Getting use to harness & leash

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok many of you know my little Miss Zander. Well she has decided to start sneaking out every time the door is open so I have gotten her a collar, harness and leash.

She finally got use to her collar. We put her harness on her and she is so small she took it off. She HATES it. She growls every time we are putting it on. We got her the smallest harness they had. What can I do to keep her from taking it off and get use to it better.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Find an extra yummy treat that she goes wild for, and keep it just for harness training. Go back a step, and start by having the harness in front of her. When she shows interest in it, treat her. Once she's happy to see the harness, start just laying it over her back and treating her, praising the whole time. Then begin to put it on her (one leg in, or over her head - however you'd start to put it on) and treat, again with lots of praise. Keep going like this until the harness is on and done up. Break it down into baby steps, and make it the most fun and exciting part of her day. It shouldn't take long for her to fully accept the harness - and even enjoy having it on.

Good luck :) :vibes: