Getting stains out of berber carpet?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok...so I just bought my first condo...and wouldn't you know it...Tigger got sick and threw up all over the place (he's ok now). Of course my berber carpet is now stained and I'd like to find a product that works to remove stains. Someone suggested oxy clean....but I wanted to check with the board before I bought anything.

Katie

(owner of a slightly "used" berber carpet...
)

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been having the same problem, Katie. When I moved in to the duplex I rent, the carpet had been put in just days before, but it sure doesn't look like it now. I've tried Oxy Clean and Resolve, and neither have removed the stains. I sure hope someone has the solution for us!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We scrub ours with Simple Green.
It's a beige carpet, and the SG seems to do a pretty good job.
I've also, on occasion used Woolite carpet and upholstery cleaner with some success.

spotz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
With berber carpet, I always had the best luck with Cold[Ice Cold] Water and if the stain was persistent, some vinegar.

I've also had really good luck with my Bissell Little Green machine [small carpet cleaning machine], I suppose that similar devices would work well also.

Just remember, don't go overboard with the scrubbing, let the cleaners do the work, and blot/lift/suction the stain out.

Good luck,

Spotz

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Resolve "pet", but it takes a few applications over the course of a couple weeks for it to totally get stains out. I figured I could trust the brand to not ruin the carpet. Vinegar definitely works if you can get to it right away.

kimba67

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cat puke is one of the toughest "natural" stains to remove, especially those slimy, hairbally ones.

I have not dealt with berber before, but the following works pretty well on short pile carpet.

I've had best results on vomit stains using Simple Solution Stain and Odor Remover. Spray the stain and let it soak for a bit. Spray it once again and let is soak in a bit longer. Next, take a dry paper towel(s) and blot (Don't wipe!), the stain until it's barely damp. Now, use a baby wipe or towlette and scrub in the direction opposte to the pile grain of the carpet (I guess for berber, it may not matter). Use a dry paper towel once again using a half blotting, half scrubbing motion.

You may have to do this more than once, but the stain should eventually come out.

Good Luck.

javajane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here are some tips I found online that have worked for me.

Mix 1 tbsp. neutral detergent (mild, non-alkaline, non-bleaching) into 1 cup warm water.

Dribble the mixture onto the stain or odor area.

Blot the area with a clean, dry, white towel.

Mix 1/3 cup white vinegar with 2/3 cup water.

Dribble the mixture onto the stain or odor area.

Blot the area with a clean, dry, white towel.

Mix 1 tbsp. neutral detergent with 1 cup warm water.

Again dribble this mixture onto the stain or odor area.

Blot again with a clean, dry, white towel.

Dribble clean water onto the area.

Blot again with a clean, dry, white towel.

Tips:

serenasmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found that using a spray bottle with some water and Sunlight dish soap works wonders on kitty puke, and kitten urine on the carpet. It is small pile pile carpet, but I'd assume that this would work for beber, too.