Getting my cat used to a new puppy....

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 3 year old cat, when she got here, she was 3 months old, and she came to a house with a small dog (not sure the breed lol) and an american bulldog (Tommy), they were both around 5-6 years old when she got here. In the 3 years ive had her, she has only purposely scratched someone once, and that was Tommy, it was in the first week, because he would follow her and hyperventilate, slobber, and get super excited, he cornered her and she scratched him. She hasnt done it since, and they all get along really well. they are really affectionate with each other now, there hasnt been anymore issues with them.

BUT! My niece just brought a new puppy 3 days ago, he is very energetic, and basically the average kind of puppy. My cat got really nervous when he first got here, but at first seemed to not mind him too much. but today the puppy was playing with the other two dogs, and my cat hid on some chairs, her tail was fluffy as if she was scared. Tommy seemed concerned so he put his face near her, and she hissed at him, and she hissed at the puppy. She even swiped at Tommy, like telling him to go away. She didnt hurt him, she just seemed to want them to leave her alone.

My cat is normally a calm cat, that rarely hisses. why is she so upset with this new puppy? what can i do? i dont want my cat to turn into the type of cat that would hurt others. Shes normally very patient and even puts up with my 3 year old niece, who is extremely affection and grabs and hugs her. please help, i dont like the thought of my cat being uncomfortable in her own home.

Last edited:

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I suspect one of the main reasons she's having trouble is that the puppy is new and cats sometimes take awhile to get used to new things. The puppy is also, fast and bouncy and energetic and...well..a puppy.
That's a change t her routine that she's going to find stressful no matter how easily she usually deals with new things.

Does she have places in the house that she can go to the get away from the puppy? Also, is it possible to keep the puppy out of a room or two, so the she knows she has a safe spot to go to? I've found baby gates work well for this since the cat can hop over them, but the dog can't.

You may also want to re-start a full introduction between the two. There are some great tips and a process to follow here: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-dogs

Since she already gets along with your current dog, it's pretty likely she'll eventually get used to the puppy. It may just take some time.

helsic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think the problem is not because it's a puppy but because it's a change in the environment. I'm pretty sure if instead of a puppy you bring a kitten or another cat in the house, she will feel the same. And plus the puppy is loud, unpredictable and can be extremely annoying for a cat. I suggest you to find her a place in the house where she can scape from the puppy and be alone and relax, also try to slowly introduce them again~

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, both of you! =)

yes, my cat has my room to go to, the dog is not allowed in here. she also has alot of high places.

we are trying to let her see him around the house so she can get used to him, but she likes to stare at him and almost seems to want to confront him, but runs if he comes near. lol

if he is on the sofa she will sit and stare until he is taken away.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The puppy has invaded her territory.  I agree with what has been said; be sure she has places to go escape the puppy and read over the article Ms. Freya linked on how to introduce the two.  Introductions can take time and patience; so don't be discouraged with how she is acting now. It's very normal!