Getting my kitten earlier than I planned and got some last minute questions

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Omg I'm about to pick up my kitten earlier than expected and I AM NOT READY. I am going to tell you what I am preparing for the weekend as I had to speed everything up and then over the following week I will complete my original ideal plan and post an update. I never thought I would care about a cat so much. I just feel so responsible for the kitten's wellbeing. This little fella depends on me to stay alive and be happy and I'm gonna make sure I do the best I can.

I was originally gonna wait until the kitten was 12 weeks old but the seller sold all of the litter-mates and overall the kitten will be better off with me rather than with her so I am picking him up this Saturday at 8.9 weeks and taking him to the vet 2 days later since the vet appointment is on Monday. I hope he doesn't have any fleas/parasites. I need him at my place so I can collect a stool sample and get him to start acclimating and like I said, he's not getting much more than the basics with her and apparently being with the cat mother is beneficial still but not nearly as much as being with the litter-mates so I got a advice from a few people on here saying it is safe to pick the kitten up now.

What is the best type of litter for a new kitten? I read that Clay litter is poisonous or just unhealthy for cats, is that true?

I can't afford the most expensive litter out there but I want to get something decent. I hope it doesn't track too much and keeps the smells contained as well as unscented.

I'm going to get a tote from walmart so I can bath the cat first thing as soon as I bring him to my place but maybe it's better to let him get comfortable for a few hours first. I just don't want to spread germs from another house all over my apartment so I want to wash everything off him asap with my Burt's Bees cat Shampoo.

I am buying a litter box enclosure (was going to build one but don't have time now, so I will likely build one later and switch if I prefer the one I built)

Gonna get a few toys for him to keep active and bond with me as well as a heating pad for him to warm up if he's cold.

I ordered a decent carrier and a fleece blanket to wrap him in when taking him to the vet.

Lastly I ordered a nice cat tree with some scratching posts. I also ordered sofa and mattress protectors. Hopefully he will not scratch my furniture. I know some of you are saying it will happen for sure but I have friends with cats who never touch the furniture in terms of scratching it.

I got a couple air purifiers and deodorizers to take care of the germs and smell. I have a great vacuum in case I need to clean up litter tracking and I will get a mat which will hopefully contain the litter to around the litter box enclosure.

Can you please tell me if I am forgetting something? Recommend the healthiest options to me please. Not just for the kitten but for me as well.

For example, I wanted to get Feliway (cat pheromones) to spray in some areas and keep the cat away from them in terms of scratching and rubbing all over but then realized it's probably not healthy for human to smell it all day just like unnatural perfumes and colognes aren't healthy. They say it's fine for cats, I guess it is.

As for catnip, I don't think it affects them until they're at least 6 months old.

Jean Howard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! It looks like youre doing a great job with this plan, and I have a few pointers!

First, a litterbox enclosure may not be the best bet. Im assuming you only have this one cat, so this may not be an issue considering he has a cat tower and scratching post, but have an entrance to guard at the litterbox may encourage spraying as it gives them something to protect. You can give it a go if you think this wont be an issue, but it might be something to keep in mind!

Secondly, I hear Grass seed cat litter is the best, but it tracks quite a lot, so that mat and vacuum would come in handy. It's also a little bit pricey, but not incredibly so.

Im certainly no expert, but these are just things Ive heard! Good luck to you and your new furbaby!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since he's so young you'll have to modify litterbox expectations. At that age they're like small children---when they realize they have to go, they have to go NOW, they aren't going to go in another room to find the litterbox. So have a lot of small litterboxes in various places, and don't use the litterbox enclosure yet. I know you probably don't want litterboxes all over, but it's ok; it's just for a few weeks. It's better than him getting used to going on the floor, you're building good habits. You can use cat food cardboard trays, just snitch a few empties from the pet food aisle the next time you go shopping.

There are of course a million different opinions about clay litter. Lots of people use it though. You have to decide what you and the cat are most comfortable with. But don't use clumping clay litter at this age.

It's ok to bathe him as soon as you get home, but small kittens must be dried very thoroughly. I'm not sure what you mean by using a tote. . .I just bathe kittens in the sink under running water, no submerging. Let the shampoo sit for several minutes before rinsing to suffocate any fleas that may be present.

You can't prepare for everything, sometimes you just have to jump into the deep end. But I think you'll manage :D.

czuva

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also brought home a kitten recently, so this is from my experience. Generally the advice is to keep as many things familiar as possible, since it will be stressful for kitten to be leaving home and going to a completely new place. Add to it that this your kitten is coming home a bit younger than ideal, so keeping things the same (at least for a little while) will help him adjust.

1. Litter: use whatever the breeder currently uses at least for a week or so. Then slowly change over to whatever your chosen litter is. I mixed a bit of new litter with the old and gradually increased it.

2. Avoid having too many deodorizers with strong smells, especially near the litterbox. Strong scents bother cats’ sensitive noses, and putting too many near the litterbox may turn your kitten off using it (and he’ll pick your carpet instead). I put my litterbox in an area with a window, so I can open for ventilation. I also have some odor absorbing gel beads a bit distant from litterbox—they’re less strongly scented.

3. Get pet safe wipes and/or pet safe soap. As others have mentioned, kittens are messy and haven’t quite mastered litterbox hygiene, so you’ll probably be cleaning him up a bit. My kitten came home at 13 weeks and still stepped in her poo all the time and had to be wiped almost constantly after litterbox usage.

