Getting rid of the smell of cigarettes off my cat.

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need advice on how to get the stench of cigarettes smell from my cat's fur.
I already have used her cat brush. Waterless shampoo and pet wipes.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Would your cat accept a bath? If you're not sure, put them in the tub and wet them all over FIRST, before adding any shampoo, and see what their reaction is. The last thing you want is to pour shampoo all over your cat and then have them freak out once the water touches them, and now you're stuck trying to rinse shampoo off of a cat that's really upset.
If a bath isn't going to happen, I have actually done "mini baths" on my cats in minor emergencies. I lock them in a bathroom and use a soaked (aka dripping) hand towel full of clean water to pat them down after using the waterless shampoo and do my best to keep them on a thick towel to absorb the moisture. If they're cooperative, you can use several towels and kind of use a gentle "squeezing" motion to squeeze out any yuckies in their fur. It's nowhere near as good as a real bath but it does seem to help clean the coat. Towel dry the best you can, and keep them in a warm room (a small room with a safe space heater is preferred) until they dry completely. Some cats will accept being purrito'ed and having a human hair dryer (set on LOW/COOL) tucked under their purrito towel to help speed the drying process but YMMV.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for all the negative replies. I had neighbors that were smokers. Stunk up my bathroom and living room. I even bought a humidifier! Have you tried baking soda and water? Only tiny amount of bs. How bad is it? Does his breath smell or any respiratory health problems?

Last edited:

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cigarette smoke leaves a greasy film. This might be why it's not coming out. Add a drop of Regular Dawn Dishsoap to maggie101 maggie101 mixture. Be sure to rinse it off well.

Wash the brushes with Dawn also, so your not brushing it back onto her. It the smoking was going on in your house then your furniture, walls, windows, etc are all covered in it. Kitty rolling on smokey couch will smell like smoke again. Their natural oils could make the smell more obvious than it is on the couch.

Ask your vet what skunk treatment is safe for cats. Skunks also spray an oily substance.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This will clear up as soon as the cat is no longer exposed to smoke. I picked up a cat from the vet who'd just been removed from hoarders and castrated. He'd been living with some clan, kept in the dark and stank of tomcat, smoke and dirt. His white fur was yellow.
We cleaned him by rubbing him gently with a damp cloth to get rid of most of the grime but with fresh clean air he was soon presentable and ready to be introduced to people interested in giving him a new home. No bath, chemicals or other treatment were needed.