Getting my feral to come indoors now and then...

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My little feral has become a total sweetheart since I started relating to her after her sibs died. I guess I was her last stop before nowhere'sville, but she took my offer, and honestly, she is courteous, kind, affectionate, and communicative. Loves to purr and be petted.

She's even sat in my lap now three times! Her idea! I talk to her every day, etc.

She has ventured inside 3 times now but then runs out again. I would like her to have the indoors as an option. Any ideas on how I might do that? PS she is 11 yo or so, so for an "old" feral, she has learned a lot and is nicer than a lot of people I meet.

Tried feeding her treats once. But since I feed her anyway outdoors, that trick isn't a great one.

She is curious but hesitant. Thx!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
she has learned a lot and is nicer than a lot of people I meet.
Bless your heart!

You'll need patience, --she's started to trust you regarding the indoors. As long as you don't ramp up your expectations and become anxious or feeling like you want to rush things, which she will know instantly, things will progress.

You could try feeding a bit closer to the door she uses but still outside, then closer, and then at the door, then just inside the door... But go slowly. Give her time to adjust each You get the idea. There's no hurry :).

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might try leaving the door open while feeding. At any time you can actually. Ferals can do very well as indoor kitties. I have brought in and socialized many and they are the sweetest kitties!! I have brought in some older ones too. She already trusts you. You can take your time trying to coax her in. If she becomes permanently hesitant then I strongly urge you to take the lead and bring her in. If she is 11 then being an outside cat will begin to be more difficult for her. Is she spayed? Had immunizations? These are important to her survival. Especially as she ages. Being inside may be scary at first but once they understand that inside is a comfy and safe place they adjust and can even become reluctant to ever go outside again. If you need to get vet treatment, it will be much easier if she is an inside kitty. You might want to do what I did to start preparing her. I got a carrier, larger than the kitty actually needs, and made a bed inside. I started feeding in front of it first. Over time, I fed at the back of the carrier. (Always remove the food before dark , to keep predators or other cats away) Once she decides the carrier is a nice sanctuary, you can just close her in and bring her inside. She’ll feel better with her sanctuary coming inside with her as her safe place. If you teach this point with her, do post back so you can get details on the best way to help her settle in. You’ve done a very kind and loving thing by being there for her all this time. I know she loves you completely. Thank you for being her life line. I’m sure she is still around because of the care you have given her. You have saved her. :clap2::goldstar::redheartpump: Please let us know how you are both doing.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I would like her to have the indoors as an option. Any ideas on how I might do that?
I agree with what Furballsmom Furballsmom and Jcatbird Jcatbird mentioned. Since you have her on your lap 3 times already, it shows her trust in you. First thing is not to betray her trust.

The next time you have her on your lap, use clean towels and your clean unwashed garments and gently rub on her to soak up her scent and after that, place it all around your house. This is to give her the assurance that it is safe insider as her scent is all over the house. Also feed feed her at various part of the house to also let her know that it is safe to eat inside. As you are about to feed her, call her in from inside so through this, it'll be natural for her to go into the house instead of being carried in. This will boost her confidence too.

After a few tries, just make sure that there's no escape route, close the door where she came in from. Always be engaged with her in a soft loving tone and if she sits by the door to want to get out, assure her and lure her away from the door either with food or treats.

Once she has familiar scent in the house, she'll be more settled. Just don't chase her around. Let her move around if she's looking to get out. Once she's calmed down, talk to her and treat her again.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all! You are (collectively) the nicest, most acknowledging folks I've ever met on a forum. It's this forum that taught me how to relate to her at all when she wouldn't even talk to me (or ran away) even after I was feeding her and her two sibs (both deceased now) for eight years.

Having lost my only brother age 54 (me 52), and no family, except dh, my heart broke and I wanted to make contact with her and let her know she was not alone. Maybe I was projecting,but the sight of her in her chair where she used to cuddle with her two pals... all I could imagine, was, how confusing and lonely (and chilly) this must be for her.

I have made a really sweet "nest" for her outside but I am worried she is getting on in age. I do want to help her have a happy life and she's the one who initiated the lap climbing! I think she does care for me... a teeny bit.

I don't know if she has had any vaccinations since we moved in here in 2011, the ferals came with the house. They had been TNRed. But that's all i know. I was told she doesn't need any more vaccinations, but i want to make sure she is healthy.

I will try some of these ideas. She is fond of me to the point where she really doesn't even like it when I leave her to go inside.She tries all sorts of tricks to keep me playing with her!

I am afraid if I shut the door on her I will lose her trust.

Once one of the ferals came inside and freaked, years ago. It must not have been her. (It was hard to tell, they were identical.) The cat literally climbed the walls! Literally panicked and ran all over the house and we had to open every single door, until, by accident, the cat found its way out. So I am still a little scared, since then. But she seems curious, then hesitant. Over and over.

Below is Kitty Kat, and below that, Kitty Kat with her former sibs, I think she is the one on the left. Just from the look on her face. She was always (and still is) quite expressive, though as I got to know the other two, they were all so unique.

Attachments

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. When reading your above post, I remembered you from a previous post - the one with Sammie the neighbor's cat. Did that whole issue get resolved? I know I am not answering your current question - but the other members above have already given you good advice. I was just curious about the Sammie thing, because I was so hoping that could be resolved and you could find a way to bring Kitty Kat inside.

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oooh... (sniff sniff)... sad sad news.... Owners moved -- but three days beforehand, they let him out at night all night. And a friend and I saw him the first night he was out, played with him, etc. Thought he would just go home.