4. Feliway is a good idea for reducing anxiety or stress of new environment.

5. Be extra careful to not play with him using your hands/feet, as he’s a bit young and may not have figured out how to play safely yet without his littermates/other cats

czuva

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, also get him to the vet with a stool sample ASAP, and be very careful about sanitation in the meantime. Kittens often have parasites/worms that can be tricky to eradicate, so until you’re 100% sure kitten is parasite free from the vet, make sure you clean up any poo on surfaces/fabrics using proper disinfectants!

My kitten ended up testing positive a week after coming home for giardia, so there was a week where I hadn’t been as diligent about cleaning before we knew she had it.

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At 8 weeks he should be out of the stage where he might try to eat the litter. A cheap, non-clumping, non-perfume is what I’d use at this age.
I agree with the others, no rush on that litterbox hut. He needs the litterbox to be where he is spending his time. He may or may not prefer the privacy of a cover. In time you can move it into a hut.
What kind of heating pad? If it isn’t pet safe don’t use it. They can get over heated. At 4 weeks they start self regulating their temperature.
Go ahead and bath him. He’ll be just fine. You may not be depending how much of a ninja he is. Have towels ready. Wash any scratches you get with soap. Cat scratch fever is real.
Did you set up a kitten proof room for him to start out in? To get used to his new home?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me you have most everything covered, I agree with that for now just several litter boxes setting around so he can find one quick. Cardboard flats work well. Use non clumping litter for now, kittens have a habit of eating litter, and clumping litter is dangerous if they eat it. A good kitten food is needed, there are many, feed often and as much as they will eat up to a year old. Get a corrugated cardboard cat scratcher at Walmart, he will leave your couch alone then. They also have goats milk ( in the cold milk department) or kitten replacement milk in the pet food isle of you want to give milk, NO cows milk. A pet heat pad is much loved, but I'll bet he'll want to sleep with you. You'll do fine, all the luck, I'm so happy for you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there! It looks like youre doing a great job with this plan, and I have a few pointers!

First, a litterbox enclosure may not be the best bet. Im assuming you only have this one cat, so this may not be an issue considering he has a cat tower and scratching post, but have an entrance to guard at the litterbox may encourage spraying as it gives them something to protect. You can give it a go if you think this wont be an issue, but it might be something to keep in mind!

Secondly, I hear Grass seed cat litter is the best, but it tracks quite a lot, so that mat and vacuum would come in handy. It's also a little bit pricey, but not incredibly so.

Im certainly no expert, but these are just things Ive heard! Good luck to you and your new furbaby!
Thank you for reassuring me!

I did learn about the spraying at the entrance to a litter box when it is enclosed (from Jackson Galaxy) but I wanted to keep that nasty filth inside the box and feel like this will help and hopefully since it is only one cat and I can spray the box with pheromones and give hi enough stimulation through play and love; that way he won't feel the need to be territorial with his box.

For the first week or two I will probably keep it as a simple tray so he can easily get to it as soon as necessary and not have to walk through a maze to get to it but hopefully once I do upgrade to an enclosure, he will not be confused and like it even more. I know they usually like their own small spaces.

I appreciate the suggestions for the litter but yeah if it tracks a lot, I prefer to find something else.

I value your assistance, thank you so much!

Since he's so young you'll have to modify litterbox expectations. At that age they're like small children---when they realize they have to go, they have to go NOW, they aren't going to go in another room to find the litterbox. So have a lot of small litterboxes in various places, and don't use the litterbox enclosure yet. I know you probably don't want litterboxes all over, but it's ok; it's just for a few weeks. It's better than him getting used to going on the floor, you're building good habits. You can use cat food cardboard trays, just snitch a few empties from the pet food aisle the next time you go shopping.

There are of course a million different opinions about clay litter. Lots of people use it though. You have to decide what you and the cat are most comfortable with. But don't use clumping clay litter at this age.

It's ok to bathe him as soon as you get home, but small kittens must be dried very thoroughly. I'm not sure what you mean by using a tote. . .I just bathe kittens in the sink under running water, no submerging. Let the shampoo sit for several minutes before rinsing to suffocate any fleas that may be present.

You can't prepare for everything, sometimes you just have to jump into the deep end. But I think you'll manage :D.
Yeah I was actually worried that might be the case in terms of the enclosure (cause then when I introduce him to it it might be a process since it is not what he is used to anymore) but yeah I will try to keep it simple. I don't know if I will just get a totally open tray but I might. I don't know anyone who had more than 1 or 2 litter boxes in their house and I was suggested to just leave the food next to the litter box and hopefully it would know to go there. I really hope I am right about it and not find bathroom related accidents in my apartment. What if I lay some pee pads? Maybe it will still feel like he is going on the floor and get used to it... Maybe 2 litter boxes are a good idea. Then again when I get rid of the extras, he might still want to go in those areas and will just do it on the wall/floor. I need to consider this...

I am still trying to decide which litter I am going with. I found these top results in PetSmart, let me know what you think (last link is from Amazon which was recommended by a friend with 3 cats):

Top reviewed - Unscented

Top reviewed - Unscented - Multiple Cats (will it work even better since I only have one cat?)

