Getting stiff in her back legs

horseygal90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My two kitties are knocking on a bit now (12 this June), and whilst Poppet is active and moves freely, Snowball seems to hobble a lot more now and often meows as she's jumping up to things - not the happy Brrrrp of her younger years, a proper ouch! sounding meow. She no longer likes her back legs being touched as well.

Is there anything we can do for her? The vet seems largely unconcerned, but I hate seeing her hobbling in. She was never an active cat, which is possibly something to do with it?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is part of the normal aging process, unfortunately. Just like us humans, they get arthritis. I give my old lady cat a supplement called Cosequin, which is for joint stiffness. It's glucosamine for kitties. It's helped her tremendously! She jumps and runs and plays more because she's moving better. I'm not sure if you can get it in the UK or if there's an equivalent to it across the pond. You may be able to find it online and have it shipped to you.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They are pretty cats. I hope you can find something to help your cat with the mobility problem. It is hard when they start getting some years to see the changes they go through. But living to get old is better than the alternative. I wish you the best with your 12 yr. old cats.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My seniors aren't moving as fast anymore also. I would look into the above meds with your vets knowledge.

It is hard to see them slowing down. But we slow down too. I hope the meds help. They are lovely kitties.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be looking for a new vet! 12 is senior, sure but not that old, and if your vet isn't willing to help you ease her discomfort, find one who is.

Senior cats need a lot of special care, and a vet who doesn't show concern over arthritis pain, is not one I would be going back to.

As the others have said, cosequin for cats is an excellent supplement for cats suffering the stiffness and pain of arthritis.

Arthritis can cause a lot of other problems such as constipation and even UTIs.

This is because the pain and stiffness causes them to have trouble maneuvering and squatting in the litter box. It hurts to squat so they don't squat long enough. They start holding their poop and pee to avoid the pain of squatting.

In addition of course is the reduced activity level which will just make them stiffen up even worse.

Cosequin for cats is a supplement and a prescription is not required.

Yes you should always check with a vet before starting your pet on something, but like I said in the beginning, I'd be finding a new vet.

What kind of a vet is unconcerned with your cat's pain? No vet I'd be trusting my cats with, or giving my money to, that's for sure.

chick

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the very helpful info cuz my cat is 27 yrs old and the stiffness in her back legsis getting worse, she's was borderline diabetic the last time we checked and she constantly has uti's now it seems she's constipated when she has not or never really does eat much. Constantly trying different wet cat food (since she has no teeth) since she gets tired of her cat food often then we switch and she ll be fine for a little while then we have to switch again. She also has seizures when she hears any tapping noises or a plastic bags which the dr said there's nothing they could do about the seizures besides keeping her away from those type of noses which we do so they don't happen often.the main concern is her legs right now so thank u for the info cause i hate tosee her like that.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chick, I hope you see this. My cat has arthritis in her hips - most of her ball joints has been eaten away. I put her on an omega 3 supplement: NOW Neptune Krill Oil, 500mg. It has made a WORLD of difference in her mobility - and it happened quite quickly. I recommend including 500mg krill oil (just make sure it has no other additives if you don't use the NOW Neptune Krill Oil).