Reasonable assumption. He had been going home at night. They were moving away anyway and keeping him in at night, as it is coyote country, and she knew this.

After that night I never saw him again. Found out later through Nextdoor... coyotes...

Did I tell you their were "not quite" normal? Won't go into details. But quite sure they meant to do this.

She was/is pregnant, now-hubby had an aggressive dog, Sammie was de-compensating, bit me two different times, so hubby (and my dr.) didn't want me near him. I have cried a million tears, realizing I never dreamed they would do such a thing, otherwise I would have moved heaven and earth to keep him. I snuck behind everyone's back and held him and played with him and fed him, the last time I saw him, and told him how much I loved him, no matter what. I am so glad I did this.

People can be very heartless, I pray for Sammie and for them.

Last edited:

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I want to learn to bring Kitty Kat inside. I never know anymore what might happen in the future, but I realize she needs to have this skill. She is such an angel, kind, gentle, loving, it is almost shocking that she was a scared feral for so many years, Now she acts like a cat... almost. A domestic one.. that is.. Loves petting, pampering, and praise... tons of it!

PS And for anyone following this thread and FeebysOwner's comments, Sammie was our next door neighbor cat. We have fencing all around our property to keep out coyotes; I had offered to our neighbor to let Sammie set up a second home here, since he was always over here so much, day AND night, which was at least safe for him - but she refused, saying it "was confusing" to him. And basically blaming me for him not wanting to go home... (I think he was terrified of the dog, but it's all over now...). He was welcomed here, but apparently not in their lives.

So she kept him in at night, finally... until she didn't. Sammy was a handful, it would have been helpful to know how to keep them apart. But... I want to learn now, for Kitty Kat's sake in itself, how to have her feel at home indoors.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I want to learn to bring Kitty Kat inside.
Hi! I gave you some ideas, as did jcatbird, for a rather slow process. Are you saying you want to bring her inside and then keep her inside without letting her back out, in a much quicker manner? tabbytom tabbytom 's method will work more quickly.

Last edited:

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I want the option of bringing her inside, either to feed her in case there is a predator around, or to pet her if it's cold or raining, or if she ever has to see a vet or... idk... i think she needs this skill. And if we ever move, maybe we can take her if she can do this. Dh is totally against indoor cats but at least i can start with occasional indoors and see how that goes... thanks for asking. Dh is conceivably persuadable, he sees how upset i was about Sammie, but I think Kitty Kat would be out during the day, in at night at best, She's a feral, after all! At this point in life, not sure she'd enjoy indoor life.

Another obstacle is that I bought Advantage II flea medicine for small cats, but I am afraid to use it. Our neighbor said she used it at half strength... to not have a reaction. I think our ferals were born from this neighbor's cat. She is several doors down. What if she has a reaction? I read such horror stories, yet i know she needs to be treated to come inside.

|And... thank you for your suggestion. I have been taking all suggestions, so far winning with most of them. Biggest failure was failing to save Sammie but I realize I never dreamed in a million years this would happen. Never. I am doing what I can to heal. Pat of that is helping Kitty Kat be strong, and versatile. Indoor/outdoor.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Owners moved -- but three days beforehand, they let him out at night all night. And a friend and I saw him the first night he was out, played with him, etc. Thought he would just go home...After that night I never saw him again. Found out later through Nextdoor... coyotes... Did I tell you their were "not quite" normal? Won't go into details. But quite sure they meant to do this.
I remember very well about neighbors' antics. So sorry that it meant Sammie's demise, but as far as your neighbors go - "Good riddance to bad rubbish". So sorry for Sammie. :sniffle:
Another obstacle is that I bought Advantage II flea medicine for small cats, but I am afraid to use it.
To be quite honest with you, Advantage II is - as far as I am concerned - one of the safest on the market. I used it a long time ago on one of my other cats - and then briefly, many years ago, on Feeby. I just started having to use it again on Feeby (now 15+ yo) due to a flea infestation, and she has not had any issues with it.

What ever happened to the catio idea that you were considering? Enclosing her in an outside area might be the way to go to get her used to staying very nearby, and helping to prevent her from having a fate like Sammie's. Once she is used to being in the confined catio, offering her chances to come and go in/out of the house might even be more receptive to her.

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good to know about Feeby and the Advantage. Sorry about the fleas, though.

I worry about the catio. Kitty has been a free kitty for so long, I fear she will be miserable in a cage. How else can I put this?

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your empathy about Sammie. I am still having spells of grief. And disbelief that this ever happened. I loved him so very much.

And I love your saying, "Good riddance to bad rubbish." One of my own very favorites!!!

So true in this case. If only they could have left behind their best precious gem Sammie, he would have blossomed with love.

Like in Gone with the Wind, I will be Scarlet, now, and look to the future, there's always tomorrow, and another day, another cat who may need love, and maybe, hopefully, I can do better. Even with Kitty Kat. Poor kitty, got me, a total clueless city girl. How she has tolerated me! Thanks to you, and all of you who have helped all along.

I wish you could see Kitty Kat. She has transformed. She smiles so much now. She's a pint-size little one, but all muscle, and sweet as candy!

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
but I think Kitty Kat would be out during the day, in at night at best, She's a feral, after all!
Once indoors, never let her out again. She'll get accustomed to the indoors which is the safest for her. Many ferals was brought indoors by many members and well, they did stay indoors and not wanted to get out again.