Top reviewed - Lavender Scent - I heard you should not get anything scented as cat's scent is about 14 times stronger than ours and it drives them nuts

Reclaimed Natural Wood Litter - It's great that it's natural but there is a cancer warning so kind of contradicting itself. I want to love this one but not sure how effective it will be.

I like the Feature List of this one. I wonder if it really is better to use Baking Soda rather than Clay and whether it does contain the odors that well for a week and is dust free

Seems to be one of the best - Clumps well, Dust free, Odor control and apparently good for training cats to use it. Check out the reviews and features if you don't mind. Seems impressive

Seems to be an all around good litter. Ammonia Blocker for 14 days, Clumps better and apparently much lighter and dust free.

I also brought home a kitten recently, so this is from my experience. Generally the advice is to keep as many things familiar as possible, since it will be stressful for kitten to be leaving home and going to a completely new place. Add to it that this your kitten is coming home a bit younger than ideal, so keeping things the same (at least for a little while) will help him adjust.

1. Litter: use whatever the breeder currently uses at least for a week or so. Then slowly change over to whatever your chosen litter is. I mixed a bit of new litter with the old and gradually increased it.

2. Avoid having too many deodorizers with strong smells, especially near the litterbox. Strong scents bother cats’ sensitive noses, and putting too many near the litterbox may turn your kitten off using it (and he’ll pick your carpet instead). I put my litterbox in an area with a window, so I can open for ventilation. I also have some odor absorbing gel beads a bit distant from litterbox—they’re less strongly scented.

3. Get pet safe wipes and/or pet safe soap. As others have mentioned, kittens are messy and haven’t quite mastered litterbox hygiene, so you’ll probably be cleaning him up a bit. My kitten came home at 13 weeks and still stepped in her poo all the time and had to be wiped almost constantly after litterbox usage.

4. Feliway is a good idea for reducing anxiety or stress of new environment.

5. Be extra careful to not play with him using your hands/feet, as he’s a bit young and may not have figured out how to play safely yet without his littermates/other cats
I agree I need to slowly acclimate him to my place in every way possible but I find it hard to follow what the seller did because she just went for the cheapest crap and it is one of the reasons I am snatching him from there asap. I will just try certain tricks like spraying pheromones around the litter box if that will help or maybe that's worse... I will leave the food next to it so it's RIGHT THERE for him and hopefully he will go there when he needs to. Lastly, I will keep it out of an enclosure and probably get one which isn't too large for him to easily climb in and out. Hopefully in terms of the litter box this will be enough to keep him satisfied and with time I will upgrade certain things.

As far as cat's sense of smell, I am aware of it and totally agree with you. The deodorizer I got is more like an Ionizer/Air Purifier. It kills germs in the air and eliminates odor rather than mask it. I don't think it will bother the cat. Tons of good reviews.

Oh my thank you for letting me know about the wipes. I got Burt's Bees Kitten Shampoo to bath him as soon as I bring him home to kill off anything he might have picked up at the seller's place and make him officially mine. I wonder if it is safe to keep the shampoo on him for a good 3 minutes. Isn't that bad for their skin? Will it be okay if I just do that a couple of times to make sure it's clean? I mean it will climb into my bed and stuff (I hope it won't go number 1/2 there lol but I bought a mattress protector)

Okay so it looks like everyone is okay with Feliway. I was a little concerned about the chemicals in it and how long they will LINGER in my apartment after having it sprayed. Maybe I will just spray each corner once and that will be good enough. I am not sure I want to spray the furniture but I might have to. I have a black light flashlight so I will be investigating if it peed in places it wasn't supposed to.

Yeah I learned it's best to use toys for play time and only use hands/fingers when petting. Gotta teach him how to play nice. I really wish they all picked up their kittens at 10 weeks at least. I am sorry but I had to get him out of there. He is not really getting much there. I am afraid how clueless the seller is and while she tries, I don't know how invested she is. At least I waited MORE than the 8 week mark.

Thank you so much for your time!

Oh, also get him to the vet with a stool sample ASAP, and be very careful about sanitation in the meantime. Kittens often have parasites/worms that can be tricky to eradicate, so until you’re 100% sure kitten is parasite free from the vet, make sure you clean up any poo on surfaces/fabrics using proper disinfectants!

My kitten ended up testing positive a week after coming home for giardia, so there was a week where I hadn’t been as diligent about cleaning before we knew she had it.
Definitely. That is one of the reasons I am picking him up 2 days prior to the Vet appointment. I wanted to acclimate him and bond at least a little as well as follow his routine/behavior pattern (although he probably won't really have one set in place right away) and lastly get a stool sample. Hopefully I will be able to obtain one by Monday at 5pm. Is a Ziplock bag okay to use as a container for the stool sample?

I am worried I won't even know WHAT to clean since I can't keep following him all day/night but I will clean the surfaces which matter most all the time and keep my bathroom and bedroom door closed. I am just not sure if he will have an separation anxiety attack due to not being able to reach me at night which will lead to poor health and him peeing/pooping all over the place let alone scratching everything.

At 8 weeks he should be out of the stage where he might try to eat the litter. A cheap, non-clumping, non-perfume is what I’d use at this age.
I agree with the others, no rush on that litterbox hut. He needs the litterbox to be where he is spending his time. He may or may not prefer the privacy of a cover. In time you can move it into a hut.
What kind of heating pad? If it isn’t pet safe don’t use it. They can get over heated. At 4 weeks they start self regulating their temperature.
Go ahead and bath him. He’ll be just fine. You may not be depending how much of a ninja he is. Have towels ready. Wash any scratches you get with soap. Cat scratch fever is real.
Did you set up a kitten proof room for him to start out in? To get used to his new home?
Yeah he will be about 8.9 weeks old when I pick him up. I am aware why scented is best and I agree but how come non-clumping? Is that a MUST?

I will definitely wait with the hut and get an open style one without a cover even let alone a flap. I will make sure it is low to the ground too like they have for senior cats. To make it as effortless as possible. There are many Low step litter boxes with high walls around it to contain the litter.

I heard about the towels and scratch fever. I hope he will be okay with the bath. Oddly enough the seller said he was super friendly when the other 4 new owners showed up to pick up their cats and went into each of their cat carrier cages and chilled in there. Hopefully he is an easy cat haha.

I am kind of put off by letting him touch my sink (I never had cats or dogs so it grosses me out still) I wanted to get a large plastic tote and wash him in it so it's like his personal tub. How long can I let the shampoo linger on him? It is not a flea treatment but I am sure it will still kill whatever is on him if I keep it on him for 5 minutes as whatever it is will probably suffocate.

I am kitten proofing the apartment and you can read my extensive thread on it, I just posted it a couple of days ago. I will tell you the basics. I am removing anything which can be knocked off a high spot and placing it in a cupboard but I still don't have anything to keep them locked. I put away all chemicals and I am getting cat scratchers and a heat pad as well as a cat tree and toys to keep him busy and comfortable. I am also going to spray around A LITTLE with Feliway so hopefully that helps. I have security cameras in place and I am getting furniture covers as well as a waterproof mattress protector.

I am not sure how to protect my $700 gaming chair and my music studio but I will probably just put everything away in a closet every time I finish using my laptop and MIDI keyboard as well as microphone, audio interface and Hard Drives. At some point I will get some plastic boxes and place everything in it on the desk and hopefully that will be enough to keep the cat from sitting on stuff and maybe even going number 1/2 on it or knocking it off the desk.

I am also going to do some cable management and use cable protectors so he doesn't chew on them but some parts will still be visible. I am not sure what to do with my toaster and gridler as well as my kettle and Brita filter. Hopefully he won't find that area intriguing and stay away from my kitchen lol.

I am not nearly done. I have a big plan for how I will make this a kitten/cat safe zone but I will always accept new ideas from you pros.

It sounds to me you have most everything covered, I agree with that for now just several litter boxes setting around so he can find one quick. Cardboard flats work well. Use non clumping litter for now, kittens have a habit of eating litter, and clumping litter is dangerous if they eat it. A good kitten food is needed, there are many, feed often and as much as they will eat up to a year old. Get a corrugated cardboard cat scratcher at Walmart, he will leave your couch alone then. They also have goats milk ( in the cold milk department) or kitten replacement milk in the pet food isle of you want to give milk, NO cows milk. A pet heat pad is much loved, but I'll bet he'll want to sleep with you. You'll do fine, all the luck, I'm so happy for you!
Thank you!!! Okay so both you and Willowy suggested multiple litter boxes and I am not loving the idea but I trust you good people. I just hope he won't throw a tantrum when I remove them after a month.... Do they all need to have the same amount of litter in them? I guess I will see which ones he uses the most and understand that is most likely his favorite spot and make that the official area once the month is up.

I was wondering why people said not to use clumping litter, thank you for explaining. I think I will go for this one then for the first little while but then the fear is that it will get used to it and not want to use the new one after:

Reclaimed Natural Wood Litter - It's great that it's natural but there is a cancer warning so kind of contradicting itself. I want to love this one but not sure how effective it will be.

I originally wanted to get this one:

Top reviewed - Unscented

I learned that cat's are actually lactose intolerant but I think I did hear Jackson Galaxy say that if you must, Goat Milk is the best. I am not sure why I would want to give him milk but if you think it's a good idea, I will go for it.

I didn't know I have to feed him so often, oh wow that will be expensive but I love feeding cats and dogs so I will enjoy it. I think he especially needs it since I don't think she was feeding him enough.

The Dry food I CHOSE - Short list but everything is real, high quality and grain-free.
The Dry food I almost chose - Notice the long tempting list of great things your cat will get

The Wet food I CHOSE

I will get a few corrugated cardboard cat scratchers for sure and place them next to the sofa/recliner/bed so when it has the need, he goes for those instead.

I will also get him this one and place it near my bed:
Omega Paw Ripple Board Scratch'n Massage Kitty Bed Bundle

I hope everything goes as planned honestly. I am doing my best and when I see that my best isn't good enough I improve myself by researching.

Thank you very much!

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Usually they recommend non-clumping litter for kittens under 4 months because they have small GI tracts (and tend to explore the world with their mouths!) and clumping litter expands when it touches moisture, so if a small kitten eats a big bite of clumping litter it can potentially cause a blockage. Clay litter isn’t poisonous to cats though, it’s fine.

After ~4 months you can switch to clumping which makes it much easier to scoop!

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The biggest issue for kitten proofing are cords and strings. Cords are obvious because it ruins your expensive equipment and could give your kitten a shock, especially during the teething stage (starting at about 4 months). Strings... things they can get on their tongues and can’t get off. Cat tongue are designed that way. You sound hyper aware of your environment so I doubt it’s a problem. Just don’t rip off a string off your shirt and absentmindedly toss it aside. And when Christmas comes no tinsel. Other weird things that are like string: wall insulation. Relax. You’re going to do great. It’s a furry baby and you’ll learn together. Lots of play to help siphon off some energy.

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh!
house plants.
some are completely benign. Some are good. And some are terrible.
Lilies are terribly toxic.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly I always recommend a pair of kittens, especially so young single kitten syndrome can be a thing. Glad to see your doing a lot of planning, too bad the seller is not a good one (I hope they fix the mom) and got rid of the kittens so early. If you can adopt a 2nd one honestly I would recommend it. I would also check out Pam johnson bennet and Jackson galaxy youtube videos for loads more info :)

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Usually they recommend non-clumping litter for kittens under 4 months because they have small GI tracts (and tend to explore the world with their mouths!) and clumping litter expands when it touches moisture, so if a small kitten eats a big bite of clumping litter it can potentially cause a blockage. Clay litter isn’t poisonous to cats though, it’s fine.

After ~4 months you can switch to clumping which makes it much easier to scoop!
Oh wow. Yeah so I think I decided on the one I like the most:

Purina Yesterday's News Unscented Non-Clumping Cat Litter - (1) 30 lb. Bag - I am not sure how often you should replace it though. Different responses from everyone.

Some people say they COMPLETLEY replace it nightly as the urine turns the pellets into dust and it sinks to the bottom of the pile and the poop is easy to scoop out. Some people say it last months but most say it last 1-2 months at most with 1 cat. Anyone has any experience with this brand?

Looks like I will need to buy this one at least twice. This is PRICEY. If my cat gets used to this luxury, I am pretty much screwed financially in terms of litter lol. I want to give it something good and this is good for me too in terms of how natural it is but my oh my it is pricey.

I want to switch to this one in 4 months then:

World's Best Cat Litter - Clumping Formula

Seems like the best cat litter out there literally (some reviews really contradict the good one but I will go with the 95% lol. If it doesn't work for me I will keep on searching but something tells me that one is good and it's natural so that's great. Maybe I can still continue getting the non clumping Purina one which is quite pricey and just sprinkle it in there every time I replace it.

I am thinking about getting this litter pan with a sifting tray which hopefully will help the non clumping litter last as the dirt crumbles and sinks to the bottom

Arm & Hammer 42036 Large Sifting Litter Pan - I am probably gonna keep this one when I get my litter box enclosure as well.

Thank you for your comment!

The biggest issue for kitten proofing are cords and strings. Cords are obvious because it ruins your expensive equipment and could give your kitten a shock, especially during the teething stage (starting at about 4 months). Strings... things they can get on their tongues and can’t get off. Cat tongue are designed that way. You sound hyper aware of your environment so I doubt it’s a problem. Just don’t rip off a string off your shirt and absentmindedly toss it aside. And when Christmas comes no tinsel. Other weird things that are like string: wall insulation. Relax. You’re going to do great. It’s a furry baby and you’ll learn together. Lots of play to help siphon off some energy.
Yes and I have quite a few chords but they are normally in ONE area so I can just bunch them together and cover them up with a proper thick plastic cover. It's a huge nuisance but I chose to get a kitten so it has to be done. I am happy I will have better cable management to be honest.

Yeah I watch Jackson Galaxy's videos religiously and he warned kitten owners and even adult cat owners about the same stuff. I will be careful!

Yeah I am super aware and extremely OCD about things like that so I think I will do real well ESPECIALLY since I got through The Cat Site academy lol. You people are true TRUE gems!

Oh!
house plants.
some are completely benign. Some are good. And some are terrible.
Lilies are terribly toxic.
Good call but I am already aware of that risk but still as always THANK YOU for being diligent!

Honestly I always recommend a pair of kittens, especially so young single kitten syndrome can be a thing. Glad to see your doing a lot of planning, too bad the seller is not a good one (I hope they fix the mom) and got rid of the kittens so early. If you can adopt a 2nd one honestly I would recommend it. I would also check out Pam johnson bennet and Jackson galaxy youtube videos for loads more info :)
I honestly would get two if I could get them from the same litter but they were already sold. That way I wouldn't care if the other ones were sold cause I would keep both together until 12 weeks and pick them up. I am not sure how much I want a black cat but they were all black except my grey one haha. I a planning on getting another cat but this time from either a reputable breeder or a rescue but I will need a couple of months to decide. I know it is a SIMILAR financial expense at the end of the day ESPECIALLY since the cats will be mentally healthier and most likely require LESS vet visits but still I like in a 600sf apartment and I am rather busy (yes they keep each other company which contradicts what I say but I still have to take care of TWO cats now). I will do my best to bring another cat in and now that it is from a different litter and later on, I am risking destroying my apartment/furniture and stuff as well as a process of introducing them which MIGHT be tough as it doesn't always go as planned but if I do decide on it, I will be as ready as possible,

The seller is quite a nice girl but SOMETIMES I don't trust what she says or feel that she acts abnormally... It might be just the protective side of me and I could be completely wrong about her but STILL she is fairly clueless and I was told that just having the cat mother around is still beneficial but no where nearly as beneficial as having the litter-mates.

