Getting new kitten, what's best?

Battonatto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have a 3 year old male Scottish fold, I'm planning to get a kitten soon, probably either another foldie or ragdoll. I was wondering if it would be better to get a female or male kitten? My cat still has to be neutered, but of course we'll get that in order before even considering another kitten. What's the best option to take?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi B Battonatto Welcome to TCS.

Three years old is kind of old for a cat to be neutered. I suggest you get him neutered as soon as you can and wait at least six months for his hormones to settle down before you think about introducing another cat. Male cats tend to spray to mark their territory and, if he isn't already spraying, a new cat could set him off. Neutering doesn't always prevent spraying of course, but the urine of an intact male cat is much more potent and smelly than that of one that has been fixed.

So much depends on the personality of the cats that whether the new kitten is male or female doesn't matter so much. You can make things go smoothly if you introduce them to each other very slowly. Here's a few articles that might help.

How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Bringing Home A New Cat – The Complete Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All my cats are either spayed or neutered but there’s still one male that tries to get with his sister. He was neutered November 2020

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two male cats were neutered as adults (supposedly, they were both about three, but I'm skeptical). They didn't have any problems.

It does take a while for the hormones to die down, and a recently fixed male that's sexually mature is reportedly still able to father kittens for up to a couple months.

My third cat is a fixed female (spayed as a kitten over two years ago) and one of the males still tries to mount her. I don't think they ever could have had kittens, though. He acts like he doesn't know what he's doing!

Have introduced both males and females to my other cats over the years. Seems it goes a little easier and faster when introducing males to males, though I've never had an introduction failure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Battonatto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys, is there an option to just spay the female and leave the male intact? Because he doesnt spray or show behavioural problems and I'm scared those WILL occur if we neuter him now.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never had any of those problems with males neutered as adults, either. I'd be more scared that he'd start spraying and be stressed if he didn't get spayed.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

Telstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys, is there an option to just spay the female and leave the male intact? Because he doesnt spray or show behavioural problems and I'm scared those WILL occur if we neuter him now.
He well may start right after you bring a female in his territory.

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have a 3 year old male Scottish fold, I'm planning to get a kitten soon, probably either another foldie or ragdoll. I was wondering if it would be better to get a female or male kitten? My cat still has to be neutered, but of course we'll get that in order before even considering another kitten. What's the best option to take?
I dont know the answer to your question, however please do not support those that breed scottish fold cats, theyre sick cats and people breed them for looks. You can adopt a scottish fold or at least one with scottish fold heritage but please dont buy one. A ragdoll would be a better choice if you want top buy a cat. Adopting a cat is better than buying one, and if you can adopt a senior / older cat, a cat with issues, a cat with dietary restrictions, a "weird looking" cat, or a cat missing a limb or eye or anything really would help the cat tons. Many adopt kittens but no one looks twice at the old or sick cat ):