a layer of aluminized mylar in its center, with small holes in the mylar so it can breathe. And unlike most aluminized mylar you can sew it. I also got some rubbery sole material which I'll need a sewing awl to attach. I thought I'd use a layer of flannel, a thin layer of cotton batting, a layer of the mylar stuff, another layer of batting, and another layer of flannel to make him slippers, sewing on the soles once I've actually put all the rest together. I'll need to get a good outline of his feet first; part of his left heel has been removed so he'll have to have custom slippers. He's also going to need some kind of brace because of the heel, and I'll have to leave room for it. And I can't even start on it until the brace is done. I should probably make two pairs, so he can wear one while the other is being laundered. He's under doctor's orders to keep his feet warm, for circulation.

This is quickly turning into a full-time job. With mandatory overtime. Heaven help us if I get sick!

Margret

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well thank heavens for you for taking the extra time to help him...
He insisted that I come along, so the doctor could tell me to my face that I was over-reacting
This made me laugh....I was going to post at the end of my comment that if he makes a fuss and is too stubborn to do what needs to be done that you just need to tell him he's S.O.L. and to suck it up and do it! :lol: I had a strong suspicion he wasn't making a big enough deal about it all, but didn't want to assume.

a thin layer of cotton batting
Sheepskin would last longer....it's dense and warm but is breathable and very plush and durable.....just a thought....perhaps for one of the layers.

I found this......
Sores Healing Medical Boot | Medical Sheepskins

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, one other tip that people may not think of (I even forgot about it), considering you guys don't know how he's always hurting his feet...is to check the insides of his shoes/slippers before putting them on, and even throughout the day if he's been moving around a lot.

I have the opposite problem with my feet...they are super sensitive....like more sensitive than what should be possible, maybe it's my super power...dumb power, but I digress... :lol: So anyway, I know for a fact how much crap sneaks into my slippers and shoes and even sometimes in my socks throughout the day. Most of which would not cause a problem, like lint......yes, I feel lint....but because he can't feel anything...a simple little bitty stone could cause pretty significant issues, even a fold or wrinkle in his sock at just the right place, could cause a pressure sore.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This made me laugh....I was going to post at the end of my comment that if he makes a fuss and is too stubborn to do what needs to be done that you just need to tell him he's S.O.L. and to suck it up and do it! :lol: I had a strong suspicion he wasn't making a big enough deal about it all, but didn't want to assume
Yes, it makes me laugh, too. Now, that is. At the time I just felt vindicated, and I've used it to keep him in line ever since, though it obviously isn't enough any longer.

Roger also has something called Steal Syndrome in his left hand, caused by the fistula they use for dialysis; it's another kind of neuropathy, so when his left little finger was injured somehow and I told him he needed to get it looked at he found it easy to ignore. Eventually the infection entered the bone, and the finger had to be amputated.

Sheepskin would last longer....it's dense and warm but is breathable and very plush and durable.....just a thought....perhaps for one of the layers.
I used to get sheepskin slippers for myself every winter, but I've noticed that before the end of winter the fleece is feeling all matted and scratchy; that's why I never even considered using that for slippers for him. I'll check out the Medical Sheepskins, though.

Currently Roger is confined to bed or a wheelchair - no putting his feet on the floor even when using the toilet (and it takes something like 3 or 4 trained nurses and/or therapists to get him onto the toilet). He wears slipper socks on his feet (the kind they give you in the hospital, that don't last worth a d***), and something like Posey boots, but one step up from the naked foam of Posey boots (I forget what the new ones are called, but they're bigger and are covered in fabric). We're making a try at him wearing size 16 sandals (one size too big, so they extend beyond his toes) in bed, to keep the covers from rubbing against his toes while still keeping his feet warm, but the wound care people at the nursing home have expressed concern that the sandals themselves may be causing problems. I'm not currently qualified to express an opinion; I'll know better after his next appointment with the wound care doctor this Wednesday, which I expect to attend. If he has new injuries where the straps hold the sandals on, it's a problem.

I feel like there ought to be a whole branch of medicine that already knows how to deal with these problems, but we seem to be making it up as we go along, and that's just wrong. I wish my mother were still alive so I could get her advice; on medical matters she was always right.

Margret

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually, if you can think of a product it probably exists, the problem is finding it. The do sell things like edema sandals Men's Open Toe Edema Slippers
and poofy booties Men's Edema Shoes
and easy-on slippers Mens Extra Extra Wide Slip Resistant Slippers
even medical sheepskin sandal/booties HealthyFeetStore.com

There's a whole industry out there for diabetic supplies, no idea why the nurses don't know more about that.

ETA: of course I just realized that none of those go up to size 16, hmm, I wonder if there's a company out there that can make them in custom sizes. Well, at least they might be a good template if you need to make them yourself.

ETA2: wow, they aren't cheap but these are kind of impressive: HealthyFeetStore.com

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ETA: of course I just realized that none of those go up to size 16, hmm, I wonder if there's a company out there that can make them in custom sizes. Well, at least they might be a good template if you need to make them yourself.
Roger actually wears size 15; I deliberately got the sandals one size too large. However, I just checked all of your links and none of them go up to size 15. Even the slippers at the Medical Sheepskin place that Jem Jem linked to only go up to size 14. The most likely candidate I've found is this one: Merino Lambswool Wrap Booties- one size fits all: M161, which is supposedly one-size-fits-all. Unfortunately, in my experience that generally means "One size fits most, but not Roger." I'm about to email them and ask.

Sometimes I just feel like :runaround:. There's been a lot of that lately.

Margret

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Way back before I learned to drive my Grandpa had curb feelers on his car. I remember being fascinated with them and crushed when cars stopped using them. AMAZON HAS THEM !!!!

They make a rasping sound. You'll need to drive with the passenger window open for awhile but they should help you gauge the width of your car/van. I, also, lay down across the back seat to get a subconscious image of the size of the car.

Here they are::

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=curb+fee...,165&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_7&tag=thecatsite

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Way back before I learned to drive my Grandpa had curb feelers on his car. I remember being fascinated with them and crushed when cars stopped using them. AMAZON HAS THEM !!!!

They make a rasping sound. You'll need to drive with the passenger window open for awhile but they should help you gauge the width of your car/van. I, also, lay down across the back seat to get a subconscious image of the size of the car.

Here they are::

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=curb+feelers&i=automotive&crid=3FUY4M3HL5YUG&sprefix=feelers,aps,165&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_7&tag=thecatsite
Ooh! Now that's useful!

Thanks, K Kflowers !

Margret