She acts as if she is super grateful and follows my advice but I feel like she might be following it 50%-50% or at least not a full100%. Once again I am only speculating but usually my gut feeling is right.

Most people I know got their kittens when they were 8 weeks old and mine will be 9 weeks old. All of those kittens developed into majestic cats and have a proper temperament. I feel like unless something is terribly wrong, I will be perfectly fine with my new first kitten.

I am going to suggest spaying her cat to her. I normally present awful facts to her which is a strategy that worked in the past. I scared her into getting better food (explained about brain development and overall development as well as crystals forming in cats) and she seemed to follow it (mind you I bought the first 12 wet medium size cat food and amazing large grain free kibble) but I feel like I did a good deed.

I follow Jackson Galaxy RELIGIOUSLY as I discovered him recently and I am going to look into some info on pam Johnson Bennett.

Thank you for this awesome comment.[/QUOTE]

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
don't know anyone who had more than 1 or 2 litter boxes in their house and I was suggested to just leave the food next to the litter box and hopefully it would know to go there.
It's just while he's small, when he's grown you can stick with one or two boxes.

Also, most cats don't like to eat near where they eliminate. Try to keep the food dishes at least somewhat separate from the potty areas.
I wonder if it is safe to keep the shampoo on him for a good 3 minutes.
Yep, that's fine. The main problem is keeping a tiny wiggly kitten still that long, lol.
I am kind of put off by letting him touch my sink (I never had cats or dogs so it grosses me out still)
Cats get everywhere, including sinks. I hope this doesn't make you too anxious. I just don't like dipping cats back into the dirty/soapy water which is why I prefer running water.
I just hope he won't throw a tantrum when I remove them after a month.... Do they all need to have the same amount of litter in them? I guess I will see which ones he uses the most and understand that is most likely his favorite spot and make that the official area once the month is up.
Once you see that he's going out of his way to go to a different box than the closest one, then you know he's developed enough bladder/bowel control to start removing the extra boxes. Do it gradually, and you shouldn't have any trouble.

I don't think non-clay clumping litters are bad for kittens, just the clay ones. So you should be able to go directly to World's Best if you want. But if you want to use Yesterday's News for a while, that's fine too. Sometimes Amazon doesn't have the best prices so see what Petsmart is charging, or if your local grocery store carries it. Yesterday's News is quite inexpensive here in the US; I used it for my ferrets, it was like $7 for a 15-pound bag at the grocery store at the time. It's fairly lightweight so a 30-bag is HUGE. It's not terrific at odor control but it's not terrible either.

Oh, yeah, see, the price at Petsmart isn't bad at all, even in Canada, Amazon just doesn't want to ship it, probably.
Purina® Yesterday's News® Cat Litter | cat Litter | PetSmart

I don't recommend Tidy Cats lightweight at all; it sticks to the litterbox terribly.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate that Tidy Cats lightweight! It must not absorb quickly cause my cats got urine all over their feet and tracked white footprints all over my hardwood floors! I had to mop daily!
Kittens that young would benefit from some goat's milk for a month or two, it is expensive but lasts a long time since you don't use much. Give it slightly warmed. Mamas wean them, but still let them nurse once in a while, up to 4-5 months! I've seen these huge kittens from the first litter nursing alongside the tiny ones.
He might need to be carried to the litterbox after eating for a few days, just to get him used to the idea. Make sure not to clean too well after he goes, leave a little in the box. He will smell it and know he has to go there. The first few days he will cry a lot, he will be missing his mama. It might be some sleepless nights. That is normal. Just call him and comfort him. At that age they are pretty fearless so he will be into and on top of everything, their energy is endless, and then they sleep just as hard!

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's just while he's small, when he's grown you can stick with one or two boxes.

Also, most cats don't like to eat near where they eliminate. Try to keep the food dishes at least somewhat separate from the potty areas.

Yep, that's fine. The main problem is keeping a tiny wiggly kitten still that long, lol.

Cats get everywhere, including sinks. I hope this doesn't make you too anxious. I just don't like dipping cats back into the dirty/soapy water which is why I prefer running water.

Once you see that he's going out of his way to go to a different box than the closest one, then you know he's developed enough bladder/bowel control to start removing the extra boxes. Do it gradually, and you shouldn't have any trouble.

I don't think non-clay clumping litters are bad for kittens, just the clay ones. So you should be able to go directly to World's Best if you want. But if you want to use Yesterday's News for a while, that's fine too. Sometimes Amazon doesn't have the best prices so see what Petsmart is charging, or if your local grocery store carries it. Yesterday's News is quite inexpensive here in the US; I used it for my ferrets, it was like $7 for a 15-pound bag at the grocery store at the time. It's fairly lightweight so a 30-bag is HUGE. It's not terrific at odor control but it's not terrible either.

Oh, yeah, see, the price at Petsmart isn't bad at all, even in Canada, Amazon just doesn't want to ship it, probably.
Purina® Yesterday's News® Cat Litter | cat Litter | PetSmart

I don't recommend Tidy Cats lightweight at all; it sticks to the litterbox terribly.
So I read on here and I was also recommended by a woman with 12 cats who works at a pet store to confine the kitten in a room design for him. While I don't have that option, I came up with an insanely amazing and even better alternative. This way I get to keep the ONE litter box and teach and WHERE it is and also keep my place and myself clean until he is ready for the vet in a couple of days when I booked my appointment.

I live in a condo and once you enter my apartment there is a closet on the right side which then turns into a wall and on the left it's a wall as well. That is a 9FT hallway which then on the left opens into a kitchen and if you don't turn left to the kitchen and walk another 2FT you will be at the entrance of my living room.

I decided rather containing him in my bedroom which is not sanitary since he was not checked by a vet yet nor close to his food/water or litter box; get a pet gate and confine him to that awesome hallway with TILE FLOORING so I don't care if he has accidents cause I will clean it up when I find it and it will be gone. While I am sure he will still be able to smell it which is great cause it will make him feel safer there. It is also where I was planning to set the litter box ANYWAY. He will learn it is there and he will have plenty of room to play around and I will spend a lot of time with him by moving a portable desk next to him and doing everything on that side of the apartment so he doesn't feel neglected. I will also sleep in the living room and move the sofa bed close to him so he doesn't feel alone but I will probably get 0 sleep with him meowing non-stop (most likely). I feel like this is cruel on one hand but necessary and also will help him toughen up so he doesn't develop separation anxiety down the road as I will give him plenty of attention but not let him do whatever he wants off the bat. Tell me if my logic makes sense. Who knows, he might have flees/parasites/worms... I don't think it is safe to let him roam the kingdom just yet, let alone this gives me a couple of days to kitten proof the rest of the house.

I am going to get this from Home Depot:
Cable Management Sleeves with Free Cable Clips and ties (118 inches) - For my sensitive cables which need to be covered before they reach the floor and either fed into something else or I will just have to get more of these but my oh my they are PRICEY.
5 PVC Floor Cord Protector in Ivory (60") - For bulky cables which reach the floor and fit behind a desk/sofa.
HYDROMAXX1/2 in. I.D. x 3/4 in. O.D. x 100 ft. Crystal Clear Flexible Non-Toxic, BPA Free Vinyl Tubing - Hopefully this will help me protect some cables like my chargers etc (whatever feeds through) if it doesn't feed through, I can cut it up and re-seal it with hot glue if that is ok for the cat if he might lick it or bite into it.

Here is my Amazon order from last night :hellocomputer:

1614308661249.png

1614308740456.png

Here is my PetSmart purchase from today

1614309012732.png

I still need to get a few more things that is FOR SURE but I got everything the I needed to have ASAP and I will get the litter box tomorrow from another store in town. I learned quite a bit about the fancy ones and why it is better to go with a simple one and later at most have it enclosed but depending on the situation.

I will definitely keep the food/water/litter box in different spots (I heard that even the water should not be next to the food apparently but that is fine I will get him a water fountain (as soon as I find one which doesn't mold lol). For now I will get whisker-friendly bowls and put them on separate corners of the hallway with the litter box being in between.

I decided AGAINST washing him or even using a water free formula. This little fella is already going to be going through a storm of emotions, without me waterboarding him lol..... Honestly I was reluctant from the beginning and found a better solutions. I found a nice lady who will trim his nails for me since I don't know how yet and help me look for fleas prior to taking him home. Then I will keep him contained and everything will be fine and dandy and when he acclimates I will give him a bath (hopefully he will be okay with it after the Vet visit)

I agree that I should wash him in the sink. I just need to get over the OCD part. I mean think about it. I am not wrong to think they are dirty. They walk inside their.... deposits lol. Sure they clean themselves but still. I don't want my hygienic spots to have any cat on it BUT I know I signed that waiver when I decided to have a cat so it will be an interesting transformation. There are ways to deter cats from certain areas but I will try positive methods by creating WAY awesomer spots that he wouldn't want to be anywhere else... We will see how well that works.

I went to PetSmart and got a HUGE 30lbs bag of Yesterday's News (I was going to get 2 but my oh my that is a lot, especially since it is paper litter so it fits more on the bag) so while 30lbs is still 30lbs, there is a lot more of it haha. I found a couple other great buys from PetSmart which is walking distance from the my condo but I will try to subscribe to the right stuff from Amazon and have it DELIVERED to my doorstep (more like concierge haha) and get that awesome 15% off on top of their occasional sales.

I am definitely going to do my best to transition to World's Best as soon as this one runs out. Hopefully he will like both of them and I won't have any accidents. I also found some awesome cleaners; Jackson Galaxy also has a great couple of options. I am so excited I cannot put it in words. :hyper:

I hate that Tidy Cats lightweight! It must not absorb quickly cause my cats got urine all over their feet and tracked white footprints all over my hardwood floors! I had to mop daily!
Kittens that young would benefit from some goat's milk for a month or two, it is expensive but lasts a long time since you don't use much. Give it slightly warmed. Mamas wean them, but still let them nurse once in a while, up to 4-5 months! I've seen these huge kittens from the first litter nursing alongside the tiny ones.
He might need to be carried to the litterbox after eating for a few days, just to get him used to the idea. Make sure not to clean too well after he goes, leave a little in the box. He will smell it and know he has to go there. The first few days he will cry a lot, he will be missing his mama. It might be some sleepless nights. That is normal. Just call him and comfort him. At that age they are pretty fearless so he will be into and on top of everything, their energy is endless, and then they sleep just as hard!
Wow Tidy Cats has a bad rep ah? I looked into getting goat's milk and I think if it will help him grow healthier and stronger I will feed it to him from a bottle if that is okay and if not then I will leave a little in a bowl next to his water. I still see a lot of sources which say NOT to do that but some which say that RAW Goat Milk is healthy for cats.

Check out my comment to Wilowy. I think you will love my strategy! I will be sure not to clean all the urine but take the poop out. He is so happy right now from the videos I see. Tough to believe he will be the opposite but it also makes sense cause he is happy THERE right now. I still feel that he will know that HERE is way better and acclimate almost immediately.

Luckily I was smart to do this over the weekend so I don't have to sleep much since I am not working on weekends. I will sit by his side and hopefully he will climb into my lap (I will have a blanky on me and I will get him an awesome Woobie so he has that special toy he finds comforting) Once he falls asleep I will lay him in his bed or on his heat-pad and hopefully he let's me go or maybe I will sleep with him in there and just change my clothes after. I honestly want to be careful as I am allergic to cats lol. I need him to go to the vet first before I know I can have him all over me and my place.

Yeah I am getting anxiety from thinking how I have to change up the MOJO of my place so he doesn't mess it up but I got me a new special roommate who has specific needs and the good he will bring into my life and hopefully my family's life is worth a lifestyle change. Who knows? I might like it better.

The seller sent me a video of how they were climbing all over the place and playing with each other on her bed until 5-10 minutes later they were OUT. Like drunken men who just passed out after a night of partying lol.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Confining him when you can't watch him is a good idea, but I'd recommend letting him out when you're home. Also be prepared that at his age he may be able to climb or jump over a pet gate.

I like the black top and light teal top regular Tidy Cats, but the lightweight Tidy Cats is just. . .gooey, lol. Maybe they'll perfect the formula someday.

So far everything looks good! I think you've got this figured out. Those are really nice scratching posts. . .I have a few. Very sturdy and cats tend to like the woven sisal.

Petsmart delivers free through DoorDash if you don't feel like carrying the stuff yourself! If you live somewhere with DoorDash of course. But if you live that close to Petsmart you probably have DoorDash too.

I'm not sure he'll take a bottle at this age, I think a small dish of goat's milk would be fine.

If you have allergies, stock up on Zyrtec! Haha. I couldn't live without it.

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Confining him when you can't watch him is a good idea, but I'd recommend letting him out when you're home. Also be prepared that at his age he may be able to climb or jump over a pet gate.

I like the black top and light teal top regular Tidy Cats, but the lightweight Tidy Cats is just. . .gooey, lol. Maybe they'll perfect the formula someday.

So far everything looks good! I think you've got this figured out. Those are really nice scratching posts. . .I have a few. Very sturdy and cats tend to like the woven sisal.

Petsmart delivers free through DoorDash if you don't feel like carrying the stuff yourself! If you live somewhere with DoorDash of course. But if you live that close to Petsmart you probably have DoorDash too.

I'm not sure he'll take a bottle at this age, I think a small dish of goat's milk would be fine.

If you have allergies, stock up on Zyrtec! Haha. I couldn't live without it.
I am ONLY confining him due to the fact I haven't gotten him to the vet yet and want to keep my self and my place clean and a healthy environment. I searched for a gate for HOURS due to the same reason you mentioned... he will most likely jump over or climb over or worse, get stuck and hurt himself.

I know Tidy Cats has some good ones but I personally think World's Best Cat Litter™ is probably the best considering what I read about it and all the reviews everywhere. Only way to know is to try it. I will certainly give it a shot once I run out of Yesterday's News. If it just works for me I will continue with it but I think I much prefers the World's Best Cat Litter™ formula in the long run.https://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/

I found a perfect gate, for almost $400 lol. Not a very smart weekend only solution. I would LOVE to get that gate and keep him contained when I am not home but I fear it is going to ruin our relationship and his own psychological state of mind. If I at least had a large room for him then fine but not a hallway which is 9FT long and 3.5FT wide.

I am gonna go to Home Depot tomorrow and see what I can build MYSELF in order to confine him when I have no choice but to do so. I could also get a large cat cage but I feel like that is not the best route.

I think I will try my best to get him to a groomer or a pet store (A nice lady said she will trim his nails for me and maybe she will do a flea check) and then the only concerns left are the parasites/worms but I could risk myself just by cleaning his litter box and petting him.

I will keep my bedroom door closed for sure at least until he goes to the vet and I know he is clean and healthy and I bathe him once. After that I will ONLY bathe him when he leaves the house. I wouldn't normally but with Covid being rampant and everything nowadays... I hope he will be okay with it.

The scratching posts were 50% off at PetSmart and I just went for it. I only opened one of them in-case it is not good quality or the kitten doesn't care for it. I also got corrugated mats for him which are designed better than the regular ones and don't create a mess.

I heard about PetSmart doing free deliveries through DoorDash. I may use it someday soon. Thanks for the tip still!

If I do decide on providing him with Goat's milk, I will not go the bottle way then.

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You sound like you have everything under control. post when you get him!
I really think that I do, I honestly feel confident now. There are still some question marks but that will come with experience and getting to know my kitten's personality.

I have so many pictures and videos already. Gonna post a little album once I bring him over to my place tomorrow.

Oh my God I'm so happy and so excited. I'm 31 years old and I feel like a child on Christmas who just got their first pet lol.

I can only imagine how children feel when they get a cat or a dog.

This is so exciting. :hyper::runaround::rolleyes2: